Out & About

TexasTVNews

That one doesn't pass the smell test. I can't see how ABC will uproot one of their top affiliates - and one of their top company groups - for such. The repercussions could be enormous there. The only way I can see WCVB become an O&O is either by Hearst buying ABC as a whole from Disney, or by a trade with (at least) WTVD and KFSN. As for just gutting WCVB, do they want to make Hearst really mad in their largest market?

Not to mention Disney/Hearst have a partnership with A&E Networks and ESPN, which would be rocky if ABC pulls the same stunt in Boston.

• Like 4

Out: KOTV6/Tulsa--Scott Thompson

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/25/gone-in-tulsa

From Newsblues 5.25.17

ANOTHER BOSTON POWER PLAY?

wbpx-hq-185.jpg

An anonymous tipster reports that Ion Media has agreed to sellWBPX-32 in Boston (Market #9) to the ABC Owned Television Stations Group in a deal that could lead to Hearst's WCVB-5-ABC in Boston, and Hearst's WMUR-9-ABC in Manchester, NH, eventually losing their ABC affiliation.

WBPX is simulcast on two full-power satellites: WPXG-TV(virtual channel 21, digital channel 33) in Concord, New Hampshire and WDPX-TV (virtual channel 58, digital channel 40) in Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts; and two low-power translator stations: WMPX-LP (channel 33) and W40BO in Boston.

WDPX, the Martha's Vineyard-based repeater of WBPX, was sold at the recent FCC auction for $43.5 million.

abc.jpg

According to the tipster, ABC hopes to take over the Ion stations in September. "ABC is expected to sign a purchase agreement for a studio/office complex in suburban Boston within a day or two and will immediately start work to convert it into offices, a newsroom/studio, and a second studio for other local programs and commercials, as well as hiring a full staff, including a news staff of 80-90 persons."

If true, the ABC scenario would echo NBC's recent power play in Boston in which Sunbeam's WHDH-7 was stripped of its network affiliation. We have been unable to confirm the anonymous report.

Here we go, all over again.

That one doesn't pass the smell test. I can't see how ABC will uproot one of their top affiliates - and one of their top company groups - for such. The repercussions could be enormous there. The only way I can see WCVB become an O&O is either by Hearst buying ABC as a whole from Disney, or by a trade with (at least) WTVD and KFSN. As for just gutting WCVB, do they want to make Hearst really mad in their largest market?

WCVB can survive without ABC. The question is if ABC could theoretically survive without WCVB/WMUR.

• Like 1

Do they care? They'd be getting the retrans without having to split it with a middleman.

That being said, I don't believe this unless something confirms this surfaces elsewhere. Not sure why they would go for Boston over DFW or DC, unless ESPN somehow plays a role.

Pretty surprising news about Scott, though Craig Day is a good choice, he and Terry Hood already anchor the 9pm news together. He says he's staying in town, which makes me wonder if he'll call it a career or pop up at Cox, Scripps or Sinclair.

• Like 5

From Newsblues 5.25.17

ANOTHER BOSTON POWER PLAY?

wbpx-hq-185.jpg

An anonymous tipster reports that Ion Media has agreed to sellWBPX-32 in Boston (Market #9) to the ABC Owned Television Stations Group in a deal that could lead to Hearst's WCVB-5-ABC in Boston, and Hearst's WMUR-9-ABC in Manchester, NH, eventually losing their ABC affiliation.

WBPX is simulcast on two full-power satellites: WPXG-TV(virtual channel 21, digital channel 33) in Concord, New Hampshire and WDPX-TV (virtual channel 58, digital channel 40) in Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts; and two low-power translator stations: WMPX-LP (channel 33) and W40BO in Boston.

WDPX, the Martha's Vineyard-based repeater of WBPX, was sold at the recent FCC auction for $43.5 million.

abc.jpg

According to the tipster, ABC hopes to take over the Ion stations in September. "ABC is expected to sign a purchase agreement for a studio/office complex in suburban Boston within a day or two and will immediately start work to convert it into offices, a newsroom/studio, and a second studio for other local programs and commercials, as well as hiring a full staff, including a news staff of 80-90 persons."

If true, the ABC scenario would echo NBC's recent power play in Boston in which Sunbeam's WHDH-7 was stripped of its network affiliation. We have been unable to confirm the anonymous report.

• Like 2

[quote name='newsbot']Derrick Santos at New England One says the ABC O&O story is bogus. He's a far more trustworthy source of Boston media info. Can't believe that Newsblues went with this unsubstantiated nonsense.[/QUOTE] I don't even read Newsblues and trust NE1 more because I actually read that website on a continuing basis. So @NewEnglandOne has more trust on this than any other and besides, WCVB/WMUR would be REALLY stupid to give up their ABC affiliations.
  • Like 4

Derrick Santos at New England One says the ABC O&O story is bogus. He's a far more trustworthy source of Boston media info. Can't believe that Newsblues went with this unsubstantiated nonsense.

I knew something about that headline didn't pass the smell test. The day ABC/Disney decides to buy more TV stations (which they won't for reasons that have been repeated over and over again in this forum) is the day broadcast television becomes obsolete.

• Like 4

I knew something about that headline didn't pass the smell test. The day ABC/Disney decides to buy more TV stations (which they won't for reasons that have been repeated over and over again in this forum) is the day broadcast television becomes obsolete.

Heck, FTVLive is more reliable!

• Like 3

Sorry to double post here but... I'm surprised that nobody talked about this today.

Lafayette, IN will finally complete the "BIG Four" circle when it gets its own ABC affiliate, WPBY 49 (station) / ABC 49 (general branding), starting July 1st.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/lafayette-ind-gets-its-own-abc-affiliate/166108

Sorry to double post here but... I'm surprised that nobody talked about this today.

Lafayette, IN will finally complete the "BIG Four" circle when it gets its own ABC affiliate, WPBY 49 (station) / ABC 49 (general branding), starting July 1st.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/lafayette-ind-gets-its-own-abc-affiliate/166108

They're the same folks that lit-up the NBC & Fox affils there as well.

Maybe NewsBlues got their A's mixed up and mean an N.

It doesn't make sense to piss off your stronger affiliate group and a partner in TWO joint ventures (ESPN & A&E). Unless of course Hearst is leaving the JV. But for both they seem to be the silent partner and watch the cash come in.

• Like 1

She'll be doing real estate segments on KPRC's weekend morning shows.

Out of all people, why would they want to pick her to replace Tamica? I guess it's alright to put an annoying bimbo on to get viewers right? I'm hoping they'll find a true replacement soon.

Tegna is blowing up the WWL morning team. First it was Buchtel, then Hoss and now Tamica. I wouldn't be surprised if Paulsen and/or Sally-Ann be next out the door before its all over.

Oh, that day is coming...trust me.

I'm not seeing anything in the FCC database for a station in Lafayette, IN on channel 49.

FTVLive is probably the most credible site there is but New England One is not too far away from that. Both very good.

I'm not so sure about FTVLive. He should know better than to attribute NBC Montana's ownership (and editorial judgment) to Sinclair (ownership change is pending, but Bonten still owns and operates the station.) Even the Huffpost article that started the feeding frenzy eventually appended a clarification that Sinclair hasn't taken over.

• Like 2

WCVB/Boston anchor/Chronicle co-host JC Monahan has left the station. It was announced in February that she would not be renewing her contract. Since then Emily Reimer has assumed Monahan's previous duties at the anchor desk, and earlier this month it was announced that Shayna Seymour would take over as co-host of Chronicle. Monahan's next destination hasn't been announced, but she has tweeted that an announcement would be forthcoming on July 1. It is widely speculated that she will be joining fellow ex-5'er Phil Lipof at NBC Boston.

• Like 1

The other question: why would Ion want to sell WBPX to anyone? They operate it at the bare bones (even more so if corrupt Altji Paid Off does away with the main studio rule) and have to be profitable.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic