Out & About

TexasTVNews

OK, you whippersnappers... try halfway through 53. You'll be wanting that 20 or 30 back, I'm sure.

Haha just turned 22 this year and finding myself getting more agitated with people asking about my age. I think I'm connecting growing up with increased responsibilities and my brain resents the idea.

I'm hearing rumors, new rumors out tonight, that WFMJ may FINALLY get into the 21st century themselves by launching a 5:00 p.m. newscast. No official word on that yet (or even if its just a half-hour or a full-hour) but if it does happen, you heard it here first on TVNT.

• Like 3

Famous in my book!

Nexstar and KRON just lost a good reporter and a household brand. I hope Penny-Pinchin' Perry is happy.

I can't even see PBB working in PHX because people are too well behaved in AZ.

I'm really kinda shocked that nobody local in the B.A. picked him up. He is also a pretty solid beat reporter.

• Like 5

I'm hearing rumors, new rumors out tonight, that WFMJ may FINALLY get into the 21st century themselves by launching a 5:00 p.m. newscast. No official word on that yet (or even if its just a half-hour or a full-hour) but if it does happen, you heard it here first on TVNT.

Wow! I sure hope so. Like WJZ with their set, WFMJ needs to join the 21st century and launch a 5pm newscast. They even have an hour-long noon news, for crying out loud.

I doubt CW would want to stick their toes into news market again

they've tried it over a decade ago and failed.

WUPA back when it was UPN 69 Atlanta

the news cast was produced by WXIA

I can't imagine why it failed other than it went up against WAGA (which is why WGCL chooses to do a 9pm for Peachtree TV), but I thought that was great!

Also, and you can fight me on this, but Karyn Greer is so underrated. She is one of the best anchors the Atlanta market has ever had (almost up there with Amanda Davis and Brenda Wood, but not to the level of Monica Kauffman-Pearson) and I hate that both 11Alive and CBS 46 haven't kept her in a more permanent role for much of her time at both stations. If there's challenges behind the scenes that we don't know about that's understandable, but if there isn't than she has been shafted for years.

I've heard that WFMJ has hired some anchors for this new newscast.

Well I guess that makes sense. But I don't see why they wouldn't just use the two anchors they have for the 6 & 11 o'clock news...

Has Dick Goddard ever appeared on TV since his retirement? I know he committed the rest of his career to the "four foots" (animal welfare) that has been his passion for decades...but it's a good thing he hang it up before all of the ownership drama over Tribune and Sinclair heated up..(and about to go back to the drawing board any day now....)

I still think Robin Swoboda still has one more TV stint in her....and WOIO is the only place she hasn't worked at yet.

John Loufman is the only Cleveland TV personality I know of that has the distinction of working at ALL 4 stations in some form over time. He may have been a "floater" who had short-term gigs to fill in-between people and when others were on vacation. Cleveland had a bunch of them it seems in the 1990s...was it a union thing?

Heck, I still see Don Webster (longtime meteorologist at WEWS) in commercials, and he's been retired for close to 20 years, if not longer. When Dick Goddard returned to the air for his "retirement" he seemed quite frail.

For years WKYC was a revolving door due to their O&O status. Essentially it was the minor league for NBC's talent. They would do their time at KYC then move on to a larger O&O station, or in some cases like Al Roker, go straight to the network.

I can't even see PBB working in PHX because people are too well behaved in AZ.

I'm really kinda shocked that nobody local in the B.A. picked him up. He is also a pretty solid beat reporter.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a return to the SF market (if someone is willing to pay up) when his Phoenix contract expires.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a return to the SF market (if someone is willing to pay up) when his Phoenix contract expires.

he might not want to return once he sees how far his dollar goes...and the better schools...nicer people...less traffic(much less) cheaper gas...less poo and needles...cheaper and better housing...

...and SANE normal people.

• Like 2

he might not want to return once he sees how far his dollar goes...and the better schools...nicer people...less traffic(much less) cheaper gas...less poo and needles...cheaper and better housing...

...and SANE normal people.

Better schools? Good one.

I can't imagine why it failed other than it went up against WAGA (which is why WGCL chooses to do a 9pm for Peachtree TV), but I thought that was great!

Also, and you can fight me on this, but Karyn Greer is so underrated. She is one of the best anchors the Atlanta market has ever had (almost up there with Amanda Davis and Brenda Wood, but not to the level of Monica Kauffman-Pearson) and I hate that both 11Alive and CBS 46 haven't kept her in a more permanent role for much of her time at both stations. If there's challenges behind the scenes that we don't know about that's understandable, but if there isn't than she has been shafted for years.

I agree Karyn Greer is underrated but I wouldn't put her amongst the ranks of those

anchors personally me I would put Lisa Rayam over Karyn Greer.

No order, I my fav Atlanta anchors

Anchor: Lisa Rayam

Sports: Ken Rodriguez

Weather: Ken Cook & Markina Brown (Shes was a head turner, ALWAYS grabbed your atttention)

Investigator: Morse Diggs.

Honorable Mentions: Jeff Hullinger and Jovita Moore

• Like 1

WOW! Now that's news!

• Like 2

I agree Karyn Greer is underrated but I wouldn't put her amongst the ranks of those

anchors personally me I would put Lisa Rayam over Karyn Greer.

No order, I my fav Atlanta anchors

Anchor: Lisa Rayam

Sports: Ken Rodriguez

Weather: Ken Cook & Markina Brown (Shes was a head turner, ALWAYS grabbed your atttention)

Investigator: Morse Diggs.

Honorable Mentions: Jeff Hullinger and Jovita Moore

Karyn Greer has been in the Atlanta market for 30 years. She started on then WGNX Channel 46 Indy as weekend anchor and when the weeknight anchor on the 10pm news left she took over. She been at 46 from Indy to the station becomes a CBS affiliate. In 1999, the station get a new owner. Dave Roberts(then ND) at WXIA brings her over to 11Alive where she was the reporter for Special Projects, and weekend anchor/reporter. WXIA would produce the 10pm news for WUPA, and it could of been a contract dispute, because it was ratings were not there to continue. She would move up to AM anchor and team up with Jill Becker doing Morning/Noon News. Also substituting in the evenings for Brenda Wood at times. They took her off the morning news and cancelled the noon news. She was given a contract, but think with TEGNA being TEGNA, she walked away and it was said her contract wasn't being renewed. She went back to the place she started and was doing reporting and fill-in anchoring. Now she anchoring the Noon news. While her comrades in the market have retired, passed, or moved on. She still only of a few left with a brand name in the market. She should be doing more at CBS46.

Make note all (4) ladies competed with each at 6/11pm newscast during the 90s after the switch WAGA at 6pm only.

WSB/2 -Monica Kaufman

WAGA/5- Amanda Davis

WXIA/11- Brenda Wood

WGNX/46-Karyn Greer

• Like 1

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic