Out & About

TexasTVNews

WHSV's (Harrisonburg, VA) Victoria Wood heads down I-81 to join Roanoke's WDBJ. She's the new weekend sports anchor and weekday sports reporter. She made her debut last week.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/tv-radio-notes-wdbj-adds-martinsville-native-victoria-wood/article_2e7d6ba2-4e69-5f5d-b77f-8a1ae6336fac.html

• Like 3

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/fl-reg-nbc6-changes-traffic-reporters-20180518-story.html

Kelly Blanco moves to afternoons where she will provide traffic reports for the 4, 5 & 6 PM will also be a lifestyle and entertainment reporter; Kristin Sanchez takes her place in the mornings.

So... what will happen to Stephanie Bertini? She currently does the 4:00, 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. traffic reports.

I watched the whole thing. It was just a segment. No surprises other than the segment. I was so excited for nothing.

I'm surprised they didn't do an entire newscast like WRAL did in 2006 with Charlie Gaddy, Bobbie Batista, Bob DeBardelaben, and Tom Suiter did. They did the 6pm show and it was a fairly heavy news night for them, so it wasn't a lot of reminiscing.

• Like 3

Jason Guy - WESH’s news anchor and former Big Brother contestant had vocal cord surgery. He had a growth on the right vocal cord causing hoarseness. They believe it’s nothing harmful but they will biopsy it anyway.

[MEDIA=instagram]BjGDNkMhgEk[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

You may have heard about the standoff/shootoff in Panama City yesterday where a reporter and her interviewee were thisclose to being hit by flying bullets...

Scott Jones posted the video from WMBB on FTVlive this morning.

Soon after, Scott gets a "nastygram" and hostile phone call from news director Tom Lewis that this was a violation of Nexstar "copywrite" and hostility and profanity ensued...

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/23/nexstar-news-director-threatens-ftvlive

On a personal note, some of you may be wondering how I came up with my username here...

You may have heard about the standoff/shootoff in Panama City yesterday where a reporter and her interviewee were thisclose to being hit by flying bullets...

Soon after, Scott gets a "nastygram" and hostile phone call from news director Tom Lewis that this was a violation of Nexstar "copywrite" and hostility and profanity ensued...

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/23/nexstar-news-director-threatens-ftvlive

On a personal note, some of you may be wondering how I came up with my username here...

FTVLive will ONCE AGAIN win that "fair use" claim. They've won every time.

Sounds like the ND is trying to avoid bad publicity about the safety of his reporters, but is instead getting bad publicity for how he's reacting to it. The hostility is totally unwarranted.

• Like 1

KXAS got a new seamless LED video wall. Appears to be opposite the weather center and will be used for weather and traffic in the mornings. If I’m not mistaken when they installed the one behind the anchor desk they moved it into a similar position?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1686492588098590

Posting this here as it’s not worth a thread.

• Like 1

KXAS got a new seamless LED video wall. Appears to be opposite the weather center and will be used for weather and traffic in the mornings. If I’m not mistaken when they installed the one behind the anchor desk they moved it into a similar position?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1686492588098590

Posting this here as it’s not worth a thread.

Their sister station got a seamless backdrop too.

[MEDIA=instagram]BjGHxb3ASQw[/MEDIA]

It replaces a 5x2video wall.

• Like 2

WDJT and the HTF do an on-air Thanksgiving give-a-thon...I wonder how that may go this year (they just did a March Madness-themed food drive but Michelle didn't appear there). Hopefully by then everything will be bygones between everyone.

Everyone? Only WDJT tries to discredit forever staffers. Mark, Paul didn’t deserve how they were treated in the end. And Michele’s journalism did not warrant her departure.

• Like 4

Longtime local TV anchor Cathy Clark dies...KFMB.KCST,KUSI (and friend of KBEX-TV) Anchor /Reporter passes away...

She was one of the NewsEaters...and one of the best in the biz.

Thanks for everything.

She will be missed.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-me-cathy-clark-20180524-story.html

Their sister station got a seamless backdrop too.

[MEDIA=instagram]BjGHxb3ASQw[/MEDIA]

It replaces a 5x2video wall.

So is the quality of these better or worse? Is it literally one HUGE LED screen, or is it similar to a rear projection? I would think you'd get higher quality out of multiple large monitors than one large one that could have a washed out appearance.

So is the quality of these better or worse? Is it literally one HUGE LED screen, or is it similar to a rear projection? I would think you'd get higher quality out of multiple large monitors than one large one that could have a washed out appearance.

They are a lot brighter than rear projection. These are LED screens where each panel is probably 27 inches diagonal. But unlike LCD or LED backlit LCD screens these allow for seamless appearance. Before they were cost prohibitive and you could make out individual pixels and resolution sucked. Now if you shoot to close to them you can make out pixels.

It’s basically the same technology stadium screens use.

• Like 2

They are a lot brighter than rear projection. These are LED screens where each panel is probably 27 inches diagonal. But unlike LCD or LED backlit LCD screens these allow for seamless appearance. Before they were cost prohibitive and you could make out individual pixels and resolution sucked. Now if you shoot to close to them you can make out pixels.

Also before there really wasn’t the graphics engine or monitor wall capabilities to handle such high resolutions. So you would get pixelation as well.

• Like 2

My vote is on Mr. Jones but we'll see where this ends up. This one could get nasty.

In Nexstar's defense....the only issue is that Scott took their video from WMBB's website, and posted it to his FTVLive YouTube channel. Had he simply hyperlinked the original video, it would be a non-issue.

But Tom Lewis has blown this way out of proportion. Scott has had his run-ins with people over the years about things on his site, but this has to be the worst I've ever seen. He really hit a raw nerve with him.

And based on people who used to work for him, it's not a surprise... At one time (when he was at WJHG)...he not only was the main anchor (for 6 & 10) and news director, but also the co-host of the top-rated radio morning show in Panama City!

If that doesn't inflate who you are...

• Like 2

Yes. They're seamless interlocking panels covered in hundreds of small LED diodes. In the past couple years, the technology has advanced dramatically on these screens, allowing the pixels to be closer together (pixel pitch) and smaller, all while the costs have come down like crazy. They are arguably more reliable than LCD monitor walls and provide better contrast and a brighter, more color accurate, and even picture.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1354512-REG

This is a Samsung branded panel with 1.5mm pixel pitch, meaning there is 1.5mm between pixels. Not sure what brand they're using (NBC has jumped all over in regards to who they're buying their LED walls from) but the technology is at least similar.

• Like 3

In Nexstar's defense....the only issue is that Scott took their video from WMBB's website, and posted it to his FTVLive YouTube channel. Had he simply hyperlinked the original video, it would be a non-issue.

But Tom Lewis has blown this way out of proportion. Scott has had his run-ins with people over the years about things on his site, but this has to be the worst I've ever seen. He really hit a raw nerve with him.

And based on people who used to work for him, it's not a surprise... At one time (when he was at WJHG)...he not only was the main anchor (for 6 & 10) and news director, but also the co-host of the top-rated radio morning show in Panama City!

If that doesn't inflate who you are...

He seems personally offended for some reason. I maintain that he's so upset because he doesn't want the image of one of his reporters nearly getting killed on live TV out there on the internet. That, or he's upset that FTVLive kind of implied that Lewis knowingly sent his reporter in close to a very dangerous situation without thinking much of her safety.

• Like 2

He seems personally offended for some reason. I maintain that he's so upset because he doesn't want the image of one of his reporters nearly getting killed on live TV out there on the internet. That, or he's upset that FTVLive kind of implied that Lewis knowingly sent his reporter in close to a very dangerous situation without thinking much of her safety.

Now that Nexstar's corporate lawyers are involved, I am honestly very, very concerned this could end up like Hogan / Thiel / Gawker.

Hope Scott knows when to quit...

• Like 1

All of them are morons for thinking that you can be "safe" at a shooting scene.

You want safety???

Stay the heck out of the area.

The reporter has a choice to be there. Buy some kevlar if you are concerned about getting shot.

And if you (as a manager) are concerned about LIABILITY then don't send the reporter into harms way...period.

When you cover breaking news YOU assume all risk involved....not your stupid boss.

• Like 1

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic