Out & About

TexasTVNews

If the newscast is successful, do you think they might start a 6pm weekday newscast?

Without a doubt. Remember, Fox owns the rights for TMZ for its O&Os. Once TMZ's agreement with WCCB ends, expect TMZ to jump to 'JZY and 'CCB to launch a weekday 6pm newscast.

I wouldn't bet on it. Pretty sure WCCB's control room is occupied at 6pm weekdays producing a newscast. It just doesn't air in Charlotte.

I believe all the production still originates out of WCCB/Charlotte. WCCB's Technical Operations Manager Bob Davis is a pretty frequent poster over at AVS Forum. When a poster suggested adding a 6pm newscast on WCCB around the time of the affiliation switch he quickly replied with "We do a 6pm newscast already..Except it airs in Columbia... smile.gif".

There is a reason they are only adding a 6pm newscast on the weekends and not weekdays.

I'm pretty sure WOLO has a control room in Columbia again since they air morning newscasts now.

Not 100% sure but, to the best of my knowledge WOLO's morning newscast is still controlled out of WCCB/Charlotte, too. I believe they set up a small separate "control room" at WCCB's facility to handle the WOLO morning newscast. One of WCCB's directors posted
of Good Morning Columbia's launch showing the set up.

Austin's KXAN NBC 36 anchor Leslie Cook-Rhode is leaving the station at the end of this year, news director Chad Cross is beginning a candidate search for the main anchor position.

http://www.kxan.com/about-us/kxan-anchor-leslie-rhode-plans-to-sign-off

Wouldn't surprise me if they promoted either Shannon Wolfson or Sally Hernandez to the main spot. Both are deserving of it. Though if Christine Haas had just waited a little longer for an opening...

Someone on the comments section of their site suggested their weekend evening anchor would be bumped up. That won't happen because their weekend evening anchor is David Scott...

Gray Television has a wild new logo. Gone is the conservative oval and in is...well, click the link. Unfortunately I can't post the image here because of image extension restrictions.

Meanwhile, without Fox, WCCB is turning its attention toward local sports. They secured a contract to show UNC Charlotte football games (the team started up this year) and could soon be the TV home of Charlotte Knights baseball. The football games apparently have attracted four times the projected viewership.

Gray Television has a wild new logo. Gone is the conservative oval and in is...well, click the link. Unfortunately I can't post the image here because of image extension restrictions.

Meanwhile, without Fox, WCCB is turning its attention toward local sports. They secured a contract to show UNC Charlotte football games (the team started up this year) and could soon be the TV home of Charlotte Knights baseball. The football games apparently have attracted four times the projected viewership.

WIBW has the new.gray tv logo.as well.

KHON has at last debuted HD news, as well as a set that incorporates lots of blue-greens and new music with traditional Hawaiian instruments (!).

If that music stands up to their 1995 theme—one of the best ever—it is certainly worth a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roypdLA22_A

Well, pretty much the only Hawaiian-sounding thing in there was a steel drum signature, but I like the water effects they got going in the graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roypdLA22_A

Well, pretty much the only Hawaiian-sounding thing in there was a steel drum signature, but I like the water effects they got going in the graphics.

It's Inergy, no less. Though I suspect KHON commissioned the alternate instrumentation. Stephen Arnold has done some interesting regional variations on his packages before—the KABB mariachi variant of the Sinclair package and the

come to mind.

Speaking of which, unfortunately the latter seems to no longer be in use.

It's Inergy, no less. Though I suspect KHON commissioned the alternate instrumentation. Stephen Arnold has done some interesting regional variations on his packages before—the KABB mariachi variant of the Sinclair package and the
come to mind.

Speaking of which, unfortunately the latter seems to no longer be in use.

And not to forget to mention that this is the first time an Arnold theme is used in Hawaii!! What an incredible start.

Their new logo reminds me a lot of KXAN's logo. And did they hire the same company that designed the new CBS O&O graphics to design their new graphics too?

1381737_10151731442491379_1559171054_n.jpg

Either way, it was something that was long overdue for KHON. I thought their old package look dated when it first came out.

Former WAVY/WTKR anchor Les Smith is returning to television on a temporary basis to help WTKR cover various state political races

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/10/longtime-anchor-les-smith-returning-tv-bit

Should be especially interesting if he has to cover the Chesapeake sheriff's race; where one of the candidates shares Les' name.

Current USMNT and Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard is going to be a guest commentator on the Premier League on NBCSN between Chelsea FC vs Manchester City FC on Sunday afternoon. And I'm going to say that it's going to be interesting.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/21/u-s-national-team-keeper-tim-howard-to-call-chelsea-vs-manchester-city-on-nbc-sports/

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic