Out & About

TexasTVNews

https://www.wral.com/david-crabtree-delays-retirement-will-stay-at-wral-through-2020/17976679/

David Crabtree is postponing his retirement from WRAL for another couple years.

I have to wonder what this means for Brad Johansen - who was hired to replace him. The station is responding to folks asking about Brad on Facebook rather ominously...wral.jpg.891a96fa3fffb18bc9d66a102456d06b.jpg :

• Like 1

They were very careful never to say that Brad Johansen would directly replace Crabtree. He was obviously hired to fill a vacancy that would be left by Crabtree leaving, but I was under the impression that Gerald Owens might move up to 6p and Johansen would be the 4p/5:30p/late night anchor. When Jeff Hogan was hired it was said from the start that he would replace Bill Leslie, but the same has not been said of Brad that I recall.

Edited by Guest

They were very careful never to say that Brad Johansen would directly replace Crabtree. He was obviously hired to fill a vacancy that would be left by Crabtree leaving, but I was under the impression that Gerald Owens might move up to 6p and Johansen would be the 4p/5:30p/late night anchor. When Jeff Hogan was hired it was said from the start that he would replace Bill Leslie, but the same has not been said of Brad that I recall.

Interesting - especially since viewers likely assumed Johansen was going to get a full-time anchor role when Crabtree retired.

This is speculation, but I wonder if this opens the door for him to come back to Cincinnati. A little digging on his Twitter feed reveals his high school age daughter is still attending HS in the Cincinnati area. And Kyle Inskeep isn’t terribly captivating at the anchor desk. (They should’ve given that role to Adam Clements, who was very publicly trying out for the role, but I digress.)

It has to be frustrating to leave WKRC after 20+ years (with no Rob Braun retirement in sight) for a lead anchor gig, only to get sidelined a year into it.

Edited by Guest

No more 9pm newscast on KLAS-TV Las Vegas. Their 8.2 subchannel reverted back to the MeTV lineup for the hour.

A good indicator a station has zero long-term commitment to a "new" newscast...

No outside promotion or ads.

No billboards...

No Bus ads...

No outside radio...

No newspapers...

No commitment.

• Like 3

Looks like he was playing with more than just the "one armed bandit"...Cops say he "whipped it out"...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/las-vegas-sports-reporter-arrested-for-lewd-acts-at-bar-police

One employee told two responding officers they'd seen Howe walking to the restroom with his penis exposed, police said. Other employees reportedly told police it wasn’t the first time they’d seen Howe masturbate at the bar, according to the report.

"Ewwwwww!"

(emphasis mine)

Suspicious package outside KDFW

[MEDIA=twitter]1061948290697113600[/MEDIA]

UPDATE: Package is not a threat, according to Dallas Police.

Sounds like KDFW needs more security. First the guy who rammed the building with a truck. Now this ...

• Like 1

Sounds like KDFW needs more security. First the guy who rammed the building with a truck. Now this ...

Problem with KDFW is that it appears it is is up against by three streets and looks like their main lot is across a Patterson Street from the station. So something that appears in the street but off the property could still cause alarm. The only thing they could do security wise is put up bollards on the sidewalks but they may not be able to do it as the sidewalks are likely government property.

3B30BE1B-B03D-46A7-924F-BD41200052DD.thumb.jpeg.9fd53baccd1b6605b005dce5d3316ea8.jpeg

9CC9CE2A-D0AA-4130-9ED2-C9CFEE8D5F5C.thumb.jpeg.5b10ba362348c8175f5e45fe5b12e5df.jpeg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

A good indicator a station has zero long-term commitment to a "new" newscast...

No outside promotion or ads.

No billboards...

No Bus ads...

No outside radio...

No newspapers...

No commitment.

I believe Nexstar doesn't use any outside promotion for its news programming, at least from where I live.

• Like 2

Don't forget that Jeff Hogan left WBNS in Columbus for WRAL after he got tired of waiting for Jerry Ravish to retire.

There has been an active shooter at a hospital in Medina, Ohio, and this is what was going on the four news stations in Cleveland around 2:30pm and 3pm.

WKYC - local news coverage

WJW - local news coverage

WOIO - local news coverage

WEWS - General Hospital and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire!!!!!

News 5 didn't bother to go into breaking news coverage, except for a ticker at the bottom on-air, and of course its website and social media. To me, that's like saying not to bother watching the station anymore. That is a prime example of dropping the ball big time.

WEWS - General Hospital and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire!!!!!

News 5 didn't bother to go into breaking news coverage, except for a ticker at the bottom on-air, and of course its website and social media. To me, that's like saying not to bother watching the station anymore. That is a prime example of dropping the ball big time.

First, KJRH and now WEWS. I really hope Scripps can realize that this isn't the way to do things. Otherwise, I feel sorry for Cordillera, KXXV, WTXL and potentially Tribune or Cox as well.

• Like 2

First, KJRH and now WEWS. I really hope Scripps can realize that this isn't the way to do things. Otherwise, I feel sorry for Cordillera, KXXV, WTXL and potentially Tribune or Cox as well.

WEWS mentioned during The Now Cleveland that they were going to stream a press conference for the arrests related to a different crime on its app instead of airing it on its newscast.

WEWS mentioned during The Now Cleveland that they were going to stream a press conference for the arrests related to a different crime on its app instead of airing it on its newscast.

Posted in another thread it was a hoax. You all can put your fur down.

Revish has a few years left in him.

Not to sound like an ageist, he's 69 almost 70. I'm thinking he will be there (2) more years. Which will give him 40 yrs at BNS.

However, despite the station being dominate it newscast is stale it not hip or nor it demos go to a younger demo. I think being with

CBS also hurts them. SYX definitely does well in younger demos.

• Like 1

Problem with KDFW is that it appears it is is up against by three streets and looks like their main lot is across a Patterson Street from the station. So something that appears in the street but off the property could still cause alarm. The only thing they could do security wise is put up bollards on the sidewalks but they may not be able to do it as the sidewalks are likely government property.

[ATTACH=full]6768[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6769[/ATTACH]

The front of the building (Griffin St. side) would have more room for bollards, but the Patterson and San Jacinto sides are pretty much flush with the street. One thing they could do along Patterson (the side where the pickup smashed the windows) is rebuild similar to the way the San Jacinto side is with a solid wall, but have windows just along the upper part of the wall so light could still get in. BTW, the parking lot across Patterson is a public lot (but historically related--it was the last location for the former Dallas Times Herald (KDFW's originally co-owned newspaper) before it gave up in 1991); all of KDFW & KDFI employees and company vehicles park within the east side of the building.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic