Out & About

TexasTVNews

It's going to take a while to get used to a Nexstar that's finally been convinced 'call letters in a web address without some hokey 34-letter branding aren't terrible'.

Well Nexstar has LocalSYR.com for WSYR. Couldn't use "cnyhomepage" since its already used on sister WUTR/WFXV.

And we know how they want to beef up the use of the word "

". :rolleyes:

A couple of WEWS/Cleveland moves:

Corrina Pysa is moving from Good Morning Cleveland to The Now at 4pm as Rob Powers' co-anchor, according to her Facebook page. Danita Harris will continue as 6 and 11pm co-anchor with Powers.

Also, Homa Bash is returning to the station according to FTVLive. It is not known what her new role will be.

Some updates from WGCL.

They have fired their chief meteorologist Jim Kosek http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/25/atlanta-weatherman-bounced

they have also fired a Managing Editor, Producer, and operations manager http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/23/more-sacked-at-troubled-meredith-station

rumor is that current anchor Sharron Reid is pushing management to hire former WOIO News Director Doerr to be the new News Director at WGCL. Doerr, along with GM Bill Applegate, helped transform WOIO into a competitor in Cleveland (only for Raycom to dismantle everything for no real reason). Doerr and Reid have a history, Reid worked at WOIO under Doerr and he encouraged her to take part in a nude photo shoot for a story. http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/28/someone-knocking-at-the-doerr-in-atlanta

Some updates from WGCL.

They have fired their chief meteorologist Jim Kosek http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/25/atlanta-weatherman-bounced

they have also fired a Managing Editor, Producer, and operations manager http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/23/more-sacked-at-troubled-meredith-station

rumor is that current anchor Sharron Reid is pushing management to hire former WOIO News Director Doerr to be the new News Director at WGCL. Doerr, along with GM Bill Applegate, helped transform WOIO into a competitor in Cleveland (only for Raycom to dismantle everything for no real reason). Doerr and Reid have a history, Reid worked at WOIO under Doerr and he encouraged her to take part in a nude photo shoot for a story. http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/28/someone-knocking-at-the-doerr-in-atlanta

Yeah, Doerr could do wonders at GCL even Bill Applegate get him out of retirement.

• Like 1

We've had WDVM/WHAG on Fios for a few days now, but only in SD on channel 31, and I gotta say I do enjoy hearing about different stories you won't hear on the big 4 in DC, plus I have family in West Virginia so WV Tonight Live is a good resource to hearing about news in their area.

I drove up from Arlington to Hagerstown to record the last newscast on WHAG. It appeared that the 10pm was live, but the 11pm NoVa News seemed to be taped (10pm anchors and stories mentioned 10pm, whereas 11pm didn't mention a time) and had a slightly different feel. No promotion of the change except one reference of "for the last time" during the open, a reference to the new website near the end, and the same promo already posted run a few times. Everything else (promos during the newscast) still was referencing "WHAG News" and "Your4State.com". I can see them dropping the Pennsyvania coverage, since Comcast dropped/is dropping the station in PA (receivable OTA, but not in market)... (But Comcast doesn't' carry the station in DC Northern Virginia Suburbs...)

IMHO! The graphics need a little work - the WHAG/your4state.com rotating bug looks weird over no background, as do the Facebook/Twitter/other social media links,

I can see them going for full market coverage - the weather included down to Woodbridge, and stories included Fairfax and Springfield as well as the Winchester area.

Jim

• Like 1

Burger King's new TV system is using clips from CBS. This means that while you're hungry they will have stuff from 60 Minutes and CBS clips and promos. I wonder if they could have just used CBSN?

Burger King's new TV system is using clips from CBS. This means that while you're hungry they will have stuff from 60 Minutes and CBS clips and promos. I wonder if they could have just used CBSN?

They want to promote CBS...not CBSN.

The prime demo for TV is the same for fast food.

Male 25-54

• Like 2

I drove up from Arlington to Hagerstown to record the last newscast on WHAG. It appeared that the 10pm was live, but the 11pm NoVa News seemed to be taped (10pm anchors and stories mentioned 10pm, whereas 11pm didn't mention a time) and had a slightly different feel. No promotion of the change except one reference of "for the last time" during the open, a reference to the new website near the end, and the same promo already posted run a few times. Everything else (promos during the newscast) still was referencing "WHAG News" and "Your4State.com". I can see them dropping the Pennsyvania coverage, since Comcast dropped/is dropping the station in PA (receivable OTA, but not in market)... (But Comcast doesn't' carry the station in DC Northern Virginia Suburbs...)

IMHO! The graphics need a little work - the WHAG/your4state.com rotating bug looks weird over no background, as do the Facebook/Twitter/other social media links,

I can see them going for full market coverage - the weather included down to Woodbridge, and stories included Fairfax and Springfield as well as the Winchester area.

Jim

why is comcast dropping them in PA?

• Like 1

Jim

The NoVA News airs at live at 7, I think the 11pm is a rerun.

I remember Einstein Bros Bagels used to have something similar. Some of them would have a TV with a mix of weather, stock quotes, headlines from CBS News' website, horoscopes and who knows what other random stuff they found. I don't remember there being video, but maybe there was. This was back in the Katie Couric era. I'm not sure if they still do it — I've been on the west coast for too long, where we get Noah's instead of Einstein's.

I remember Einstein Bros Bagels used to have something similar. Some of them would have a TV with a mix of weather, stock quotes, headlines from CBS News' website, horoscopes and who knows what other random stuff they found. I don't remember there being video, but maybe there was. This was back in the Katie Couric era. I'm not sure if they still do it — I've been on the west coast for too long, where we get Noah's instead of Einstein's.

they probably still do it with scott pelley. i know certain 7-Eleven locations used to have a system with weather while promoting NBC and NBC news with clips from the show Extra which i believe Gas stations do still. some gas stations uses CNN while you pump gas.

Jim

I hope they launch here in loudoun Comcast soon! Comcast here is weird as it is segmented unlike Fios which generally covers a DMA. For instance, there is comcast of reston (which has WDVM) and there is loudoun county Comcast (which does not carry it as of yet). Kind of backwards if you ask me as loudoun houses some of the key NOVA demo they are reaching out to...

• Like 1

A local gas station is playing clips from MSNBC. I would have thought they were aiming at the Tesla charging station market.

Ok...

My Arco AM-PM had MSNBC...now it's CNN as of just recently. I used to see the 3rd string MSNBC anchor for a 15 second news update...then a Tonight Show clip...a promo...some thing for talkstoop...and then repeat the whole thing every 1-/12 minutes. It was somewhat tolerable.

Now I'm stared down by Wolfie Blitzer for the 3-4 minutes it takes to fill a 23 gallon tank, and sometimes the volume is set real LOUD!

Updated 7-5-17 The whole operation is run by GSTV....Gas Station TV. They also run a quick ESPN SC update...and a HLN Morning Express hit during the weekdays.

All in the time it takes to fill the average 15 gallon tank.

I hope they launch here in loudoun Comcast soon! Comcast here is weird as it is segmented unlike Fios which generally covers a DMA. For instance, there is comcast of reston (which has WDVM) and there is loudoun county Comcast (which does not carry it as of yet). Kind of backwards if you ask me as loudoun houses some of the key NOVA demo they are reaching out to...

Check your lineup...

I was at work today and was playing TV Channel roulette in the break room and saw Channel 811 was listed as H+I and had "WHAG News" at 5pm. I cut out of work a few minutes early and headed home and yup, WDVM is now on 811. Not sure where HSN is now... My PC still says the channel is HSN, but the programming is WDVM.

In one of the leadins during the 5pm newscast, the VO was "Covering Hagerstown, Frederick, Alexandria, and Winchester, you're watching WDVM News, your local news leader". Pushing the NoVa coverage... (Next leadin had Hagerstown, Martinsburg, Leesburg, and Silver Spring)

It'll be interesting to see how they promote in as well as cover the local area...

5pm - Regional News

5:30pm - West Virginia Tonight

6:00pm - Local (Hagerstown/WV Panhandle) news

7:00pm - Northern Virginia News

7:30pm - I-270 News (Frederick/Monthgomery counties)

Also, the FCC database has been updated with the new call sign (yesterday - Sunday - it still had WHAG in the database)

Interesting...

• Like 1

Check your lineup...

I was at work today and was playing TV Channel roulette in the break room and saw Channel 811 was listed as H+I and had "WHAG News" at 5pm. I cut out of work a few minutes early and headed home and yup, WDVM is now on 811. Not sure where HSN is now... My PC still says the channel is HSN, but the programming is WDVM.

In one of the leadins during the 5pm newscast, the VO was "Covering Hagerstown, Frederick, Alexandria, and Winchester, you're watching WDVM News, your local news leader". Pushing the NoVa coverage... (Next leadin had Hagerstown, Martinsburg, Leesburg, and Silver Spring)

It'll be interesting to see how they promote in as well as cover the local area...

5pm - Regional News

Also, the FCC database has been updated with the new call sign (yesterday - Sunday - it still had WHAG in the database)

Interesting...

If not for the fact that the two big markets - Pittsburgh and Philadelphia - have no Nexstar presence and likely never will (Philly is all O&O's, Pittsburgh mostly stable companies), they might want to bring a statewide news there as well, and they'd need to find room for it too (4:00 or 4:30?).

Check your lineup...

5pm - Regional News

Interesting...

Where do you work/live bud? As of this posting, 811 is still HSN here in Ashburn (Loudoun County) .

• Like 1

Where do you work/live bud? As of this posting, 811 is still HSN here in Ashburn (Loudoun County) .

Arlington County. WDVM isn't on in the 1000s yet, but took over HSN on 811 and in SD (clipped) on 24. I figured Loudoun would have it before Arlington would...

It's listed as H+I in the guide (but there's also H+I on WDCA 20.2...)

Jim

One of the McDonald's here in Carmel, Indiana does the same thing.

• Like 5

Arlington County. WDVM isn't on in the 1000s yet, but took over HSN on 811 and in SD (clipped) on 24. I figured Loudoun would have it before Arlington would...

It's listed as H+I in the guide (but there's also H+I on WDCA 20.2...)

Jim

Yea this is weird haha. Well hopefully they add it soon!

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic