Out & About

TexasTVNews

Another FOX O&O / MyTV rebrand. Starting Monday, KUTP 45 will become known as FOX 10 Xtra and FOX 10 News NOW will be making its television debut.

[MEDIA=twitter]893942162341101568[/MEDIA]

The Fox 10 News NOW is an interesting concept and has gained national and I think international attention with their mix of "raw" video. Any word if it will be like the online version? Coming from that cramped "broom cupboard" (as the BBC folks say) or the news studio.

• Like 3

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is still the station that runs like a small market station in a large market. They still send MMJs everywhere when all the big boys have a reporter and photog in an ENG truck at the same event, and they still whore themselves out by producing paid programming features during newscast breaks.

If Fisher Price ever got into news, their news channel would look a lot like KRON.

It's going to take years for KRON to ever return to a bare shell of respectability in the market. And with Nexstar as the owner... :rolleyes:

That being said, this realignment of the prime time news block back to 8p-11p is a no-brainer, and never should have been broken up in the first place.

Been meaning to post this for a while, as this has actually been slowly taking place over the past several weeks:

WMC has undergone a pretty major anchoring shuffle. Kym Clark asked to move from the weekday morning news to noon and 4PM, and finally received permission from the bosses. She displaces morning anchors Kendall Kirkham and Janeen Gordon at noon, and evening anchor Kontji Anthony at 4. This will be the first time WMC has a designated anchor for this shift.

Replacing Kym in the morning is weekend evening anchor Felicia Bolton. But the rest of the morning team has been changed around, too. Instead of Kendall Kirkham, Andrew Douglas is now at the anchor desk with Felicia. He moves over from the "Alert Center." Weekend morning anchor Kendall Downing is currently stationed at the Alert Center in place of Andrew; not sure if that's permanent or not.

This has also resulted in Kendall Kirkham being sent to anchor on weekend evenings (and of course report during the week). Unsure if that's to be permanent either, although it's possible she may have asked for a reduced shift to spend more time with her child. Weekend mornings are rotating anchors for the time being as well.

All of this comes after a meteorologist shuffle I posted about earlier this year which found all but Chief Meteorologist Ron Childers swapping shifts. WMC must be trying to do all they can to beat WREG, which has been vulnerable since Richard Ransom parted ways with the station. And come to think of it, I still haven't seen any July Sweeps ratings for Memphis, which WREG normally posts in a heartbeat when they've won...

• Like 2

WMC must be trying to do all they can to beat WREG, which has been vulnerable since Richard Ransom parted ways with the station. And come to think of it, I still haven't seen any July Sweeps ratings for Memphis, which WREG normally posts in a heartbeat when they've won...

They didn't post July numbers last year either.

They didn't post July numbers last year either.

Ah. My bad! I know I had seen a 2015 July ratings report in my research and must have mistaken it for 2016 instead.

Meanwhile, (before Kendall Kirkham begins anchoring next weekend) the whole weekday evening anchor team is in tonight before schools start back tomorrow. They're sure taking this "Official Back to School Station" thing pretty far!

• Like 2

HLN announces that Carol Costello and S.E. Cupp's shows will debut on August 21st.

The new HLN weekday schedule (per AdWeek) will be

6a-11a: Morning Express with Robin Meade

11a-1p: Across America with Carol Costello

1p-3p: On the Story with Erica Hill

3p-5p: Michaela Pereria

5p-7p: Forensic Files and/or CNN/HLN original series reruns

7p-8p: S.E. Cupp Unfiltered

8p-9p: Primetime Justice with Ashleigh Banfield

9p-6a: Forensic Files

(all times Eastern)

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/carol-costello-and-s-e-cupps-hln-shows-launch-aug-21/337420

• Like 2

HLN announces that Carol Costello and S.E. Cupp's shows will debut on August 21st.

The new HLN weekday schedule (per AdWeek) will be

6a-11a: Morning Express with Robin Meade

(all times Eastern)

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/carol-costello-and-s-e-cupps-hln-shows-launch-aug-21/337420

Robin Meade is pulling a 5 hour shift?

Is she still beating CNN in the 7-9a slot?

May as well call it now. Heck, Nexstar will probably pick up WHDF and KTEN as well. If Lockwood plans on leaving the business altogether. But if Tegna got it, they could get KTEN and WSKY in a package deal. WSKY could create a duopoly with WVEC. (That may need additional vetting however to make sure Norfolk can support another duopoly.)

Between the Nexstar WAVY-WVBT duopoly and whichever stations Sinclair keeps between WTVZ and the WTKR-WGNT duopoly they inherited from Tribune, I think Tegna (nee Gannett and Belo) waited too late to pursue a duopoly with WSKY and WVEC. Can't see another duopoly being allowed for Norfolk.

• Like 1

Between the Nexstar WAVY-WVBT duopoly and whichever stations Sinclair keeps between WTVZ and the WTKR-WGNT duopoly they inherited from Tribune, I think Tegna (nee Gannett and Belo) waited too late to pursue a duopoly with WSKY and WVEC. Can't see another duopoly being allowed for Norfolk.

At least, not without a waiver.

Actually, there would be enough stations for TEGNA to form a WSKY/WVEC duopoly if Sinclair sold either WTVZ or WTKR/WGNT.

2- UNC

3, 27- Sinclair/Tribune

4, 13- TEGNA

10, 43- Nexstar

15- WHRO

21- TBN

33- Sinclair

49- Ion

• Like 1

Some GM moves.

Meredith appointed former WHO GM Dale Woods to be the new VP & GM of Nashville's WSMV. Woods replaces longtime GM Doreen Wade, which she'd retired back in June.

Also former LIN/MG executive Jay Howell is the new GM of CBS's Sacramento duopoly KOVR/KMAX. Howell suceeds former GM Kevin Walsh, which he's been appointed to replace the retired Bruno Cohen as the new GM of San Francisco duopoly KPIX/KBCW.

• Like 3

A settlement was reached. The terms weren't disclosed.

It is now disclosed that Disney paid $177M to settle the case.

Remember that meat company was seeking more than $5.7B in damages.

• Like 5

Another FOX O&O / MyTV rebrand. Starting Monday, KUTP 45 will become known as FOX 10 Xtra and FOX 10 News NOW will be making its television debut.

Little birdie tells me WFTC is next in line. Sounds like the branding will be "Fox 9+". I find it some interesting that Fox isn't using a standard template and/or logos for these rebrands given their liking for brand standardization. If the new logo I've seen is legit they are yet again doing something a little different from the other My O&O's that have been rebranded. It appears they will keep the blue & black color scheme and use a the horizontal "Fox 9" bug logo (recolored blue & black) with a smaller "+" appended to the end. It also sounds like it will be rebranded here in the next month as well.

• Like 4

Looks like KDFI isn't far behind. They recently moved MyNet out of prime time.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic