Out & About

TexasTVNews

WWBT's Colleen Quigley will join WRAL in Raleigh next month as a reporter according to VARTV...

WBOY's (North-Central West Virginia) Natalie Kalibat has joined sister station WRIC as the sports anchor. Speaking of WRIC, sports director Mitch Carr has left the station.

[MEDIA=twitter]946030290232856576[/MEDIA]

We have more sad news: Remember WNKY's popular Radar the Weather Dog? Sadly, the four-legged television personality passed away (or as we pet owners say, crossed the rainbow bridge) a couple days ago. He was 16. The Border Collie was introduced to South-Central Kentucky viewers back in 2005 after he was rescued by the local shelter and the rest was history. My condolences go out to the folks at WNKY in Bowling Green.

http://www.wnky.com/story/37140670/in-memory-radar-the-weather-dog

[MEDIA=twitter]945667844469149696[/MEDIA]

16 is a nice old age for a dog. always sad to see a furry friend pass away

• Like 1

Longtime WSMV news anchor Demetria Kalodimos is no longer employed at the station as her contract was allowed to expire on yesterday December 31st.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/37167936/wsmv-thanks-demetria-kalodimos

There is also an ongoing lawsuit against the station over allegations of "age discrimination" by some of its former on-air personalities that was filed back in late November (Kalodimos was named a witness in the suit).

http://tennesseestar.com/2017/12/02/former-wsmv-news-channel-4-newscasters-file-age-discrimination-lawsuit/

• Like 4

Longtime WSMV news anchor Demetria Kalodimos is no longer employed at the station as her contract was allowed to expire on yesterday December 31st.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/37167936/wsmv-thanks-demetria-kalodimos

There is also an ongoing lawsuit against the station over allegations of "age discrimination" by some of its former on-air personalities that was filed back in late November (Kalodimos was named a witness in the suit).

http://tennesseestar.com/2017/12/02/former-wsmv-news-channel-4-newscasters-file-age-discrimination-lawsuit/

Not a surprise and a very abrupt ending to a storied career in Nashville television.

It seems Meredith has a lot of skeletons in the closet regarding HR issues. Being a magazine company catering to primarily females, it seems like this type of discrimination is rampant in order to secure younger and cheaper "eye candy".

As soon as her non-compete wraps up, I'm sure she'll be back on Nashville TV again.

• Like 3

Not a surprise and a very abrupt ending to a storied career in Nashville television.

It seems Meredith has a lot of skeletons in the closet regarding HR issues. Being a magazine company catering to primarily females, it seems like this type of discrimination is rampant in order to secure younger and cheaper "eye candy".

As soon as her non-compete wraps up, I'm sure she'll be back on Nashville TV again.

No doubt, she'll resurface soon after that pesky non-compete is done. Demetria is disputing how the "ending" of her career at Channel 4 really went down. It apparently ended with a letter being placed on her desk, according to this article:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/01/01/demetria-kalodimos-and-channel-4-split-after-33-years/970305001/

• Like 6

hell my thoughts on non competes

obviously if you resign with time left in contract the non compete should go for the length of contract left

if your contract ends on its own or the contract is terminated there should be NO NEED for a non compete

• Like 2

At least Dan Miller and Bill Hall weren't here to see this mess go down.

Rudy Kalis put in his 2 cents as well on his facebook page:

Sadly, it's all over. Dan and Bill have passed on and then today the news that Channel 4 has allowed the contract of my dear friend and longtime colleague Demetria Kalodimos to expire. I've always believed that the viewers in our area are the most loyal people I've ever been around. I know they watched me closely, as an outsider, when I came to Nashville some 43 years ago. They don't like change. They like real people. They judge the consistency of character over time and when you're finally able to gain their trust, they give you their hearts. They did with Demetria as well and those hearts, including mine, are broken today.

I love and admire DK. She was and is tough as nails as a journalist, determined to find and stand on the truth. Viewers knew that and so did we. And yet, as a friend to so many of us she had a compassionate heart of gold. I know corporations have the right to bring in national consultants and make bottom-line decisions. It's a tough business, but if loyalty and integrity aren't cherished, then we all suffer. Demetria deserved to be looked in the eye and told, "thank you for all that you have done for this station and this community."

But believe me, DK is destined to continue to do great things. I can't wait.

Goodnight WSMV.

• Like 3

Do you really think Nexstar going to pony up them $$$ dollars for her over at WKRN? Anne Holt retired from the anchor desk, but she in another role and Bob has a few more years to go.

Now with Scripps (being Scripps) I do see her going over at WTVF and whoever the blonde is doing the 5&10pm(move over) she would definitely do well at WTVF. Despite Scripps cuts etc WTVF is financially stable, but will say this despite not being a fan of the parent company.. (Sinclair)

WZTV/ FOX 17 could also lure here over there as well...Sinclair( Yes, I'm no fan of them) could try to bring her on board...Sinclair in some markets have been aggressively luring talent from competing stations.

Here hoping she lands on her feet and it great seeing talent fight for what's there rightful place...Those folks in management are always looking out for their own hide...

I’d maybe see Demetria go to Channel 2 alongside Bob Mueller, so the latter could get another longtime anchor...
  • Like 1

Veteran WPLG anchor Diane Magnum back on air in Miami on a temporary basis at WFOR. Former WPLG anchor Jen Herrera was also offered the gig. She replaces Vanessa Borge who was suddenly let go.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/jose-lambiet/article193012704.html

I mentioned it in the shoutbox when I watched WFOR one time and was surprised to see Diane Magnum on-air.

Summary:

Jen didn't want it because she didn't want to do TV permanently again.

Vanessa got into a feud with WFOR because of a vacation in L.A. and went to tour KCBS-KCAL while at it to possibly find a job there, which made WFOR management mad, which is why she left.

So glad to see Diane again!

• Like 3

I mentioned it in the shoutbox when I watched WFOR one time and was surprised to see Diane Magnum on-air.

Summary:

Vanessa got into a feud with WFOR because of a vacation in L.A. and went to tour KCBS-KCAL while at it to possibly find a job there, which made WFOR management mad, which is why she left.

Yep, it was surprising to see Vanesasa go because she just accepted the promotion but the article explains it all. So far, she has not resufarced anywhere else. I do hope she lands back on her feet. Jen is one of my favorites, I would have loved if she took the job full time but alas.
  • Like 2

Veteran WPLG anchor Diane Magnum back on air in Miami on a temporary basis at WFOR. Former WPLG anchor Jen Herrera was also offered the gig. She replaces Vanessa Borge who was suddenly let go.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/jose-lambiet/article193012704.html

Summary:

Isn’t it somewhat common for people to visit sister stations or those unrelated to their own when on vacation especially if you have friends working there? If your on Instagram you’ll see plenty of visits to other stations while on vacation - usually to see old friends.

Could it be as simple as someone at KCBS/KCAL heard she was there visiting from their sister station, heard about the promotion and wanted to talk?

• Like 1

Could it be as simple as someone at KCBS/KCAL heard she was there visiting from their sister station, heard about the promotion and wanted to talk?

Yep...

Or even more sinister...

Sometimes talent will show up to other stations to visit friends...and "be

seen" exclusively for gossip and negotiation reasons.

Make 'em think you are being shopped....when you are not.

...and sometimes that backfires.

• Like 3

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic