Out & About

TexasTVNews

I know most won't have a WSJ subscription, but the meat of the article is what you would expect.

More than 1 million consumers canceled their cable-TV or satellite subscriptions in the past quarter, one of the largest seasonal drops ever, stepping up pressure on pay-TV providers to generate revenue elsewhere.

Old-guard companies have turned to streaming services and partnerships with digital video startups to stanch the loss of pay-TV subscribers, yet figures reviewed by The Wall Street Journal show that those tactics have failed to halt the erosion of what used to be one of the entertainment industry’s most profitable businesses.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/outlook-for-traditional-tv-goes-from-bad-to-worse-1542632401?mod=hp_lead_pos3

• Like 1

Eric Elwell out at WHIO, heading back to WBNS. Presumably to replace Chris Bradley?

How do you know he's going back to WBNS? He mentioned on his FB page that he is going back to Columbus but didn't say where. I know he probably can't for non-compete reasons as the other stations in both markets are owned by Sinclair and Nexstar. But would that even fall under non-compete if it's a different market?

• Like 2

How do you know he's going back to WBNS? He mentioned on his FB page that he is going back to Columbus but didn't say where. I know he probably can't for non-compete reasons as the other stations in both markets are owned by Sinclair and Nexstar. But would that even fall under non-compete if it's a different market?

I mistyped — I simply meant “my best guess would be he’s heading back to WBNS”

I checked the different websites in the Columbus market... there aren’t any job openings at WSYX or WCMH.

In fact, WCMH just hired a new meteorologist, and the only news-related openings I was able to find through Nexstar were for a weekend anchor/reporter (is Katie Ferrell leaving already?), photographer and producer.

WSYX doesn’t have any meteorologist jobs open. Only news-related jobs open are for producers, general assignment reporters, and for a MC operator.

Chris Bradley is dying, sadly, and people have been leaving left and right, as the Wolfes have made cuts in the news and sales departments. In fact their ND Kelly Frank, who had been in charge since 2014, just left some time ago and went to WTSP in Florida.

I mistyped — I simply meant “my best guess would be he’s heading back to WBNS”

I checked the different websites in the Columbus market... there aren’t any job openings at WSYX or WCMH.

In fact, WCMH just hired a new meteorologist, and the only news-related openings I was able to find through Nexstar were for a weekend anchor/reporter (is Katie Ferrell leaving already?), photographer and producer.

WSYX doesn’t have any meteorologist jobs open. Only news-related jobs open are for producers, general assignment reporters, and for a MC operator.

Chris Bradley is dying, sadly, and people have been leaving left and right, as the Wolfes have made cuts in the news and sales departments. In fact their ND Kelly Frank, who had been in charge since 2014, just left some time ago and went to WTSP in Florida.

If it is indeed WBNS that he's heading to, it was incredibly tone deaf for him to announce his move to Columbus less than 24 hours after Bradley said he's dying and going into hospice. WHIO gets some of the blame, tho, too, for demoting him to the noon newscast effective today ... a month and a half before he's actually leaving ... prompting the announcement. Why?!?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

If it is indeed WBNS that he's heading to, it was incredibly tone deaf for him to announce his move to Columbus less than 24 hours after Bradley said he's dying and going into hospice. WHIO gets some of the blame, tho, too, for demoting him to the noon newscast effective today ... a month and a half before he's actually leaving ... prompting the announcement. Why?!?

WBNS would be a logical choice for Elwell to return to.

He spent 17 years there, as the chief meteorologist for their statewide operation— the Ohio News Network, and 3 years as WBNS’ weekend meteorologist. If indeed he is returning to 10, he or Mike Davis would be the best choice to replace Chris. People want a familiar name/face.

Edited by Guest

It probably was a double douche move all happening over the weekend.

WBNS finds out Bradley is going to die (surely before he made the statement on social media), calls Elwell and says “Hey, we need a new Chief Met. Wanna come back?” Elwell says “Sure!”. Elwell tells WHIO, “Hey I got offered the Chief position at my old station, I’m going to take it and leave in a month and a half” WHIO says “Oh really?!!” “Well good for you!” “You’re demoted to Noon and McCall Vrydaghs will take your place effective immediately!”.

Or in reality knowing how much of a good guy Eric Elwell is, he told them and graciously scaled back to the Noon to make room for McCall Vrydaghs right away. But he really should have waited a week to announce why he’s on at Noon and McCall is on at night.

I know most won't have a WSJ subscription, but the meat of the article is what you would expect.

More than 1 million consumers canceled their cable-TV or satellite subscriptions in the past quarter, one of the largest seasonal drops ever, stepping up pressure on pay-TV providers to generate revenue elsewhere.

Old-guard companies have turned to streaming services and partnerships with digital video startups to stanch the loss of pay-TV subscribers, yet figures reviewed by The Wall Street Journal show that those tactics have failed to halt the erosion of what used to be one of the entertainment industry’s most profitable businesses.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/outlook-for-traditional-tv-goes-from-bad-to-worse-1542632401?mod=hp_lead_pos3

People are cancelling because they're charging so damn much. It's a negative feedback loop. You raise prices, someone can't afford it so they drop it, cable companies lose money so they feel the need (I won't say 'have') to raise prices, someone can't afford it...

I'm pretty young (early 20s). Most people my age don't have cable and the number one reason why is it's too expensive.

What isn't being discussed, though, is that some people are buying streaming platforms that sometimes they're paying nearly as much if they just had cable. The difference is that they can cancel it whenever and bring it back whenever, no problem. Others refuse to pay. Why? Because it's too expensive.

• Like 2

Folks, it was three months ago I predict Jason Wheeler would be John McCaa's successor when he retires in March of next year... but I was wrong, it's Chris Lawrence who'll be joining News 8 at 5, 6 & The Update at 10pm. Lawrence who's currently at WRC/NBC 4 will join WFAA in January 2019, the station announced today, and will move into the evening anchor role filled by McCaa, who has already announced that he'll retire March 1st.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/chris-lawrence-joins-wfaa-to-co-anchor-evening-newscasts-in-march-2019/287-615957480

• Like 1

Folks, it was three months ago I predict Jason Wheeler would be John McCaa's successor when he retires in March of next year... but I was wrong, it's Chris Lawrence who'll be joining News 8 at 5, 6 & The Update at 10pm. Lawrence who's currently at WRC/NBC 4 will join WFAA in January 2019, the station announced today, and will move into the evening anchor role filled by McCaa, who has already announced that he'll retire March 1st.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/chris-lawrence-joins-wfaa-to-co-anchor-evening-newscasts-in-march-2019/287-615957480

I'm a bit skeptical about bringing in a fresh face to a station like WFAA. I'm curious as to what stopped Wheeler from getting the position.

• Like 1

Eric Elwell out at WHIO, heading back to WBNS. Presumably to replace Chris Bradley?

Or maybe Eric is truly getting out the industry? Bit of a jerk move on your part to speculate he's going to replace Chris Bradley without any knowledge of the situation (outside of Chris's advanced Leukemia, of course).

Edited by Guest

It probably was a double douche move all happening over the weekend.

WBNS finds out Bradley is going to die (surely before he made the statement on social media), calls Elwell and says “Hey, we need a new Chief Met. Wanna come back?” Elwell says “Sure!”. Elwell tells WHIO, “Hey I got offered the Chief position at my old station, I’m going to take it and leave in a month and a half” WHIO says “Oh really?!!” “Well good for you!” “You’re demoted to Noon and McCall Vrydaghs will take your place effective immediately!”.

Or in reality knowing how much of a good guy Eric Elwell is, he told them and graciously scaled back to the Noon to make room for McCall Vrydaghs right away. But he really should have waited a week to announce why he’s on at Noon and McCall is on at night.

It's not that simple. If Eric breached his contract to leave* he would have to pay WHIO the money they would have payed him if he worked out his contract. Unless you are prepared to lawyer up, or have a damn good reason to breach your contract, you're pretty much locked in. It is a contract after all.

***I'm not saying he did. Just hypothetically speaking***

Edited by H4UL4U

Since Mike Davis has been filling in on evenings, who has been handling mornings?

If Elwell is returning to WBNS, he could possibly get the morning job especially if the interim wants their old job back. Keeping Mike Davis in the evenings may be good for stability, given all of the other changes afoot...

• Like 3

Since Mike Davis has been filling in on evenings, who has been handling mornings?

If Elwell is returning to WBNS, he could possibly get the morning job especially if the interim wants their old job back. Keeping Mike Davis in the evenings may be good for stability, given all of the other changes afoot...

Ashlee Baracy and Ross Caruso both work mornings. Your screename makes me chuckle every time I see one of your posts BTW.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

You can stick a fork in CT's longtime anchor Gerry Brooks, he's just about done. The long time WVIT (NBC CT) anchor wraps up another November book tomorrow and this one will be his last. Brooks says that he is retiring tomorrow when the November book wraps up.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/11/20/signing-off-in-ct

Not surprised. When you go up against Spanish networks like Telemundo and Univision (whom is having it's own problems up against Telemundo), then you don't have much of a chance to compete. Look at what happened to MundoFOX and that ABC venture whose name escapes me.

Fusion was the name of the ABC venture.

Also, let us not forget that Liberman Broadcasting was the venture behind the infamous Spanish talk show “Jose Luis Sin Censura” (basically the Spanish language version of “Jerry Springer”); that show, if I’m not mistaken, got SEVERAL of Liberman’s stations (if not the entire company) in hot water with the FCC several years ago.....

• Like 1

Also, let us not forget that Liberman Broadcasting was the venture behind the infamous Spanish talk show “Jose Luis Sin Censura” (basically the Spanish language version of “Jerry Springer”); that show, if I’m not mistaken, got SEVERAL of Liberman’s stations (if not the entire company) in hot water with the FCC several years ago.....

Yeah, they eventually reached a consent decree with the FCC and had to pay $110K to the US Treasury.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-13-2036A1.pdf

Guess management felt Wheeler was a better fit for afternoons.

So basically all WFAA did was groomed Wheeler to do afternoon newscasts instead of succeeding John McCaa on the evening newscasts. Alrighty then, that was their choice

• Like 2

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic