Out & About

TexasTVNews

Kim Passoth is leaving WGCL and heading to California

She was quite young to lead a Top 10 market newscast, but her and Mike Dunston made a good weekend team. And the revolving door continues to spin...

Meanwhile, I've watched a newscast with Thomas Roberts and Sharon Reed. I have to say, Thomas was a great pick. At least on the newscast I've seen, he stumbled very little and he made watching a newscast with Sharon Reed actually bearable. I wish them nothing but success with him!

Steve Edwards, Dorothy Lucey and Jillian Barberie. When you think of those three names, what comes to mind? Well, they're reuniting but NOT what you think. They're co-hosting a podcast called 'OK LA, as we were saying', a litte takeoff of GDLA even with inspired logo, thru 790KABC where jillian co-host 'The Drive' in the afternoon. Started a few weeks ago.

http://www.kabc.com/okla-2/

Considering how utterly abysmal KABC 790’s ratings have been over the past decade (a mediocre AM-only signal in a really big market where talk stations struggle in), it almost sounds like Cumulus is slow-auditioning Edwards and Lucey to re-team with Jillian.

• Like 1

You have to wonder how Vindicator/WFMJ is staying in it these days....GateHouse has been buying up anything that moves in Ohio (including the Columbus Dispatch, Akron Beacon Journal, and the former Dix properties centered around Northeast Ohio).

It's probably the perfect combination of well-capitalized ownership in a declining city that few companies would be interested in purchasing.

Youngstown is - not joking - half the size it was about 40 years ago, but it’s voter base is so chaotic and politically unpredictable. (Hell, they supported Traficant’s toupee, I mean, Traficant, for decades...)

Political ad spending in a market like that has got to be ridiculous.

• Like 2

Youngstown is - not joking - half the size it was about 40 years ago, but it’s voter base is so chaotic and politically unpredictable. (Hell, they supported Traficant’s toupee, I mean, Traficant, for decades...)

Political ad spending in a market like that has got to be ridiculous.

Do you know why they supported Traficant? Umm. the mob runs Youngstown that why.

• Like 1

Considering how utterly abysmal KABC 790’s ratings have been over the past decade (a mediocre AM-only signal in a really big market where talk stations struggle in), it almost sounds like Cumulus is slow-auditioning Edwards and Lucey to re-team with Jillian.

The last book has them #40 in a 50-station metered market, only above KLOVE/Air1, Spanish sports talk and tied with a Persian station. At this point, their ratings and schedule make WBAI look competent and altogether in comparison.

• Like 2

KJRH has made some changes to its' daytime schedule.

The station's midday newscast has moved from 11am to noon, joining KOTV and KOKI at that timeslot. 'Days of Our Lives' has moved from noon to 1pm, replacing the 4th hour of 'Today', which has taken over the 11am slot.

Somehow I missed that weekend anchor Tom Mustin wasn't renewed at KCNC and left in December.

He resurfaced in the last week or so on KMGH with Theresa Marchetta, another former KCNC anchor from long ago.

[MEDIA=twitter]1029567865815412736[/MEDIA]

I can't tell whether or not he's just freelancing, but I'm glad he's on TV again. I always liked his style.

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/denver-station-releases-longtime-anchor-tom-mustin/198144

• Like 2

Where is KGTV military reporter Hanna Mullens?

Nothing from the reporter with the 13" waist since mid March.

And what about that Bree Stephens....she is also MIA.

Oh well...

Here is a cute pic of Hanna playing Army...call if you spot her.

mullens.jpg.5d091133bf146fe498c16a299dba73e3.jpg

Where is KGTV military reporter Hanna Mullens?

Nothing from the reporter with the 13" waist since mid March.

And what about that Bree Stephens....she is also MIA.

Oh well...

Here is a cute pic of Hanna playing Army...call if you spot her.

[ATTACH=full]6344[/ATTACH]

It looks like Mullins is working for a non-profit that assists military families with pet bills.

Bree appears to have freaked out after being tackled live on TV. Her website indicates she just got back from a long photography internship in Africa, while her husband runs a bar in Point Loma.

I just returned from north county myself. My brother and his wife don't even watch the local news, just Netflix and Hulu. Good luck, San Diego stations.

Jacqueline Bennett resigns from NBC Boston and headed Back to Southern California.

Wish she can come back to The Bay Area, but with her family down in SoCal and husband in the Military, I hope she can find a spot back in SD.....KFMB?

• Like 1

KJRH has made some changes to its' daytime schedule.

The station's midday newscast has moved from 11am to noon, joining KOTV and KOKI at that timeslot. 'Days of Our Lives' has moved from noon to 1pm, replacing the 4th hour of 'Today', which has taken over the 11am slot.

This leaves KTUL as Tulsa's only 11am newscast

Jacqueline Bennett resigns from NBC Boston and headed Back to Southern California.

Wish she can come back to The Bay Area, but with her family down in SoCal and husband in the Military, I hope she can find a spot back in SD.....KFMB?

The job posting for a meteorologist is still there. I'd enjoy watching her at KFMB.

• Like 2

Last Friday, WBTV aired it's final 8pm show on its Bounce TV subchannel.

[MEDIA=twitter]1030638386221142017[/MEDIA]

It's too bad, but 4 1/2 years is a long time for a news & local show on a diginet-subchannel. Most news in the DFW area that was made for (or repeated on) an indie or subchannel there hasn't lasted very long.

It's too bad, but 4 1/2 years is a long time for a news & local show on a diginet-subchannel. Most news in the DFW area that was made for (or repeated on) an indie or subchannel there hasn't lasted very long.

The DFW market can never have nice things.

The DFW market can never have nice things.

Well, now, 'never' is a long time, but likely in some ways, you're right. Other than not having a general-purpose alternate like NY1 or the new Spectrum L.A. news channel, DFW does fair-to-pretty good with quality and availability of news. There should be more than the big 4 English-language/big 2 Spanish-language for news in north TX (including a WPIX/WGN/KTLA-quality CW station), but still... For DFW to not have any more than it does, you still see veteran anchors/reporters moving up the food chain to the networks from there.

The big problem with subchannel news is three things; people who shun you because you aren't airing what's on nationally at that time (probably one reason Hearst can't make their MeTV shows work), lack of promotion, and horrid advertising. WITI couldn't sell an ad to save its life on Antenna TV when they had to shift the regular shows there during the World Cup, so it was a continuous loop of PSAs and the occasional national class action ad. And most of the time whenever you try to market a network the way it wants to be (Justice Network wants you to air local pieces, the long-dead TheCoolTV wants local artists to submit videos), nobody cares. They just see it as another place to watch reruns of a certain genre or don't even think of it as an OTA subchannel, especially on cable.

• Like 5

The big problem with subchannel news is three things; people who shun you because you aren't airing what's on nationally at that time (probably one reason Hearst can't make their MeTV shows work), lack of promotion, and horrid advertising. WITI couldn't sell an ad to save its life on Antenna TV when they had to shift the regular shows there during the World Cup, so it was a continuous loop of PSAs and the occasional national class action ad. And most of the time whenever you try to market a network the way it wants to be (Justice Network wants you to air local pieces, the long-dead TheCoolTV wants local artists to submit videos), nobody cares. They just see it as another place to watch reruns of a certain genre or don't even think of it as an OTA subchannel, especially on cable.

Duopoly news, however, can do well in some instances (See: KUSA on KTVD, WSOC on WAXN).

• Like 4

Now you wonder why Hearst has been buying up the duopoly bait stations as of late

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic