Out & About

TexasTVNews

Sarah Caldwell signed off as traffic and news anchor today at WBAL. She's staying in the region but got a job at the Institute of Notre Dame (a girls catholic prep school) as the Director of Development.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1573113192707003

Edit: Appears WBAL hasn't filled the traffic reporter and anchor position AND they are looking for a meteorologist. I don't know if they are looking to add to their weather team or if someone's leaning.

• Like 1

A KNBC-TV vehicle either overheated in the 100-degree weather, or got a bit too close to the action covering a wildfire. (Cue the old "Can you still give me a live shot? joke.)

DDMdH8xUIAEKmm2.jpg

It was a fine van that had many friends. It will be missed by many in Southern California.

• Like 5

Guest Former Member 207
A KNBC-TV vehicle either overheated in the 100-degree weather, or got a bit too close to the action covering a wildfire. (Cue the old "Can you still give me a live shot? joke.)

DDMdH8xUIAEKmm2.jpg

Not the first time KNBC was involved this type of incident...in 2003, Chuck Henry was covering another brush fire in the San Bernardino Mountains, and he and his camera crew almost got swallowed up by the flames, as the winds changed direction. Obviously, Henry and his crew survived, but the news van was damn near burned to a crisp

MVC-097F.JPG

• Like 5

Alex Stone, ABC Radio News L.A. Bureau reporter voiced a TV package for the network feed over the weekend. No standup included, however it looks like some producer just had him track a straight package on the western fires directly off his radio script.

I would guess if the union had an issue with this then we would hear from them...otherwise a good solid piece from Stone.

Hope he gets more TV time in addition to his youtube and ABC radio stuff..

Video courtesy of WHAG's Facebook wall.

Doesn't look like the graphics and set will change. Just the new logo. And it sounds like Inergy theme music on the promo.

Looked that the FCC callsign reservation query, and Nexstar filed to reserve the call sign WDVM-TV back on 5/17.

So exactly one year after dropping NBC, they're now getting brand new calls. Interesting.

Also no more Your4State. Their new url will be LocalDVM.com (whenever it launches).

Doesn't look like the graphics and set will change. Just the new logo. And it sounds like Inergy theme music on the promo.

Looked that the FCC callsign reservation query, and Nexstar filed to reserve the call sign WDVM-TV back on 5/17.

So exactly one year after dropping NBC, they're now getting brand new calls. Interesting.

Also no more Your4State. Their new url will be LocalDVM.com (whenever it launches).

I'm in the DC market so I sent an email to the GM and got the attached response. It appears they have Coverage on Fios in all of the DC suburbs and portions of the area on Comcast.

IMG_1919.thumb.jpg.02a472e3290cb40757e149349109eed0.jpg

• Like 1

It would be very ironic if WHAG...er...WDVM uses "must carry" to get themselves carried on cable, since Nexstar invented the game of shaking down cable providers for retransmission money. Since they're a non-factor in most of the DMA now, they have no value...yet.

Even more ironic if Tegna is a takeover target for Nexstar, as FTVLive had rumored before. The former WDVM (WUSA) would gain a sister station with their former calls.

So apparently WMAR Chief Meteorologist Wyatt Everhart isn't on air anymore. His Twitter bio lists him as a show host / media consultant at WMAR while their website still lists him as Chief Meteorologist. This leaves WMAR with three meteorologists Mike Taylor at night and Lynette Charles in AM (also listed online as Chief Meteorologist) and Adrienne Green. I noticed this when I saw a weather promo featuring only Mike and Lynette.

It would be very ironic if WHAG...er...WDVM uses "must carry" to get themselves carried on cable, since Nexstar invented the game of shaking down cable providers for retransmission money. Since they're a non-factor in most of the DMA now, they have no value...yet.

The issue isn't how they get carried, it is the game plan to get carried in areas they don't have carriage in or on platforms they aren't carried on. I think the rebrand will help especially if they're finally getting Comcast in Montgomery and Loudoun counties on board.

If they had must carry, everyone would've given in as soon as they ditched NBC. Witness how everyone carries WMDE without question.

It sounds like they might switch to Evolution, or its a special version of Canvas

It's going to take a while to get used to a Nexstar that's finally been convinced 'call letters in a web address without some hokey 34-letter branding aren't terrible'.

• Like 3

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic