Out & About

TexasTVNews

Isn't this like the mess their sister station was starting, WTSP?

Certainly sounds like it based on one quote in FTV Live's article on it (emphasis original)

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/9/22/tegna-blowing-up-the-news-in-norfolk

According to the station, WVEC wants to "ENTERTAIN you" with their new newscast.

Somewhere I think Jim Kincaid and Terry Zahn are doing rapid spinning in their graves.

• Like 1

Certainly sounds like it based on one quote in FTV Live's article on it (emphasis original)

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/9/22/tegna-blowing-up-the-news-in-norfolk

Somewhere I think Jim Kincaid and Terry Zahn are doing rapid spinning in their graves.

It really wasn't like what FTV made it seem to be. I watched it, and what it appeared to be reaching for is the "Next" format, or a newsmagazine. Still had an A-block, weather and sports. It still has kinks, but it could work.

I just wish folks wouldn't take the sensationalism/over the top analytics from the FTVLive tabloid so seriously.

• Like 3

Been thinking lately about WRAL and the Olympics this year, I wonder how they're going to handle the Raycom ACC package during prime time? I assume they could send basketball over to FOX 50, because putting it on a subchannel would piss a lot of people off, especially bar owners that have Directv/Dish Network and no subchannels, and I can't imagine NBC would be too happy about them delaying/moving the Olympics to a subchannel either.

Food for thought lately.

I’m assuming that affiliates have to have something absolutely epic occur to be able to pre-empt Olympic coverage. During the Rio olympics there was a supposed shooting inside Crabtree Valley Mall. WTVD went all in for two or three hours with reporters live around the exterior of the mall while WRAL broke in once or twice for a minute or so and ran crawls. It was a huge story for the day. No way will NBC let them kick olympics for basketball. My bet is on Fox 50.

• Like 2

It's a lil fuzz nubber named Travis Rice...from WCBD in Charlston SC.

I had a screen grab but got scared and threw it away... cuz this guy looks underage...I don't want to go to jail this week.

Ah yes. Haven't been able to catch him on air, but let's see how green his reporting chops are.

Maybe Gene and Chase Cain can be roomies...and share war stories of the tough ladder they both climbed to the

"top"...or share Chihuahua grooming tips.

According to Chase's website he works at Hulu helping with documentarys, producing and working the red carpet as a correspondent. He also works as an "internal journalist" interviewing Hulus employees.

I’m assuming that affiliates have to have something absolutely epic occur to be able to pre-empt Olympic coverage. During the Rio olympics there was a supposed shooting inside Crabtree Valley Mall. WTVD went all in for two or three hours with reporters live around the exterior of the mall while WRAL broke in once or twice for a minute or so and ran crawls. It was a huge story for the day. No way will NBC let them kick olympics for basketball. My bet is on Fox 50.

don't get why people think NBC will get angry for preempting olympics for breaking news.... they won't if it's something significant (like a mass shooting)...

that is the first cut-in WTMJ broke in to the '12 summer olympics (on a sunday morning!!) for the Sikh temple shooting... once more crew came in, olympics got pushed off to 4.2 for the rest of the day... they are still one of the oldest NBC affiliates in the country... :rolleyes:

sports? hell no... but if there's a major breaker they can totally preempt the olympics... no one wants to be the network that punished a local station for covering local news... the reason WRAL probably didn't cover it? olympic news preemptions = less staff scheduled to work & calling in crew not scheduled to work = $$$overtime$$$!!!

don't get why people think NBC will get angry for preempting olympics for breaking news.... they won't if it's something significant (like a mass shooting)...

that is the first cut-in WTMJ broke in to the '12 summer olympics (on a sunday morning!!) for the Sikh temple shooting... once more crew came in, olympics got pushed off to 4.2 for the rest of the day... they are still one of the oldest NBC affiliates in the country... :rolleyes:

sports? hell no... but if there's a major breaker they can totally preempt the olympics... no one wants to be the network that punished a local station for covering local news... the reason WRAL probably didn't cover it? olympic news preemptions = less staff scheduled to work & calling in crew not scheduled to work = $$$overtime$$$!!!

Oh dear lord...(smh,smh)

Breaking into the Olympics with breaking news is nothing new.

Just ask ABC.

• Like 1

According to Chase's website he works at Hulu helping with documentarys, producing and working the red carpet as a correspondent. He also works as an "internal journalist" interviewing Hulus employees.

From KNBC "freelancer" to "Internal Journalist"...

Hey Gene Kang....you paying attention here<<<<

Hey guys...

"Freelancing" at an O&O in a major market means...

Working as a 1099 employee...no benefits...no overtime...crap hours...unsecured ...no protections. Yucky money.

The Idea in TV news is to actually have "made it" when you get to the top 10.

You should have earned the full-time by now.

Don't get me wrong, some situations are perfect for freelancing if you need and desire a very flexible employment situation....like part-time work...NOT full-time.

It's just a way for the employer to string you along by telling you...

"We like your work...but not enough ... to give you a real high paying slot."

The "real" union gigs are protected like gold by the employers (high pay) and the unions (few union jobs left) who protect those gigs for their own.

• Like 2

I remember that shooting quite well, but didn't remember when it was.

• Like 3

It's just a way for the employer to string you along by telling you...

"We like your work...but not enough ... to give you a real high paying slot."

The "real" union gigs are protected like gold by the employers (high pay) and the unions (few union jobs left) who protect those gigs for their own.

Are the journalists in the LA stations unioned? I imagine a lot of technical stuff still is.

I believe the only on air union shops in Baltimore are WMAR and WBAL. Likewise I think they are on the production/engineering side as well.

The banishment of "My" continues... (Though for KDFI, this seems a little less necessary than it might have been for some of the ex-UPN outlets...)

Especially since they established themselves as KFDI/27 for years as an indie; why not just go back to the old branding that worked rather than 'hey, this rhymes, it's cute and it might attract three more people?'.

I understand the way they felt. I know she was afraid but everyone was. If we were required to work and she just didn't show up, that's not fair to the other people.

And besides how the hell do you replace a popular anchor for this one anf people were angry as hell about it

• Like 4