Out & About

TexasTVNews

To be honest, I think all the ex-WV Media stations could use new logos.

The WOWK one goes all the way back to the late 90s with their Hearst-esque look. (before that it was the "13"elieves logo)

latest?cb=20120108163529

WVMH simply changed the color of the current "13" and cookie-cuttered it for their other acquisitions....

• Like 6

Could we please retire the SAM Extreme package already? It's so dated. I mean of all the packages you could choose, Extreme? Seriously?

It got old very quickly on KMSS and they've only used it since 2015. Guardian would sound way better at KMSS imo. In WOWK's case, they would have sounded better just using CBS Local.

• Like 1

Extreme: loved hearing it on KOKI, but not ideal for the 2010s.

I agree they could have chosen something more better. The good thing Aerial is gone thank goodness.

It got old very quickly on KMSS and they've only used it since 2015. Guardian would sound way better at KMSS imo. In WOWK's case, they would have sounded better just using CBS Local.

I mean it does work for the open at least, compared to KOLR's use of Overture.

VARTV.com reported on its Twitter page today that WJAX/WFOX (Jacksonville) reporter Deanna Bettineschi will be joining WAVY in Hampton Roads.

Meanwhile, WENY (Elmira) sports director Jenna Harner will be joining Buffalo's WIVB.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/02/ch-4-hires-new-sports-reporter-from-elmira-to-replace-shepherd/

A month late, but who else pays attention to the El Paso market other than I? Anywho, KTSM broke ground on a new facility. No word on when the building will be finished, but it's safe to say that we'll be stuck with Look A and Extreme for another few years.

http://www.ktsm.com/news/ktsm-is-moving-to-a-new-location/958960549

• Like 1

A month late, but who else pays attention to the El Paso market other than I? Anywho, KTSM broke ground on a new facility. No word on when the building will be finished, but it's safe to say that we'll be stuck with Look A and Extreme for another few years.

Are they still using some now bastardized version of Look A?

• Like 2

Well congrats to them. El Paso is one of those "nothing happening" kind of media markets, considering that they are DMA #93.

I think KTSM should be second now since KDBC/KFOX are probably in the dust.

Well congrats to them. El Paso is one of those "nothing happening" kind of media markets, considering that they are DMA #93.

So DMA rank determines whether anything is happening? One could argue that smaller markets with less revenue are more unstable... there is far more happening than you think. Don’t place much stock in DMA ranks... it’s not ranked by anything but population...

Are they still using some now bastardized version of Look A?

Bastardized is the tip of the iceberg.

Still in the hole, but I've heard that they're catching up to 4/14 in the 5p hour.

So DMA rank determines whether anything is happening? One could argue that smaller markets with less revenue are more unstable... there is far more happening than you think. Don’t place much stock in DMA ranks... it’s not ranked by anything but population...

At least we forget the short lived career of KVIA Meteorologist, now gay gogo dancer, Stephen "Gay Gringo" Decatur.

• Like 2

Bastardized is the tip of the iceberg.

Still in the hole, but I've heard that they're catching up to 4/14 in the 5p hour.

I would believe that the order in El Paso would be KVIA (NPG) followed by everyone else, Sinclair and Nexstar.

• Like 2

VARTV.com reported on its Twitter page today that WJAX/WFOX (Jacksonville) reporter Deanna Bettineschi will be joining WAVY in Hampton Roads.

Meanwhile, WENY (Elmira) sports director Jenna Harner will be joining Buffalo's WIVB.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/02/ch-4-hires-new-sports-reporter-from-elmira-to-replace-shepherd/

Is it just me, or has WAVY had a lot of turnover as of late? Like, I know reporters come and go, but WAVY used to be a stable market choice, and a lot has changed around there...

Meanwhile in the Youngstown market at WFMJ. Morning anchor Mike Case is leaving the station for a job in sales. I'm sure cake will be severed next week on his last day. This is 2nd on air person to leave WFMJ since January. That is all from Today's WFMJ wait wrong station slogan and name.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/37894798/wfmj-todays-mike-case-moving-on-to-new-job

Meanwhile in the Youngstown market at WFMJ. Morning anchor Mike Case is leaving the station for a job in sales. I'm sure cake will be severed next week on his last day. This is 2nd on air person to leave WFMJ since January. That is all from Today's WFMJ wait wrong station slogan and name.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/37894798/wfmj-todays-mike-case-moving-on-to-new-job

And Steve Vesey will become the new weekday morning anchor in 3...2...

In Oklahoma City, all the major media outlets, KFOR (Tribune), KOCO (Hearst), KWTV (Griffin), KOKH (Sinclair), The Oklahoman, and the radio stations are launching United Voice Oklahoma to promote a healthy dialogue on race relations in Oklahoma.

Huh? A Sinclair station that's 'united' *and* is part of a 'healthy dialogue'?? Amazing.

• Like 2

Milwaukee PBS got rid of their Traffic Channel on 36.6 in January after the spectrum reshuffle.

Since early February, they've re-added the traffic portion but now on Channel 36.3, rotating with weather on the new "Milwaukee PBS Weather and Traffic" channel.

• Like 5

The Entravision axe falls again!

This time, it's KINC in Las Vegas, which soon will get its local newscasts from...KINT El Paso:

[MEDIA=twitter]982400431866372096[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]982406285730594817[/MEDIA]

"The result of bad decisions by the company yet the employees face the consequences. Chin up!"

• Like 1

Milwaukee PBS got rid of their Traffic Channel on 36.6 in January after the spectrum reshuffle.

Since early February, they've re-added the traffic portion but now on Channel 36.3, rotating with weather on the new "Milwaukee PBS Weather and Traffic" channel.

It made complete sense to do it (and they had lots of requests for it once the spectrum merge happened). I always wondered why they didn't make it part of the loop in the first place when they switched to the Local AccuWeather software with non-com tweaks.

• Like 1

The latest entry into the NMSA is that of WLJC, a religious independent in the Lexington DMA, randomly picking up This is the Place. Somehow earlier this week, WTVQ began producing a 9:00 newscast for WLJC and that WLJC took the Antenna TV affiliation for Lexington off of WTVQ's overwhelmed hands.

This is the first news sharing arrangement I can think of which a secular station has produced news for a religious station though WLJC's other subs include GetTV and This TV. I wonder if Morris is gearing up to buy them or to set up a situation where Morris cashes out and a new owner of WTVQ then buys WLJC and probably moves MyNet programming there. The owners of WLJC also owns two FM stations which are among the few KLove and Air1 stations that EMF hasn't gotten their paws on yet.

• Like 1

The latest entry into the NMSA is that of WLJC, a religious independent in the Lexington DMA, randomly picking up This is the Place. Somehow earlier this week, WTVQ began producing a 9:00 newscast for WLJC and that WLJC took the Antenna TV affiliation for Lexington off of WTVQ's overwhelmed hands.

This is the first news sharing arrangement I can think of which a secular station has produced news for a religious station though WLJC's other subs include GetTV and This TV. I wonder if Morris is gearing up to buy them or to set up a situation where Morris cashes out and a new owner of WTVQ then buys WLJC and probably moves MyNet programming there. The owners of WLJC also owns two FM stations which are among the few KLove and Air1 stations that EMF hasn't gotten their paws on yet.

It is the first instance that I can recall that a major station is producing a local newscast for a religious station.

This does make WLJC recognizable now, even though its a religious station.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic