Out & About

TexasTVNews

Let's go back on topic, please? Thank you!

WAVY anchor/reporter Brandi Cummings is leaving the station. Her last day is Tuesday.

[MEDIA=twitter]975586877804830721[/MEDIA]

Meanwhile, WNCN meteorologist Kristin Ketchell ends her fill-in time at WAVY. Ashley Baylor was on maternity leave and she'll return this week.

[MEDIA=twitter]975719476619603968[/MEDIA]

You're absolutely right, there is nothing funny about it nor is it a situation to make light of. However, we have expressed this in many threads before that Eat News isn't to be taken seriously. He makes jokes. He's entertaining. He's the comedic relief of this forum.

Look, I understand where you're coming from, but you shouldn't get so worked up over things you can't control.

Oh my god. I didn't read the article about the incident. I thought this went off into random territory.

I'm getting back on-topic now...

WNVC and WNVT Channel 30 are scheduled to go off-air April 1st. MHz Worldview will remain on cable in D.C., but the OTA signals and the international news networks carried on the subchannels are scheduled to go off air as well.

https://mhznetworks.com/hello-world/

I'm getting back on-topic now...

WNVC and WNVT Channel 30 are scheduled to go off-air April 1st. MHz Worldview will remain on cable in D.C., but the OTA signals and the international news networks carried on the subchannels are scheduled to go off air as well.

https://mhznetworks.com/hello-world/

WNVC and WNVT are going to be channel-sharing with WHTJ and WCVE, respectively.

WAVY anchor/reporter Brandi Cummings is leaving the station. Her last day is Tuesday.

Meanwhile, WNCN meteorologist Kristin Ketchell ends her fill-in time at WAVY. Ashley Baylor was on maternity leave and she'll return this week.

How does a random catch all thread have a topic?

• Like 5

I don't mean to sound stupid but I didn't know that people could fill in at other stations while working at one.

• Like 1

I don't mean to sound stupid but I didn't know that people could fill in at other stations while working at one.

Last year when WCAU was down to three meteorologists and of the three one was on vacation and a second was sick, they pulled in WRC’s Doug Kammerer and WNBC’s Dave Price to fill in.

• Like 1

Crazy! Someone managed somehow, some way to briefly interrupt a newscast on KRIS/Corpus Christi last night. The screen went black, then you can hear some dude say, 'F--- it. Lick it. Smell it.' The anchor managed to recover and apologize faster than you'd expect in a market that size. No explanation yet.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/2018/03/20/kris-broadcast-interrupted-vulgar-audio-viewers-react-social-media/441083002/

• Like 1

WJLA meteorologist Josh Knight helped out WBFF about a year or so ago in their time of need. Not to mention, the occasional fill-in WX gigs during network morning shows, they usually poach from the O&O's. Similar thing happened when Paul Magers did an impromptu SR when Muhammad Ali passed.

Unrelated but while I'm thinking of it, are network O&O's basically considered de-facto bureaus for their parent network? Not talking about NYC, DC, Chicago, or LA, but say Raleigh for WTVD/ABC, Austin for KTBC/FOX, etc?

• Like 2

Last year when WCAU was down to three meteorologists and of the three one was on vacation and a second was sick, they pulled in WRC’s Doug Kammerer and WNBC’s Dave Price to fill in.

WJLA meteorologist Josh Knight helped out WBFF about a year or so ago in their time of need. Not to mention, the occasional fill-in WX gigs during network morning shows, they usually poach from the O&O's. Similar thing happened when Paul Magers did an impromptu SR when Muhammad Ali passed.

Unrelated but while I'm thinking of it, are network O&O's basically considered de-facto bureaus for their parent network? Not talking about NYC, DC, Chicago, or LA, but say Raleigh for WTVD/ABC, Austin for KTBC/FOX, etc?

An important thing to note here is that all of these stations are owned by the same company. They're not pulling a meteorologist from a Scripps station to fill in from a Hearst station, they're pulling people from within the company but who are at different stations.

• Like 2

The short answer is yes, although in most some top markets, the networks will still operate a de-facto separate operation for true network level correspondents.

The example that comes to mind is in Miami, where NBC has an O&O in WTVJ, but still operates a separate NBC News Miami Bureau.

• Like 1

The short answer is yes, although in most some top markets, the networks will still operate a de-facto separate operation for true network level correspondents.

The example that comes to mind is in Miami, where NBC has an O&O in WTVJ, but still operates a separate NBC News Miami Bureau.

Worth noting that despite the brand new Telemundo Center Headquarters the NBC Network Bureau will remain in their current location. They are in some non descript office building.

• Like 5

It usually happens with stations under common ownershp. WNBC has pulled staff from WVIT (Hartford) and WCAU (Philadelphia) over the years. WNBC staff has filled in on the others as well. Years ago, one of the NBC Miami staff worked at WNBC while his wife was in grad school, then returned to WTVJ.

• Like 1

It usually happens with stations under common ownershp. WNBC has pulled staff from WVIT (Hartford) and WCAU (Philadelphia) over the years. WNBC staff has filled in on the others as well. Years ago, one of the NBC Miami staff worked at WNBC while his wife was in grad school, then returned to WTVJ.

One interesting case was WNBC pulled recently (and several times) WRC’s helicopter reporter.

• Like 1

Meredith is apparently selling Time, Fortune, SI, and laying off 1,200 employees in the process. I am posting this as they've been rumored to be in the running to purchase station in the Sinclair-Tribune divestiture, should the transaction obtain final approval from Washington.

Meredith is apparently selling Time, Fortune, SI, and laying off 1,200 employees in the process. I am posting this as they've been rumored to be in the running to purchase station in the Sinclair-Tribune divestiture, should the transaction obtain final approval from Washington.

Didn't the Koch Brothers give Meredith a huge boat load of $$$ for them to purchase Time?

• Like 1

WALA has hired Byron Day as an anchor for the station's 5pm show.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/112158/anchor-byron-day-joins-wala-mobile-ala

Not only is he a Mobile native, but he worked with soon-to-be retiring primary anchor Bob Grip. Methinks this will be his successor.

Over at WKRG, Peter Albrecht has been splitting anchoring with market veteran Mel Showers (Peter does the 5, 6:30, and 9pm on the CW; Mel does the 6 &10). I imagine it's a successor plan as well when Mel decides to retire.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic