Out & About

TexasTVNews

Apparently WGCL is not ready to give up on news just yet. In 2 weeks, they will launch a 9pm newscast for now full sister station WPCH. And knowing the struggles GCL has had over the years, the new WPCH newscast will be the highest rated of all of 46's newscasts. http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/cbs46-launches-9pm-newscast/194914

• Like 3

Sounds like there's a secret purge happening at KGBT. http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/kgbt-anchors-missing-from-social-media/194942 According to the commenter on the article they kept cutting away from CBS coverage of the Vegas shooting to go to other programming. Also apparently their tag outs reference a convenience store?

• Like 2

Sounds like there's a secret purge happening at KGBT. http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/kgbt-anchors-missing-from-social-media/194942 According to the commenter on the article they kept cutting away from CBS coverage of the Vegas shooting to go to other programming. Also apparently their tag outs reference a convenience store?

Don't they get creamed by KRGV in the ratings anyway?

• Like 1

The tagouts are clumsy. They reference their website, ValleyCentral.com.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1572731756130351

Longtime WRAL morning/noon co-anchor Bill Leslie will retire on June 30th, 2018. David Crabtree also said recently that he'll be retiring at the end of 2018.

Two very big shoes to fill at WRAL. It won't be the same after 2018, that's for sure. When you lose big news anchors like Bill Leslie and David Crabtree who have personified WRAL News for decades, its like Charlie Gaddy and Larry Stonger... its hard to swallow and they're irreplaceable once they leave. Truly irreplaceable.

• Like 3

Two very big shoes to fill at WRAL. It won't be the same after 2018, that's for sure. When you lose big news anchors like Bill Leslie and David Crabtree who have personified WRAL News for decades, its like Charlie Gaddy and Larry Stonger... its hard to swallow and they're irreplaceable once they leave. Truly irreplaceable.

In the next 5-10 years, I honestly won't be surprised if Greg Fishel decides to call it a career. How can you "replace" a guy like the Fish? Granted I think someone like Mike Maze or Elizabeth Gardner would be promoted, but still... it's crazy.

As for WRAL, I'd say Gerald Owens would be the best pick for Crabtree, don't know about Bill Leslie though...

I'd honestly like to see Ken Smith get to take Bill Leslie's spot in the morning. He's been the weekend evening co-anchor for ages it seems, incredibly good reporter, and very well liked among the viewers.

Regardless of who is picked though, I'm sure Capitol Broadcasting has enough common sense to promote within and not hire from the outside, unless they were able to snag someone from WTVD or WNCN.

Tom Green, KWGN's longtime morning anchor and KUSA's sports anchor of a bygone era, has been hired to anchor the 4 and 5pm news on KUSA according to his Twitter.
“I always figured I’d return to 9NEWS at some point,” Green told KUSA “It’s where I started my career in Colorado and has always felt like home.”

KDKA-TV 2's morning traffic reporter Sarah Arbogast has left the station. Celina Pompeani has joined the station as traffic reporter. She is the youngest of evening sports anchor Bob Pompeani's two daughters.

• Like 1

After 34 years in TV, Clint Yeatts has called it a day. He spent many years in the Tyler-Longview market; much of them at KLTV, but more recently co-anchoring the morning news on KYTX. His last broadcast was this morning. He has accepted a position with a Tyler accounting firm, and will still do shows for 2 Tyler area radio stations.

http://www.cbs19.tv/mobile/article/news/local/clint-yeatts-signs-off-the-air-after-34-years/483060220

More changes at WMC Memphis: Meteorologist Andrew Kozak has seemed to indicate that he will be leaving the station by the end of the month. ... Elsewhere, anchor Kendall Kirkham, who was also moved to weekends recently (from the weekday morning show)...posted on Facebook that she hopes to have more news in the future as well.

A couple of updates here - Kozak did indeed leave WMC at the close of September (as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread), which he suggested was due to a contract dispute. He will be freelancing at KVUE in Austin beginning next week, but continues to call Memphis home for now. Kirkham, meanwhile, has announced that she will be joining WTSP in Tampa for "Great Day Tampa Bay" beginning in November.

Many viewers have been commenting that WMC has made some major mistakes in losing these talents. Whether it is his fault or not, I've also noticed that many others are pinning the blame on the station's new GM (as of August) Jonathan Mitchell.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic