Out & About

TexasTVNews

I'm shocked at how KCCI has essentially ignored this story, just hoping it goes away. The local paper did a fairly lengthy story. The Nexstar station in the market did one, too. It's gone viral, Hearst. Might wanna do something before your reputation takes a bigger hit than it already has.

• Like 3

it gets worse. He was told to stay off of school property. http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/2/21/weatherman-was-told-to-stay-off-school-property

You know what the fucked up part was? Why didn't the school notify his employer at that time? Why they didn't tell his station that he was banned from coming to their campus? He would've been ousted a LONG TIME AGO!!

This reminds me of the Tom "TJ Thunder" Johnston scandal that rocked WCSH last year. There was an allegation of sexual assault, and as the authorities closed in he went missing, and his body was found days later. He killed himself rather than face the music. He had a history of questionable behavior down in Florida before he came north. Tegna forced their longtime chief met Joe Cupo into retirement to advance Johnston. That blew up in their face big time.

• Like 2

This reminds me of the Tom "TJ Thunder" Johnston scandal that rocked WCSH last year. There was an allegation of sexual assault, and as the authorities closed in he went missing, and his body was found days later. He killed himself rather than face the music. He had a history of questionable behavior down in Florida before he came north. Tegna forced their longtime chief met Joe Cupo into retirement to advance Johnston. That blew up in their face big time.

Shades of Joel Rose 16 years ago. Different circumstances, same result.

• Like 1

I remember johnston in cape coral on wftx tell the story on his behavior?

Tegna-itis claims another victim - the First Radio Parish Church of America will cease operations after a 92-year run

http://www.newscentermaine.com/video/news/bgme-first-radio-parish/97-8018630

Seems more like the sad thing that's claiming all the other ministries on radio and television unless they aren't prefixed by 'mega-'; budgets, an ignored kind message, and no real successor to those who pass on. That's how the Green Bay Sunday Mass on WBAY ended up going away; the media person in the local diocese passed away and the church didn't have anyone else to do it (WBAY was originally owned by the St. Norbert's order), so they went with a generic brokered national mass. And thanks to infomercials and house-flippers, the time is easier to sell to them than precious studio time with staff on hand. It probably would have been gone with Hearst, Sinclair, Ion or any other station group.

• Like 3

Lots of changes at WMC... first, as @NCFLMedia reported on his Changing Newscasts Blog, beginning today the noon newscast is back to one hour long, with Right This Minute moving to 3PM replace Crime Watch Daily... and a brand new newscast debuting at 3:30PM, something new for Memphis. Weekend news is expanding as well, with a two hour block from 5-7AM on both Saturdays and Sundays, followed by the existing 9AM hour on Saturdays and 8AM on Sundays. This adds an extra eight hours (!) to their news output every week. While you'd think all this expansion would require new hires, several people are actually LEAVING the station, including evening reporter Jerry Asking, morning reporter Tiffany Neely, and morning anchor Felicia Bolton. It will be interesting to see not only who staffs the new newscasts, but also who replaces these personalities, particularly Felicia since she was only fairly recently promoted to that position. Jerry is headed to WKMG/Orlando as a reporter; Felicia to WNCN/Raleigh as morning anchor/investigative reporter; and Tiffany to a position in Jonesboro, likely at Raycom sister station KAIT if I had to guess. Their new journeys begin on Friday. Oh, and this may not amount to anything, but I thought it was interesting that the tweet comes from a WMC producer on the day of the newscast début... [MEDIA=twitter]968036168448299008[/MEDIA] Joyce Peterson, wife of WMC Chief Meteorologist Ron Childers, has been off the air since departing WATN several years ago not long after that station's rebrand.
  • Like 2

Approaching almost two years exactly since Joyce left WATN which likely was the length of her non-compete. Would seem very possible she could be joining WMC. Morning anchor would be first guess but it could be nearly any position. And looking at her twitter profile her top banner is now a WMC logo - I would say it's nearly a certainty she is going to Ch 5.

Intriguing this huge expansion in its news output. The 3:30 newscast seems really out of place. Not sure there is a place for it in the market though we shall see.

• Like 2

I agree about the 3:30. I saw a job opening (in addition to the expected anchor and reporter ones, plus one for a meteorologist) for a producer of a half-hour lifestyle show for WMC on Raycom's corporate site. Perhaps that's the ultimate plan for that slot? Seems very late in the afternoon for such a thing, though.

EDIT: Regarding Joyce, good catch on the banner! But hasn't it been four years since she left WATN, though?

• Like 1

Approaching almost two years exactly since Joyce left WATN which likely was the length of her non-compete. Would seem very possible she could be joining WMC. Morning anchor would be first guess but it could be nearly any position. And looking at her twitter profile her top banner is now a WMC logo - I would say it's nearly a certainty she is going to Ch 5.

Well, I guess all it took was for someone else to ask: [MEDIA=twitter]968557158509043718[/MEDIA]

Now it's a game of wait and see. Personally, I wouldn't see her wanting the morning shift with her husband on evenings, so my bet's going on coanchor from 3:30-5. Anything is possible, though.

• Like 1

Well, I guess all it took was for someone else to ask: [MEDIA=twitter]968557158509043718[/MEDIA]

Now it's a game of wait and see. Personally, I wouldn't see her wanting the morning shift with her husband on evenings, so my bet's going on coanchor from 3:30-5. Anything is possible, though.

I just saw her do a news report tonight. Whether that means she'll be a general assignment reporter or an anchor/reporter remains to be seen.

• Like 3

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic