Out & About

TexasTVNews

You stay classy, San Francisco.

Can we clear something up that has been bugging me for all these years?

No "Anchorman" in San Diego ever ended the show with "Stay Classy"...

This is what Harold Green ended the show with in 1976 at KGTV.

5pm Version:

"That's it from San Diego, the NBC Nightly News is Next...

Take care of one another...from all of us at KGTV...to all of you."

Or the 11pm

" That's it from San Diego, The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson is next...

Take care of one another...from all of us at KGTV...to all of you...Good Night".

I may have one or two words switched up, but that's how it went.

Finally!

A huge burden has been lifted from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHBQ has hired Elisabeth D'Amore as their newest meteorologist at the station (replacing Lindsey Monroe, who is now a meteorologist at WTHR in Indianapolis). She previously worked at WTVM/WXTX in Columbus, GA. Her first day on the job was yesterday.

• Like 1

I just realized that WMAR 2’s rebranding may be related to WBAL and WJZ now using their call signs prominently. WJZ always used their calls during the Eyewitness News era when tagging out but now it’s just WJZ News. Similarly WBAL tags out “WBAL-TV 11”. Additionally they all now brand their weather as “Callsign Weather”.

• Like 1

I just realized that WMAR 2’s rebranding may be related to WBAL and WJZ now using their call signs prominently. WJZ always used their calls during the Eyewitness News era when tagging out but now it’s just WJZ News. Similarly WBAL tags out “WBAL-TV 11”. Additionally they all now brand their weather as “Callsign Weather”.

Now that's cool,

Going back to the roots... and keeping things simple.

• Like 4

I am just stunned. WJXT's Tom Wills, Mary Baer, John Gaughan and Sam Kouvaris is the longest-running news team in Jacksonville right now, at least until today.

Sam Kouvaris has left WJXT after 37 years. I'm stunned because I won't see him anymore here in Gainesville via Cox Cable. He is the best sports director the market's ever had and for him and WJXT to leave like this is just sad and I love watching WJXT (thus, my default pic).

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180502/sam-kouvaris-longtime-jacksonville-sportscaster-officially-done-at-channel-4

I am just stunned. WJXT's Tom Wills, Mary Baer, John Gaughan and Sam Kouvaris is the longest-running news team in Jacksonville right now, at least until today.

Sam Kouvaris has left WJXT after 37 years. I'm stunned because I won't see him anymore here in Gainesville via Cox Cable. He is the best sports director the market's ever had and for him and WJXT to leave like this is just sad and I love watching WJXT (thus, my default pic).

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180502/sam-kouvaris-longtime-jacksonville-sportscaster-officially-done-at-channel-4

Prediction: Sam Kouvaris joins First Coast News either as sports director or as weeknight anchor.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/3/crossing-the-street-in-nashville

FTVLIVE.com is hearing iconic anchor Demetria Kalodimos is in talks with WZTV/FOX 17. I was thinking she would be in talks with WTVF as 5 &10pm anchor or WKRN her and Mueller together giving Nashville a strong. As Holt & Mueller been together for a long time.

Sinclair has gotten talent from competiting stations in markets. WSYX was able to get WBNS castaways to come on down the road. As well many folks at WKEF in Dayton were able to get folks from WHIO.

• Like 1

A couple of days late on the draw about this, but... former KFOR sports director Bob Barry Jr.'s 2015 death in a motorcycle accident has become the subject of a campaign ad by Gary Richardson, who is running for the Republican nomination to replace the term-limited Mary Fallin as Governor of Oklahoma.

The ad -- which began running last weekend -- was intended to position Richardson as an anti-illegal immigration candidate, highlighting the fact that BBJ was killed when his motorscooter hit the side of a car driven an undocumented Mexican immigrant, Gustavo Gutierrez, who was driving without a license and was performing an illegal U-turn when the accident occured. (Gutierrez was given a 15-year prison sentence for vehicular homicide and cocaine possession in January 2016.) The ad omits mention that BBJ was not wearing a helmet, which resulted in the head injuries from which he succumbed.

KFOR/KAUT General Manager Wes Milbourn noted that station management was "displeased with their advertising tactics and the exploitation of Bob Barry Junior," but FCC rules required them to air the ad as it met certain political advertising requirements. Richardson said he would rescind the ads from KFOR/KAUT, but he will run them on other Oklahoma television stations.

BBJ's son, Matt, released this statement about the ad, and, to say the least, was not pleased, especially given that Richardson never sought permission from the Barry family and thought that KFOR/KAUT management would contact them about it:

“First and foremost, the Barry Family finds it deeply concerning that Mr. Richardson chose to feature the tragic and untimely death of our Father in his campaign advertisement without seeking consent. The last few years have been a very difficult time for the Barry family as we’re still reeling from this unexpected loss. Although we have no personal dislike for Mr. Richardson or his political ambitions, we find it very troubling that Mr. Richardson ran an advertisement that could imply that the Barry family endorses in any way his election as Governor of the State of Oklahoma. In sum, the Barry family does not appreciate the liberties taken by Mr. Richardson and his campaign; and condemn the utter lack of respect shown towards our tragic loss.”

The ad in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDWg3POYVkE

Changes at Bloomberg. They are instituting a metered paywall on their website. If you want unlimited website access you must pay $35 a month!! That's more than the WSJ and NYT combined; and costs the same as some cable packages. Plus they are limiting you to only 30 minutes of free BloombergTV streaming (unless of course you pay)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-02/tesla-projects-end-to-cash-burning-era-as-model-3-gains-traction

• Like 2

Changes at Bloomberg. They are instituting a metered paywall on their website. If you want unlimited website access you must pay $35 a month!! That's more than the WSJ, NYT, and costs the same as some cable packages. Plus they are limiting you to only 30 minutes of free BloombergTV streaming

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-02/tesla-projects-end-to-cash-burning-era-as-model-3-gains-traction

Well bleep. I love Bloomberg so this stinks.

• Like 1

I love journalism, but I'm not paying for it.

I'm fine paying for it if it's reasonable. Washington Post's Amazon Prime discount makes it worth it in my opinion. But $35 a month? I can buy an online service like YouTubeTV for that amount. That is way too much.

I'm fine paying for it if it's reasonable. Washington Post's Amazon Prime discount makes it worth it in my opinion. But $35 a month? I can buy an online service like YouTubeTV for that amount. That is way too much.

I get my WaPo subscription through my digital subscription with the Journal Sentinel (a deal made before they were sucked into the Gannett Deathstar), so reasonable pricing and access helps. But $35 for the equivalent of wire service news and esoteric business programming? CNBC asks for $30/month for expert opinions and data, but that's just as unjustifiable unless it's a bulk corporate price.

Changes at Bloomberg. They are instituting a metered paywall on their website. If you want unlimited website access you must pay $35 a month!! That's more than the WSJ and NYT combined; and costs the same as some cable packages. Plus they are limiting you to only 30 minutes of free BloombergTV streaming (unless of course you pay)

If you can't or don't write that off on your taxes, then you really don't need it.

BREAKING NEWS: Kayley O'Kelley is leaving KTVT CBS 11. O'Kelley who anchored CBS 11 News at 5, 6, & 10pm since January 2015 has announced on Facebook she's leaving the station to pursue a "better work/life balance." O'Kelley's last day is May 23rd. Kayley said this on Facebook.

"Ever struggle to balance career, marriage, and family life? You’re clearly not alone. I write this with a heavy heart and a huge sense of gratitude for my experience with CBS DFW.

Turning down an amazing opportunity to continue on as main anchor in a city we love is no easy choice. However, I am in need of a better work/life balance. I am definitely NOT leaving my career forever, instead I’m giving my self some time to focus on my family and other interests."

"As a journalist I’ve lived in more zip codes than I care to remember. I’ve walked through communities devastated by natural disaster. I’ve covered graphic murder investigations and the court cases that follow... was a weekend weather warrior commuting to and from NYC to fill-in at GOOD MORNING AMERICA. And I’ve been blessed to co-host The EmmittZone with Emmitt Smith when I worked in Phoenix and serve as a guest co-host on The Talk on CBS."

"I look forward to new opportunities later, but for now I will focus on slowing life down. My last day with CBS 11 is May 23rd. I love our team and the viewers who so kindly welcomed me here in North Texas years ago."

http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/dfcdd2eb26495b673f3b705f899460e6-4179.html

I don't see Karen Borta coming back to evenings soon, but it might happen.

• Like 1

I love journalism, but I'm not paying for it.

Consider Bloomberg's target demo--who definitely can pay for it--and they can prolly get away with this.

They're not even the worst ones. SemiAccurate.com is selling yearly full access subs for $1,000!

• Like 3

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic