Out & About

TexasTVNews

KFJX and WNBJ are adding CW affiliations. With the addition of KAIT, this continues the trend of CW replacing their cable-only affiliates with OTA outlets.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/220132/wnbj-jackson-launches-cw-subchannel/

http://www.joplinglobe.com/news/cw-network-now-available-over-joplin-airwaves/article_8e4404d4-9769-11e8-b072-e3b4960d3177.html

It seems that KCTV, WGCL, KMOV, WSMV can't keep a news director at any of these stations. Maybe the reason is Meredith

is a piece of crap! I think it time for Meredith to merge with Hearst, because what the deal working for Merry-Death?

Its not crap when some of its stations are actually done very well... KPTV, WHNS, KTVK, WFSB, WNEM, KVVU, WALA, WGGB.

More of their stations are done well than those who are just crap.

Wow, amazing. A station actually *welcoming* a news veteran, and not trying to shove him out the door (rocking chair optional).... Congrats Mr. Bibb. Cleveland is lucky and fortunate to have you.

• Like 3

Wow, amazing. A station actually *welcoming* a news veteran, and not trying to shove him out the door (rocking chair optional).... Congrats Mr. Bibb. Cleveland is lucky and fortunate to have you.

I agree when EW Scripps pushed Leon Bibb and Lee Jordan out "so called retirement". I knew Leon wouldn't set back, I know he did come back on WEWS once or twice after leaving. Cleveland TV news market is very great market when it comes to talent. We are proud to have Leon and all other others.

• Like 2

I'm sure by now you know, long time WFAA anchor John McCaa has announced that he'll be retiring on 3/1/2019. McCaa joined WFAA in 1984 originally at the Dallas-based station as a reporter from the station's Fort Worth bureau, the late 1980's he was then the weekend anchor pairing with Gloria Campos before he and Campos moved to the weeknight team with Tracy Rowlett, Chip Moody (RIP) making News8 the most watched news in the DFW market.

He's been part of the weeknight team since December 1991 when he teamed with Chip at 5PM and frequently fill-in for the 6 & 10PM and since 2002, McCaa has been part of the station 10PM newscasts with now retired Gloria Campos and now with Cynthia Izzguirre. For nearly 35 years in Dallas/Fort Worh, McCaa has worked the best in the business; Iola Johnson, Tracy Rowlett, John Criswell, Chip Moody, Scott Sams, Jeff Brady, Troy Dungan and Dale Hansen (who signed a new two year deal with WFAA til 2020). I'm going to miss his Uncut Commentaries every Friday at 6PM.

No word on who will succeed John as the main anchor; but I have a very good hunch it will be Jason Wheeler taking the helm at 5, 6 & The Update at 10PM come 2019.

On behalf of myself and to many member of TVNT, we wish John McCaa the very best on his retirement.

Congrats John, and God Bless.

http://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/968b04e1960f849edf841eae1619acb0-4245.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=wtxnvqTQKBo;t=10

• Like 2

I'm sure by now you know, long time WFAA anchor John McCaa has announced that he'll be retiring on 3/1/2019. McCaa joined WFAA in 1984 originally at the Dallas-based station as a reporter from the station's Fort Worth bureau, the late 1980's he was then the weekend anchor pairing with Gloria Campos before he and Campos moved to the weeknight team with Tracy Rowlett, Chip Moody (RIP) making News8 the most watched news in the DFW market.

He's been part of the weeknight team since December 1991 when he teamed with Chip at 5PM and frequently fill-in for the 6 & 10PM and since 2002, McCaa has been part of the station 10PM newscasts with now retired Gloria Campos and now with Cynthia Izzguirre. For nearly 35 years in Dallas/Fort Worh, McCaa has worked the best in the business; Iola Johnson, Tracy Rowlett, John Criswell, Chip Moody, Scott Sams, Jeff Brady, Troy Dungan and Dale Hansen (who signed a new two year deal with WFAA til 2020). I'm going to miss his Uncut Commentaries every Friday at 6PM.

No word on who will succeed John as the main anchor; but I have a very good hunch it will be Jason Wheeler taking the helm at 5, 6 & The Update at 10PM come 2019.

On behalf of myself and to many member of TVNT, we wish John McCaa the very best on his retirement.

I agree. Wheeler is a bona-fide successor.

• Like 2

I posted that in the shout box. It wouldn't surprise me if they did because a great portion of CW viewers stream the shows anyway but that didn't stop a Sunday expansion from happening. If they could get affiliates to agree to Sunday nights, Saturday may not be a hard sell. Some stations would welcome it. KPXJ and KMYS both just air sitcom/drama reruns on Saturday night.

• Like 1

I agree when EW Scripps pushed Leon Bibb and Lee Jordan out "so called retirement". I knew Leon wouldn't set back, I know he did come back on WEWS once or twice after leaving. Cleveland TV news market is very great market when it comes to talent. We are proud to have Leon and all other others.

Has Dick Goddard ever appeared on TV since his retirement? I know he committed the rest of his career to the "four foots" (animal welfare) that has been his passion for decades...but it's a good thing he hang it up before all of the ownership drama over Tribune and Sinclair heated up..(and about to go back to the drawing board any day now....)

I still think Robin Swoboda still has one more TV stint in her....and WOIO is the only place she hasn't worked at yet.

John Loufman is the only Cleveland TV personality I know of that has the distinction of working at ALL 4 stations in some form over time. He may have been a "floater" who had short-term gigs to fill in-between people and when others were on vacation. Cleveland had a bunch of them it seems in the 1990s...was it a union thing?

• Like 3

Scripps & (TEGNA) have wanted to get rid of high price profile anchors in their respected markets. For TV5 being such a legacy station it current state and most state of Scripps stations suck donkey balls. I understand they have to streamline and that all good and great. However WEWS looks like crap, and Leon Bibb said he working part-time at WKYC.

• Like 3

Its not crap when some of its stations are actually done very well... KPTV, WHNS, KTVK, WFSB, WNEM, KVVU, WALA, WGGB.

More of their stations are done well than those who are just crap.

Those station yeah they might do well, but I still think Meredith hasn't been aggressive enough in expanding their footprint. I think MediaGeneral messed them up, which could of been HUGE!

Personally I hope COX rethinks it sell, but Meredith owning COX station...I'm just not sold on that. Meredith could gobble up some small ownership stations, but it not. Their best bet would either be a merger with Hearst or Grahman. I also wonder if Weigel would be interested in expanding their footprint?

Those station yeah they might do well, but I still think Meredith hasn't been aggressive enough in expanding their footprint. I think MediaGeneral messed them up, which could of been HUGE!

Personally I hope COX rethinks it sell, but Meredith owning COX station...I'm just not sold on that. Meredith could gobble up some small ownership stations, but it not. Their best bet would either be a merger with Hearst or Grahman. I also wonder if Weigel would be interested in expanding their footprint?

* Graham

I would like to see Cox swallow up Meredith and remain as Cox Media Group if they decide to go that way.

• Like 4

Scripps & (TEGNA) have wanted to get rid of high price profile anchors in their respected markets. For TV5 being such a legacy station it current state and most state of Scripps stations suck donkey balls. I understand they have to streamline and that all good and great. However WEWS looks like crap, and Leon Bibb said he working part-time at WKYC.

Yeah, this idea that Tegna is rolling out the red carpet for a vet anchor is crap. He's doing commentary and is probably not getting paid a whole lot to do so.

Tegna has pushed out far more longtime anchors than they've brought in, that's for sure. Seems like half the people at KING are like nobodies now. (Hip nobodies)

• Like 4

Yeah, this idea that Tegna is rolling out the red carpet for a vet anchor is crap. He's doing commentary and is probably not getting paid a whole lot to do so.

Tegna has pushed out far more longtime anchors than they've brought in, that's for sure. Seems like half the people at KING are like nobodies now. (Hip nobodies)

It seems that When Gannett/TEGNA got a hold of those former Belo Stations. TEGNA got a hold of the most respected stations and gutted them. WWL is a shadow of it former self. When you read about some of the execs said they had to transform the news into a 21st century model. They just went crazy in my book.

• Like 2

Would I be so bold as to say he's like the Jim Gardner of North Texas television?

I would like them to merge with Scripps but have the bigger name if possible. I kinda of want Meredith to go away. It be nice to see WGCL become a CBS O&O.

It's almost a matter of when and not if that Scripps WILL get the Cox stations. Meredith is very unlikely, and WGCL for the LAST time will NEVER be a CBS O&O.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic