Out & About

TexasTVNews

4 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

The TXA21 (KTXA - CBS 11 Sister Station) branding is no more... As of today, TXA21 is now Texas 21.

quU0ClC9.jpg

Yeah, more like the last few weeks. Been seeing promos with the new name during Jeopardy.

Also, they are now the second media outlet in Dallas with a highway sign logo. The other?

738CE209-12EF-4923-AA58-86B0733CA1A2.jpeg

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheOneManHerd said:

There's also this, which looks even worse. But it's also a microscopic market compared to DFW. 

Nbc5.png

Wow. I didn’t know about the KOBI/KOTI logo; it is small, but I wouldn’t say it looks worse than KTXA’s logo....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Some New M&As. 

NBC is acquiring Telemundo affiliates in Sacramento & Salt Lake City, owned by Serestar Communications  for $21M.

Also, Scripps is buying independent station WHDT in Stuart, FL, from Gunter Marksteiner, for $25M. 

It already owns the NBC station WPTV and operates the Raycom-owned Fox outlet WFLX.

No telling what they'll be using the new channel for, once the deal is done.

Did they buy the CW or MyNetwork affiliation from Sinclair behind the scenes? That's just about the only reason I could come up with for why Scripps would want WHDT unless they plan on moving WFLX's unit to that channel. I mean, this is out of left field, here.

47 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Did they buy the CW or MyNetwork affiliation from Sinclair behind the scenes? That's just about the only reason I could come up with for why Scripps would want WHDT unless they plan on moving WFLX's unit to that channel. I mean, this is out of left field, here.

Would make sense, especially if Gray and/or Scripps are terminating the SSA and "Fox 29" moves to WHDT. However, that does leave Gray with a WFLX without any programming.

4 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

Would make sense, especially if Gray and/or Scripps are terminating the SSA and "Fox 29" moves to WHDT. However, that does leave Gray with a WFLX without any programming.

You can just dump that off on anyone that'll put some programming on it that would otherwise be on a digital subchannel.

2 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

One problem though. A move of "Fox 29" to WHDT would run afoul of the rule the FCC put in place a few years ago that makes such moves subject to the top four rule.

53 minutes ago, broadcastfan9751 said:

One problem though. A move of "Fox 29" to WHDT would run afoul of the rule the FCC put in place a few years ago that makes such moves subject to the top four rule.

How do you know that WHDT will become a top 4 station as a Fox affiliate? It's never universal that the Top 4 will consist of Fox, CBS, NBC and ABC. Chicago, Miami, Fresno, San Antonio, El Paso, St. Louis and Hampton Roads (the latter two of which alternate, staying in those spots just long enough for certain combinations to be approved), show that very well. 

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast

On 12/6/2018 at 12:19 AM, CircleSeven said:

Some New M&As. 

NBC is acquiring Telemundo affiliates in Sacramento & Salt Lake City, owned by Serestar Communications  for $21M.

Hmmmmm... do you think we might see some Boston-type shenanigans that might happen in Sacramento or Salt Lake?  I really couldn’t see NBCUni pulling the affiliation from KCRA or KSL though.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:19 AM, CircleSeven said:

Some New M&As. 

Also, Scripps is buying independent station WHDT in Stuart, FL, from Gunter Marksteiner, for $25M. 

It already owns the NBC station WPTV and operates the Raycom-owned Fox outlet WFLX.

No telling what they'll be using the new channel for, once the deal is done.

Odd that they’re buying back in Salt Lake.

8 minutes ago, RCA TK47 said:

Hmmmmm... do you think we might see some Boston-type shenanigans that might happen in Sacramento or Salt Lake?  I really couldn’t see NBCUni pulling the affiliation from KCRA or KSL though.

They’d be crazy to pull it.  KCRA is such a strong affiliate and KSL was too. 

9 minutes ago, RCA TK47 said:

The WHDH-to-WBTS situation happened because of Ed Ansin's long-running feud with NBC. Hard to see that happening with KSL or KCRA, especially since the latter is a strong NBC affiliate.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

The WHDH-to-WBTS situation happened because of Ed Ansin's long-running feud with NBC. Hard to see that happening with KSL or KCRA, especially since the latter is a strong NBC affiliate.

I think in this case..considering that NBC is buying 2 Telemunndo affiliates it does not mean that KCRA or KSL have anything to worry about. KCRA is a Hearst station and very strong, and also probably has a strong group wide affiliation deal with NBC. KSL has been very strong and the other part is that NBC did have KUTV as an O&O for a minute before the deal with Westinghouse/CBS back in 1994 which swapped KUTV/KCNC/KYW to CBS for WCAU/WTVJ change of channel number and something else.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic