Out & About

TexasTVNews

ogle.jpg

It's a family tradition of The Ogles of OKC. The legends lives on.

Now all we have to do is add Katelyn in the picture and you would have 3-4 generations of the Ogles in TV News in Oklahoma City (from Jack to the Ogle Brothers to Abigail and now Katelyn)

Lacey Lett (of KAUT's Rise and Shine) is a relative of the Ogle family as well.

I didn't know Lett is related to a member of the Ogle family

How many journalist families are there in the country? I’m only aware of the Ogles in OKC, the Ponce brothers and father in Chicago, and the Magers brothers (both retired).

Here in Louisiana: Pat Shingleton (chief weather forecaster) & his son Michael (6 & 10 pm news anchor) at WBRZ in Baton Rouge

Jillian Corder (4p anchor & 6p co-anchor) and her husband Brady Renard (sports director) at KPLC in Lake Charles. Incidentally, both Jillian & Brady worked in the Monroe, LA market, but at separate stations (KNOE & KTVE/KARD, respectively).

Then, there are the Mackel siblings at WDSU in New Orleans: Fletcher (sports anchor), Travers (investigative reporter), and Megan (chief photographer). Also, Fletcher is getting married this month to WVUE reporter/anchor Meg Gatto.

• Like 3

Ok...I'll chime in with some that I can recall...

Bill and Patti Burns...father and daughter that anchored together at KDKA (referred to as the Patty & Daddy show but was a hit with viewers)

Fred and Wally Griffith....Fred was the longtime host of WEWS' Morning Exchange and Wally was a reporter at WOIO in their early years as a CBS affiliate. He even appeared (with WOIO's blessing) on TMX for an anniversary special and his gift....a CBS 19 coffee mug!

And there's the Gumbels, we all know Greg and Bryant...and then there was Elton, who anchored sports at WCTV in Tallahassee. I believe he was a nephew to the elder Gumbels?

And then there was Jerry Peterson, longtime weatherman at WSOC in Charlotte. His son? Greg Peterson....now the primary anchor at WPMI in Mobile.

• Like 3

Shouldn't the discussion related to Family News Anchors be it's own thread? If so then we can start it and the admins can split the discussion off of this thread onto the appropriate thread

• Like 1

Let's get back on topic, shall we? Kayla Gaskins has joined WAVY as an anchor and reporter.

EDIT: She comes from WJHG in Panama City, FL

[MEDIA=twitter]989570592583180288[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

Sad news at Dispatch's WTHR. Andrea Morehead announced today in a recorded message she has breast cancer.

Thoughts and prayers to Andrea and her family and friends and colleagues at WTHR.

• Like 1

I wonder how long Kevin & Kent last at KFOR after Sinclair takes over.

It's possible. Remember that ABC 33/40 in Birmingham retained several longtime personalities after Sinclair took over (James Spann, Pam Huff, Jeff Speegle, Brian Peters and Brenda Ladun, along with the now-retired Dave Baird). There are probably several other examples among the group, I don't know any more.

Lacey Lett (of KAUT's Rise and Shine) is a relative of the Ogle family as well.

I didn't know, either. How is she related to them? In-law? Cousin?

• Like 1

Karla Redditte will be taking over for Sabrina Squire at WWBT. I'm glad they decided to promote from within, rather than an outside hire. It seems more natural to have an already familiar face to viewers take over for a retiring anchor, meteorologist, etc.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/8/you-redditte-right-richmond-station-has-a-new-anchor

KTAL's Dan and Jacque Jovic are husband and wife and so are Melissa Kakareka and James Parish of KSLA. KSLA had another married couple, Clay Ostarly and Victoria Shirley but they moved up to Roanoke, where they now work for rivaling stations, Clay on WFXR and Victoria on WDBJ.

Melissa Moon (WREG) and Melanie Moon (last seen on KPLR) are twin sisters.

• Like 1

Wasn't his son's name John too? IIRC, he moved from Atlanta to Jacksonville a few years ago.

Yep.

If anyone hasn’t caught it yet, former WTEN weatherman Nick Johnston has taken a job at WGY as a news anchor. Thankfully he’s sticking to the Capital Region.

• Like 1

WTMJ was knocked off-air Tuesday afternoon, during their 5PM show, due to a power outage (caused by a fire at a substation) that took out the station's Master Control and Production Control. After 15 minutes or so off-air, they managed to get back on with only the newsroom camera and no graphics (second video)

And before anyone asks "how?" Some of my Broadcast Engineering contacts (not at WTMJ, mind you) think the substation fire knocked out one leg of the three-phase power, which some older backup power transfer switches don't detect (they can only detect a complete outage).

Don't forget mother/daughter combo at WXYZ Diana Lewis and Glenda Lewis. They also anchor a newscast together.

Also in other news; FOX 5 in NYC Mike Woods announces he has prostate cancer.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/9/ny-anchor-i-have-cancer

Ashley Gann is the new Chief Meteorologist at WIAT/CBS42 in Birmingham.

http://www.cbs42.com/news/local/veteran-meteorologist-ashley-gann-to-lead-cbs-42-storm-team/1167012257

• Like 1

KDFW’s Good Day joins the 4am club starting tomorrow.

http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/d0caccf264355192fa0da1d62fbfc83d-4183.html

I wondered if the DFW market would see 4a starts or if they would be steadfast at 4:30a. I have noticed that rush hour traffic does start picking up between 4:30a and 5a. But why change starting on a Wednesday?? Hard to believe it's been nearly 8 years since KDFW led the way to 4:30a.

• Like 2

Yep.

If anyone hasn’t caught it yet, former WTEN weatherman Nick Johnston has taken a job at WGY as a news anchor. Thankfully he’s sticking to the Capital Region.

Translation: He'll end up at WNYT when he gets bored with radio. He wouldn't be the first person to go that route.

• Like 2

According to the Miami Herald, WFOR main anchor Rick Folbaum may leave soon. That would be another departure at CBS 4 following the recent one by morning anchor Eugene Ramirez. With Rick leaving, the station will have only one male anchor Elliott Rodriguez and so many anchor positions to fill.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/jose-lambiet/article210860409.html

• Like 1

According to the Miami Herald, WFOR main anchor Rick Folbaum may leave soon. That would be another departure at CBS 4 following the recent one by morning anchor Eugene Ramirez. With Rick leaving, the station will have only one male anchor Elliott Rodriguez and so many anchor positions to fill.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/jose-lambiet/article210860409.html

That station can't catch a break with all these departures.......

WLBT received a marker on the Mississippi Freedom Trail Wednesday. The station's actions during the Civil Rights Movement is well-known.

Story:

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/38149588/wlbt-receives-freedom-trail-marker#

Thanks for the link, because I took the time to watch both pieces on this event produced by the station...

Not a single historic picture of any of these important players during this time...no old reels of film? No clips of the newspaper articles from the library?

Nope.

Just boring talking heads at a podium

More lazy reporting and more lazy production.

That's what your news dollar gets you today.

Why would anyone want to watch that?

Karla Redditte will be taking over for Sabrina Squire at WWBT. I'm glad they decided to promote from within, rather than an outside hire. It seems more natural to have an already familiar face to viewers take over for a retiring anchor, meteorologist, etc.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/8/you-redditte-right-richmond-station-has-a-new-anchor

Good for her! I remember when she was at WLOX.

• Like 2

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic