Out & About

TexasTVNews

Another one's leaving Buffalo's WIVB: this time it's weekend anchor Callan Gray. She'll be leaving the station in a few weeks.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/22/ch-4-weekend-anchor-gray-is-leaving-in-a-few-weeks/

...and meanwhile in Hampton Roads, WAVY anchor/reporter Deanna LeBlanc has announced that she's not returning to the station from maternity leave.

[MEDIA=twitter]976923741019103232[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]976900548292202496[/MEDIA]

KCTV is doubling down on bringing former TV personalities back to TV. They got former KMBC meteorologist Erin Little earlier this year. Now former WDAF traffic anchor/producer Bill Hurrelbrink has joined the KCTV morning show.

• Like 1

It appears WMC and reporter Brix Fowler have parted ways. His bio is no longer on the station's website.

Additionally, weekday morning reporter Jerica Phillips, who has been filling in on weekend mornings for the past several months, has been officially promoted to anchor of those newscasts (which were also recently expanded). She will continue to report during the week as well.

• Like 2

BaltoMedia.net reports that for the first time in decades, the Orioles will not be aired on OTA TV, leaving all games exclusive to MASN (excluding those picked up by ESPN, MLB Network, and FOX. The Nats are also out of an OTA home.

So for cord-cutters in Charm City and the DMV, unless WTTG and/or WBFF pick up some games, you're out of luck, and MASN has no option for in market streaming.

BaltoMedia.net reports that for the first time in decades, the Orioles will not be aired on OTA TV, leaving all games exclusive to MASN (excluding those picked up by ESPN, MLB Network, and FOX. The Nats are also out of an OTA home.

So for cord-cutters in Charm City and the DMV, unless WTTG and/or WBFF pick up some games, you're out of luck, and MASN has no option for in market streaming.

And that's too bad because people that have dropped cable deserves better than that.

I think the only time WTTG/WBFF will pick up games involving either the Nationals, Orioles or the combination of the two is if one or both teams appear on Fox's Baseball Night in America other than that, that'll be the only time Antenna/Streaming-only viewers will be able to watch either the Nationals, Orioles, or both.

• Like 2

Maybe they made the price exhorbanant to keep it all in house. The Nationals are now MASN only as well.

Edit: Sounds like the decision was made by MASN. And we have a quote from our Helvetica Chief KC. http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bs-fe-zontv-orioles-masn-wjz-20180327-story.html

• Like 2

CBS must have thrown enough of a fit about golf preemption for both WJZ and WUSA to drop local baseball

• Like 1

As I said in the MLB Thread, the National need to somehow find a way to get off of MASN and onto NBC Sports Washington, where they would have a chance to get games OTA via WRC and in market streaming. The Nationals have been treated badly by the Orioles since they moved from Montreal in 2005. As for MASN, is it me, or are they the Nexstar of RSNs?

• Like 6

As I said in the MLB Thread, the National need to somehow find a way to get off of MASN and onto NBC Sports Washington, where they would have a change to get games OTA via WRC and in market streaming.

I've said the same thing. They could even get MASN 2 in the deal because this time of year, there'll be a need for a third NBCSN Washington channel to help cover early playoff matches for the Caps and Wizards, as well as early season Nats games.

CBS must have thrown enough of a fit about golf preemption for both WJZ and WUSA to drop local baseball

I know WUSA moved golf or whatever else was on over to their old Bounce subchannel, but now that Bounce is affiliated with WFDC, all WUSA has is Justice Network and I'm not sure how friendly they are with their programming being pre-empted.

In the Alamo City of San Antonio, after 26 years, longtime KSAT Chief Meteorologist Steve Browne is hanging up with weather clicker. He's retiring in June.

https://www.ksat.com/weather/ksat-12-meteorologist-steve-browne-set-to-retire

WTHR's main anchor is calling it a career. John Stehr is retiring after 23 years at the Indianapolis NBC affiliate. Stehr's final day is June 20th. No word on who will succeed him.

https://www.wthr.com/article/anchor-john-stehr-announces-retirement-from-wthrs-13-eyewitness-news

WXYZ is having quite a rough anchor situation:

Morning Anchor Malcom Maddox has been fired for sexual harassment. No replacement named. Morning Meteorologist Keenan Smith has been filling in.

Lead anchor Stephen Clark retired to go to Nashville to do country music and suddenly is going to 104.3 WOMC the number one radio station in Detroit to host their morning show. No replacement named.

Noon and 4pm anchor JoAnne Purtan was laid off in the Scripps cuts after 20 years there.

And 6/7/11pm anchor Carolyn Clifford is out for surgery.

So no morning co-anchor, no noon anchor and no regular 6/7/11pm anchors at the circle 7 right now...

• Like 1

WXYZ is having quite a rough anchor situation:

Morning Anchor Malcom Maddox has been fired for sexual harassment. No replacement named. Morning Meteorologist Keenan Smith has been filling in.

Lead anchor Stephen Clark retired to go to Nashville to do country music and suddenly is going to 104.3 WOMC the number one radio station in Detroit to host their morning show. No replacement named.

Noon and 4pm anchor JoAnne Purtan was laid off in the Scripps cuts after 20 years there.

And 6/7/11pm anchor Carolyn Clifford is out for surgery.

So no morning co-anchor, no noon anchor and no regular 6/7/11pm anchors at the circle 7 right now...

So you're probably hearing this a lot... "I'm (blank), filling in for (blank)."

• Like 2

So you're probably hearing this a lot... "I'm (blank), filling in for (blank)."

For the first time in 10+ years we are getting the story intro then “Good evening I’m blank in for blank and I’m blank...” refreshingly old school and beats the hell out of “first at 11” as an opening line...

KDFW is airing a 7pm newscast on KDFI starting on Monday. Just saw a promo during their 10pm.

First time a 7pm news airing in DFW since KTXA 21 News: First in Prime in '06. (And I still miss that newscasts, they were DFW's KCAL.)

• Like 1

KDFW is airing a 7pm newscast on KDFI starting on Monday. Just saw a promo during their 10pm.

Hold on a second because I am seeing the TV listings and it shows that it will be a rebroadcast of its 6:00 p.m. news. Any way to decipher this with anything that would showcase something else?

Donna Hamilton’s been off the either all or part of last week and so far this week. Deborah Weiner has been the only one filling in. I think it may be safe to say she’s the heir apparent. You also could say she deserves it - she did weekends, now does the 10 PM, was the main anchor WBFF for five years (her bio lists starting their 1997 and joining WBAL in 2002, and has been with them for 16 years.

Also despite WJZ loosing baseball to MASN they are still doing a one hour opening day special starting at 12:30 pm. The games are still on WJZ-FM 105.7.

Also despite WJZ loosing baseball to MASN they are still doing a one hour opening day special starting at 12:30 pm. The games are still on WJZ-FM 105.7.

Nats will be sticking around on WJFK as well, DCRTV reported earlier in the month that the now Entercom station and the Curly Dubs have agreed to a five-year extension.

Donna Hamilton’s been off the either all or part of last week and so far this week. Deborah Weiner has been the only one filling in. I think it may be safe to say she’s the heir apparent. You also could say she deserves it - she did weekends, now does the 10 PM, was the main anchor WBFF for five years (her bio lists starting their 1997 and joining WBAL in 2002, and has been with them for 16 years.

As for Weiner, she's absolutely a good call if she is indeed the heir apparent to Hamilton. Will be a sad day when Hamilton signs off, but it does indeed seem that the future at TV-11 is bright.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic