Out & About

TexasTVNews

As for Lockwood, Raycom would technically make more sense geographically when it comes to KTEN, KAKE, and WHDF (if shelled under American Spirit). WKNX and WSKY are probably worth less than $10 million for the two stations combined, but I don't know who would want to put money into a couple loser independents.

Exactly. Would Raycom necessarily want to run a standalone indie in Hampton Roads? If they were going to pair it with WTVZ (which in all honesty, is an independent itself), I would understand, though.

As I have said before, Raycom and Tegna are the only two I could really see geting involved unless all of the stations are sold in separate sales.

Some anchor replacements were announced......

Dawn Davenport is leaving WKRN after ten years as a morning anchor and reporter. Her last day at the station is Friday.

http://wkrn.com/2017/08/08/dawn-davenport-to-leave-news-2-after-10-years/

WKRN's weekend morning anchor Nikki Burdine will replace Davenport as new weekday morning anchor. The article didn't say when she will start.

KRIV/Houston main anchor Melinda Spaulding just announced on social media that she's stepping down from the 5 and 9 p.m. newscasts to spend more time with her family.

From McGuff, Spaulding is leaving next Friday (8/18). And replacing her will be former WPIX personality and current KRIV reporter Kaitlin Monte.

• Like 1

Good news for a weather department of WVEC that's been hit pretty hard by illness this year, as chief meteorologist Jeff Lawson's surgery to remove part of his tongue went better than expected.

http://www.13newsnow.com/mb/news/jeff-lawson-expected-to-be-okay-after-surgery-to-remove-part-of-tongue/462082047

Also some great news for weekend morning meteorologist Crystal Harper, who appears well on her way to beating the Stage 2 Hodgkin's lymphoma diagnosis after announcing her latest tests showed that, while she's not completely cancer free yet, all the active cancer cells are gone.

http://www.13newsnow.com/mb/news/meteorologist-crystal-harper-shared-news-about-pet-scan-results/461892664

• Like 3

What would WWOR rebrand itself as? Fox 5 Plus? Jersey 9?

Been wondering this myself. Probably something with a tie-in to New Jersey, so that they don't get more backlash from the NJ politicians.

Doesn't mean they can't use it for WWOR. However, making WWOR "its own thing" and reviving news from Secaucus might put FTS back in the good graces of the New Jersey politicians.

1. The "Service to New Jersey" thing is way overblown and I think people read into it too much. Also, said politicians that did a lot of the fist pounding are no longer with us.

2. If I was going to place a bet I'd put majority of my chips on them simply going back to "WWOR 9". Like KTVU I think this is the one case where the calls hold some value in the market. But, that's just my opinion. And, I agree with CircleSeven that the NYC & LA stations will be the last to receive a rebranding if they decide to go all in with rebranding the MNT O&O's.

WFTC has unveiled its branding of Fox 9+.

Of the 4 duopoly partners that have now been rebranded I think this ranks towards the top. The blue & black looks nice and should flow with any MNT promos/imaging. But, they are also using a red and black logo/imaging in some on air promos which makes no sense to me and seems out of place from cohesion standpoint. But, I guess it could be worse.

Sorry for the double post but don't you think this will also mean that KMSP will add news to WFTC as well? Just like its other sister stations?

Yes, they are adding a 7pm newscast. It won't launch until later this fall. My guess is Mid-September. But, I haven't heard an exact start date or anchor team.

FWIW, I was under the impression the rebrand would take place along side the Minnesota State Fair (Aug. 24 - Sept. 4.) And, They'd use the event as the "big unvailing" for the new brand. For whatever reason they choose to quietly "soft launch" last Friday night. Unlike their sister stations I don't believe any press release/news article has been put out yet and the My29 subsite is still up and running. So, I'm kind of thinking the fair will be the "official" launch. I'd expect more on said newscast and the rest of the "Fox 9+" lineup at that time.

PS - Unless there has been a mass exodus recently there appears to be an inordinate amount of job openings in Houston right now....just saying.

Maybe WWOR can pull a KTLA and bring back one of their heritage logos. All they need to do is acquire the rights to the Mets from WPIX and then we go full circle with the New York Baseball Teams on OTA TV for the first time since 1998.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsjV6JD6-77DfXzWsugYOFPu7MICp_nZabC56p5cVFSxd1gwBT7Vkmuok

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 3

Maybe WWOR can pull a KTLA and bring back one of their heritage logos. All they need to do is acquire the rights to the Mets from WPIX and then we go full circle with the New York Baseball Teams on OTA TV for the first time since 1998.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsjV6JD6-77DfXzWsugYOFPu7MICp_nZabC56p5cVFSxd1gwBT7Vkmuok

hqdefault.jpg

I'm concerned that Fox/Fox5 has made WWOR so irrlevent that it may never be able to recover unless it is sold. They have even moved that horrendous Chasing News out of the 10 pm hour and replaced it with some bad game show. Not a good sign. I would even guess that since CBS bought LI"s TV 55, it has more relevancy today than the old channel 9.

I've seen this happen twice before, stations suing to collect money from people who quit while under contract. A station really can't force anyone to come to work. But it sets a bad precedent if you agree to two years, and quit after six months without consequence.

I've seen this happen twice before, stations suing to collect money from people who quit while under contract. A station really can't force anyone to come to work. But it sets a bad precedent if you agree to two years, and quit after six months without consequence.

I have seen a few sued also with varied success such as a default judgement when the reporter ignored the summons. Another time a station fired the guy...but told the courts and state employment dept that he quit. Station was fined by the state for being lying idiots.

These "contracts" are not written with the talent in mind, and at this level your agent is not doing you any favors beyond collecting 10% of your pay. The kids will sign anything to get hired no matter how lopsided it is.

It's also not real good business to sue your employees too often. Antics like that DO blow back into the employers face, and cost more than $10,000 in ill will, and very nasty PR in the business trades.

• Like 3

I'm concerned that Fox/Fox5 has made WWOR so irrlevent that it may never be able to recover unless it is sold. They have even moved that horrendous Chasing News out of the 10 pm hour and replaced it with some bad game show. Not a good sign. I would even guess that since CBS bought LI"s TV 55, it has more relevancy today than the old channel 9.

WWOR is basically a parking lot with few noted shining rims. It's basically a subchannel, even if they can't move into WNYW's subs due to COL requirements, I believe. Mind you, Chasing was relocated to 11pm for 'Family Feud' hour reruns. 'Some bad game show' you may be talking about is the limited summer test run, 'Iwitness', produced by Judge Judy.

• Like 3

When they were using that branding, KTBC always used "The Fox 7 News Edge at (time)," but they also spent the 80s, 90s, and early 00s with at least one newscast branded as "The Channel 7/Fox 7 News (time) Report".

FOX O&O's that currently use NewsEdge:

KRIV (as of Monday; 10pm)

WAGA (11pm)

WJBK (11pm)

WOFL (11pm)

FOX O&O's that have used NewsEdge:

KDFW (9pm segments)

KTBC (across all newscasts was used, I think)

WTVT (11pm)

WTTG (6 and 11pm)

FOX O&O's that have never used NewsEdge:

KMSP

KSAZ

KTTV

KTVU

WFLD

WJZY

WNYW

WOGX (it still doesn't simulcast WOFL's 11pm weeknight news)

WTXF

You'd be surprised that a majority of its O&O's actually never used it.

• Like 1

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic