Out & About

TexasTVNews

Was watching WRC yesterday and noticed Chris Lawrence was anchoring at midday, but Leon Harris was anchoring at 4pm (which he has done on other days). I didn't think anything of it until I went to read their bios and saw that Leon Harris is listed as the anchor of News 4 at 4. Chris's bio lists him as an anchor and as reporting from the Live Desk. When did this happen, and how did nobody notice? Even Dave Hughes over at DCRTV hasn't commented. He also missed the fact that Barbara Harrison was missing from the midday show for weeks. She has transitioned to a special assignments reporter, but coincidentally co-anchored the midday news today for the first time since she went missing months ago (appears she is here today because it is Tom Kierein's last day - Pat Collins and Bob Ryan also made guest appearances, as well as Joe Krebs via the phone - did not know that Pat Lawson-Muse started on the midday show with Barbara and Tom).

Even Dave Hughes over at DCRTV hasn't commented

Well Dave moved to Rehoboth so he's not on the up and up of DC TV as he used to be. Almost impossible to get a signal of any NBC affiliate besides LP WRDE. As for cable in the past it was a three way race for which NBC you got WBAL, WRC or WCAU.

• Like 3

i think we all knew this was the worst kept secret in boston

hopefully nbc ask's for the phil and jc promos from wcvb lol

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/21/boston-anchor-resurfaces-across-the-street

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/longtime-boston-reporter-takes-anchor-job-at-competing-station/191425

As an aside, NBC Boston now geoblocks its live news streams outside of the metro.

Was watching WRC yesterday and noticed Chris Lawrence was anchoring at midday, but Leon Harris was anchoring at 4pm (which he has done on other days). I didn't think anything of it until I went to read their bios and saw that Leon Harris is listed as the anchor of News 4 at 4. Chris's bio lists him as an anchor and as reporting from the Live Desk. When did this happen, and how did nobody notice? Even Dave Hughes over at DCRTV hasn't commented. He also missed the fact that Barbara Harrison was missing from the midday show for weeks. She has transitioned to a special assignments reporter, but coincidentally co-anchored the midday news today for the first time since she went missing months ago (appears she is here today because it is Tom Kierein's last day - Pat Collins and Bob Ryan also made guest appearances, as well as Joe Krebs via the phone - did not know that Pat Lawson-Muse started on the midday show with Barbara and Tom).

Pat Lawson-Muse is not anchoring the 4pm? I always think WRC has been making slow changes, and it does seem they're setting the stage with the next generation. There's anchor bench on Channel 4 where they have many iconic anchors.

Looking at the repack map on RabbitEars, a move of WUNI to the CBS Tower could be possible. The only stations that WUNI could possibly interfere with are NHPTV's WEKW (moving to 18) and WBZ (moving to 20). In fact, it might actually be a better arrangement than WUNI remaining at its current site because it would be co-located with WBZ, virtually eliminating the interference between them, and it would reduce the interference between WUNI and WEKW because it would be moving farther away from them. The closest channel 19 station would be Ion's WYPX in Albany, which wouldn't even come close to interfering with WUNI. Even then, the coverage map for WUNI on RabbitEars shows strong coverage into Boston (although a weaker signal south of Boston).

Looks like it would work fine. Those adjacent channels coexist now as WGBH (19) and WCVB (20) - both on the CBS tower. WUTF could move to Needham, too, but there is not much to be gained. WBTS / NBCU must have a deal with one of them.

As an aside, NBC Boston now geoblocks its live news streams outside of the metro.

I have to ask. What is the point of geoblocking an entire local newscast? Is it because it's tied to a stream of the station's entire programming (in which case it makes sense)? Is there some segment (sports, for instance) to which they only hold the rights in Boston?

That shit blows!

It would be really sad if all stations did this.

It wouldn't surprise me if that happened. On the NBC Boston stream you have to authenticate with your cable provider in order to watch, so Raymie might be right that it's tied to the overall programming.

So it's

Calkins for real this time. They're now selling its remaining newspapers.

• GateHouse Media (which already own a slew of papers across the county) will acquire the Bucks County Courier Times, The Intelligencer in Doylestown, PA, the Burlington County Times, the Beaver County Times, the Ellwood City Ledger and Calkins Digital.
  • Ogden Newspapers will acquire the Uniontown Herald-Standard, the Greene County Messenger and SWC Properties.

The terms of these deals weren't disclosed. And it's expected to be finalized on June 30th.

I have to ask. What is the point of geoblocking an entire local newscast? Is it because it's tied to a stream of the station's entire programming (in which case it makes sense)? Is there some segment (sports, for instance) to which they only hold the rights in Boston?[/QUOTE]

Most stations in that case block the online stream for all viewers with a slide saying something like "due to rights restrictions, we are unable to stream the sports segment.

Pat Lawson-Muse is not anchoring the 4pm? I always think WRC has been making slow changes, and it does seem they're setting the stage with the next generation. There's anchor bench on Channel 4 where they have many iconic anchors.

Never said anywhere in my post that Pat Lawson-Muse was not anchoring the 4pm.

• Like 4

Most stations in that case block the online stream for all viewers with a slide saying something like "due to rights restrictions, we are unable to stream the sports segment.

Yeah, that's typical. I guess the geoblocking is for the stream of the station's programming, which makes sense as that's a whole other can of worms.

• Like 1

I'm watching the live streaming of their AM news, and its not geoblocked.

Okay, I think I've figured out what is happening. The direct link posted by CircleSeven works in my locality, but when attempting to access live newscasts via NBC Boston's homepage there's a key next to the link and when the link is clicked you are redirected to a page with a prompt to authenticate. Perhaps - and this is just a theory - NBC has disabled front page links to their live newscasts in non-O&O markets.

837436519_nbcbostonfrontpagescreenshot6-22-17.thumb.jpg.77c16f733f2ab8298f91e616e67d3189.jpg

1736419011_nbcbostonlivepagescreenshot6-22-17.thumb.jpg.3a2257fb1fdcc9975233054ad01e78cf.jpg

The reason it's blocked is because LIVE TV is only available to in-market cable subscribers. Basically it's the desktop version of the NBC Everywhere platform.

There should still be a separate link for live-streaming of their newscasts. It might be hard to find, depending on how the NBC O&O handles their webpage. Often times you'll see a banner on the main page that says Watch Live: NBC XX News at XX O'clock.

• Like 2

The reason it's blocked is because LIVE TV is only available to in-market cable subscribers. Basically it's the desktop version of the NBC Everywhere platform.

There should still be a separate link for live-streaming of their newscasts. It might be hard to find, depending on how the NBC O&O handles their webpage. Often times you'll see a banner on the main page that says Watch Live: NBC XX News at XX O'clock.

The link to the newscast went missing for months now. The other O&Os still post the live link when it is time for each newscast but NBC Boston has been lacking in that department. It started out as weekends I couldnt watch and now weekdays is included it.

1498165942009-402091249.thumb.jpg.5db2d3e7b25b560102d27b66a2f6b0a7.jpg

• Like 4

I've found the watch live link (which is not location dependent) during newscasts to be especially wonky and temperamental on NBC O&O pages and apps. It doesn't always appear at news time. Sometimes it might not pop up until 5-15 minutes in. Sometimes it doesn't appear at all. Sometimes it's on the web page but not the app, or vice-versa. It's happened (or not happened) when I try to watch WNBC, KNBC, WMAQ, NBC Boston and WTVJ. Could be a cache problem, a scheduling glitch or pixies.

I had my bets on Brad Spakowitz becoming chief meteorologist at WBAY following George Graphos' retirement.....but morning meteorologist Steve Beylon has gotten the big promotion. Interestingly, he'll remain on the morning show, with Spakowitz handling the evening shows.

Legendary WNBC 4 and NYC Reporter Gabe Pressman has passed away.

[MEDIA=instagram]BVrsq1gg4Zi[/MEDIA]

Gabe was a fine man with a wonderful family, and many friends. He was a great reporter and will be missed.

...and that picture is awesome.

(looks like an Ampex 300 1/4 inch audio tape recorder with a mult-iline phone patch inside an NBC audio room...and a real RCA union trained audio engineer.)

• Like 3

Status Quo, Status Quo.

Just like that, WGCL's News Director Frank Volpicella is OUT after only eleven months.

Continuing with this wholesale cleaning.......

Chief Meteorologist Jim Kosek is OUT.

Also, a noon producer, a news administrator, a managing editor, and an operations manager & chief engineer was also fired.

• Like 5

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic