Out & About

TexasTVNews

Starting Monday Dec 4, CBS 4's (WFOR) morning news starts at 4:30 joining WPLG and WTVJ. That leaves WSVN as the only station to start at 5:00.

Considering the sheer number of lights in their "newsplex", that's a half-hour's worth of savings on their electrical bill. :D

• Like 2

Starting Monday Dec 4, CBS 4's (WFOR) morning news starts at 4:30 joining WPLG and WTVJ. That leaves WSVN as the only station to start at 5:00.

You would think WSVN would jump on board before WFOR does. But I thought wrong. I wonder why WSVN is taking so long, considering WHDH went to 4:30 a.m. at the beginning of this year.

From Hampton Roads: WVEC morning and noon anchor Andre Senior is leaving the station in mid-December...

[MEDIA=twitter]935278828003430400[/MEDIA]

...meanwhile in Pittsburgh, WPXI weekend morning anchor Brittny McGraw is heading to Roanoke's WSLS 10 soon.

[MEDIA=twitter]935986880071340032[/MEDIA]

You would think WSVN would jump on board before WFOR does. But I thought wrong. I wonder why WSVN is taking so long, considering WHDH went to 4:30 a.m. at the beginning of this year.

I’m more surprised that they’re just now making this move. Most large markets have been 4:30 a.m. starts for the better part of a decade now.

WNYT's had a little bit of a rough week. On Monday, morning anchor Phil Bayly announced his retirement after 31 years, 14 in mornings and yesterday 10:00/11:00 meteorologist Jason Gough announced that he was leaving at the end of January after 13 years.

I wonder if this is the point in which a lot of the old guard starts stepping down.

From Hampton Roads: WVEC morning and noon anchor Andre Senior is leaving the station in mid-December...

[MEDIA=twitter]935278828003430400[/MEDIA]

...meanwhile in Pittsburgh, WPXI weekend morning anchor Brittny McGraw is heading to Roanoke's WSLS 10 soon.

[MEDIA=twitter]935986880071340032[/MEDIA]

Just when the Daybreak team was starting to mesh....

• Like 5

Maybe @Thundershock MN can answer this hypothetical as he’s the spectrum auction and licensing guru. First, NBCU and their Telemundo Station Group are buying many ZGS Group Telemundo stations including two low powers that will be channel sharing with their NBC big “sisters”. So I am wondering with stations channel sharing and all and this new licensing strategy within the FCC could a station such as KFMB “sign on” and register a new TV station for their CW affiliate (assumeably would need to be full power) to gain and force must carry status for cable and satellite companies? As far as I know the CW channel isn’t still on satellite and being a separately licensed full power station would require them to carry the CW. Of course that would incur FCC fees licensing fees (which hopefully the retransmission consent would pay) and other regulatory hurdles such as duopoly rules. But I brought it up for stations that have major network affiliations on a low power sister station or subchannel that would end up turning full power if they elected to channel share.
  • Like 5