Out & About

TexasTVNews

The other question: why would Ion want to sell WBPX to anyone? They operate it at the bare bones (even more so if corrupt Altji Paid Off does away with the main studio rule) and have to be profitable.

Has ION ever turned a profit? They lost $23.3 million in the last quarter alone.

The other question: why would Ion want to sell WBPX to anyone? They operate it at the bare bones (even more so if corrupt Altji Paid Off does away with the main studio rule) and have to be profitable.

Maybe it would fetch them some money that they could be in need of but to ABC? Nah. You probably already know this but there were many rumors that NBC was trying to get it in 2006 to replace WHDH which was right around the time Ansin created the 7/56 duo. The most I could see between ABC and Ion is a hyothetical alliance (I know, really out there). But thats not happening.

• Like 5

I'm not so sure about FTVLive. He should know better than to attribute NBC Montana's ownership (and editorial judgment) to Sinclair (ownership change is pending, but Bonten still owns and operates the station.) Even the Huffpost article that started the feeding frenzy eventually appended a clarification that Sinclair hasn't taken over.

Add New York Magazine to the list of misinformed sources...

It's shoddy reporting like this that ENCOURAGES Sinclair that they are being unfairly targeted. In this case, they are.

Any ammunition they can state as fact only makes their spreading of other falsehoods that much worse.

• Like 2

Have WDPX channel share with someone in town and cash out WBPX. Double the money grab.

• Like 1

It's shoddy reporting like this that ENCOURAGES Sinclair that they are being unfairly targeted. In this case, they are.

Any ammunition they can state as fact only makes their spreading of other falsehoods that much worse.

We all hate these people as much as anybody and, as seen in recent days, everyone has had their time (and some WAY longer than necessary) on the soapbox to rant about what the FCC will and will not allow them to do and how horrible they are etc. I'll admit I had my moments. But at the same time, they shouldn't be targeted like this (and no doubt due to their stances on some things.). It just helps them look like the ones being bullied. I hate to play devil's advocate here but it's the truth.

There had been rumors but this evening WREG's Richard Ransom appeared to confirm on Twitter that he has left the station effectively immediately. No reason given (but probably could make some educated speculation)

• Like 4

Wow. I liked Scott, but somehow I feel his style is more suited for 60 Minutes than the CBS Evening News.

As for a replacement, I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Glor is at the top of the list. It gives them a fresh, younger look (he would be the youngest network news anchor at 41, two years younger than David Muir) and could help them gain more ground in the 25-54 demo.

• Like 1

Jeff Glor came to mind as soon as I saw the news

Wow. I liked Scott, but somehow I feel his style is more suited for 60 Minutes than the CBS Evening News.

As for a replacement, I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Glor is at the top of the list. It gives them a fresh, younger look (he would be the youngest network news anchor at 41, two years younger than David Muir) and could help them gain more ground in the 25-54 demo.

• Like 2

Sinclair would play the victim regardless of how the story was reported. I'm not defending the coverage here, but they would whine if these stories were impeccably handled, decrying them in chain-wide must-carry "editorials" as "FAKE NEWS!"

Look at the broad-based reaction to Gabriel Sherman's coverage of Fox News as a precursor to any critical coverage of Sinclair. If you're a Republican, you'll blindly support Sinclair to the ends of the earth, without question. If you're a Democrat, you want Sinclair knocked down to size, if not run out of business. It's pretty cut-and-dry here.

• Like 4

I'm not so sure about FTVLive. He should know better than to attribute NBC Montana's ownership (and editorial judgment) to Sinclair (ownership change is pending, but Bonten still owns and operates the station.) Even the Huffpost article that started the feeding frenzy eventually appended a clarification that Sinclair hasn't taken over.

Sinclair may not own it yet but it's entirely likely that the management was sucking up to the new bosses here. Just because they haven't officially taken over yet doesn't mean station management isn't in communication with their new overlords.

• Like 4

There had been rumors but this evening WREG's Richard Ransom appeared to confirm on Twitter that he has left the station effectively immediately. No reason given (but probably could make some educated speculation)

Doubt it has anything to do with Tribune's pending sale to Sinclair, so it was likely for personal reasons that he didn't want to disclose at this time.

• Like 1

Sinclair may not own it yet but it's entirely likely that the management was sucking up to the new bosses here. Just because they haven't officially taken over yet doesn't mean station management isn't in communication with their new overlords.

Extremely likely. Bonten's editorial views are not that different from Sinclair's editorial views.

• Like 2

WTLV fined for using EAS tones in a station promotion for multiple days. Featuring FTVLive, here's the link Scott Jones provided. http://jacksonville.com/metro/business/2017-05-30/jacksonville-s-wtlv-tv-12-owner-fined-use-emergency-alert-tones-jaguars

After watching the promo, wow. How stupid could you be to think this was a good idea?

• Like 3

yes, it is poor Sinclair that the victim of a hit job. It's not hiring Trump surrogates to be commentators that's hurting Sinclair's reputation at all (one of them under FBI investigation mind you)

yes, it is poor Sinclair that the victim of a hit job. It's not hiring Trump surrogates to be commentators that's hurting Sinclair's reputation at all (one of them under FBI investigation mind you)

One of Sinclair's newest commentators, Trump associate Boris Epshteyn is the recipient of subpoenas and investigations over the relationship with Russians. hmmmmm.

Tonight will be the final First Forecast for WWJ-TV chief meteorologist Jim Madaus. He is retiring after 33 years in Detroit television.

He may have worked for a joke of a station, but he is without a doubt one of the best in the business. Wishing Jim all the best in retirement.

• Like 3

Another new affiliation launch is about to launch in just a few hours.

WSOC is launching Telemundo Charlotte @ 6am this morning on subchannel 9.2.

Laff moves to WAXN 64.4.

With so many stations, how are their newscasts structured?

Here's a channel & newscast lineup.

The 5, 6 & 10pm are simulcasted on NBC/CBS, while the 5:30 & 9pm airs on Fox.

The morning show is simulcasted on all three from 5:30-7am, then its Fox exclusively from 7-8am.

Weekends, its 5 & 10pm on NBC/CBS and 9pm on Fox.

[quote="WSVNFan, post: 181639, member: 2856"

No one noticed here but WHTV (Lansing) has finally shut down. It's the first television station in the country to shut down as a result of the recent FCC Spectrum Auction.

No one noticed here but WHTV (Lansing) has finally shut down. It's the first television station in the country to shut down as a result of the recent FCC Spectrum Auction.

Nobody had a little party for them???

Now I feel sad.:(