Out & About

TexasTVNews

I'd make them use their cell phones.

It's "Old fashion solutions...to old fashion problems."

Now how many stations have a few large print typewriters,ribbons , and 7-ply carbon ready for the next power outage?

How many reporters know how to use landline???

Rob is correct that you have to provide your talent and crew with the basic requirements for a full show remote.

Monitors with shades is kinda important..so is a proper IFB for situation.

At KBEX we do remotes with Solo cups and alligator clips....but we also pay our employees with Scratchers.

I sensed dual frustration with that email the anchors sent. I can understand what it's like to really NEED a few basic items only to be told there is no budget.

"Field producer"?

What the hell are them?

I get real cynical sometimes, but I can feel the pain for these folks. My greatest respect to Rob or the other producers cranking out a nightly bunch of shows in this God forsaken biz...with no signs of management support.

(have an exit strategy)

Hang in there, and keep up the good work.

I wish we had room for all of you here at KBEX.

• Like 2

Longtime St. Louis anchor, reporter John Auble dies

"In 2011, Auble was inducted into the St. Louis Media Halls of Fame for his contributions to television journalism. The Youngstown, Ohio, native was a Vietnam War veteran and the winner of seven Emmy awards. He previously worked as a reporter in Columbus, Ohio; New York City and in San Juan, Puerto Rico."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/longtime-st-louis-anchor-reporter-john-auble-dies/article_0b89af20-4c2c-5ad2-995c-b5479990a0be.html

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/16/pushed-out-in-denver

Ed Greene, the longest-serving weather forecaster in Denver, is being kicked to the curb at KCNC.

The Denver Post says that the station will not be renewing Greene’s contract as senior weather forecaster. Over the next six months, Lauren Whitney will be phased in to the evening newscasts in his place.

The move is not his decision, Greene said.

“I guess management is ‘going in a new direction?’ ” Greene said in a frank email. “I did not ask for ‘more time to spend with the grandkids’ (don’t have any, yet), or to spend more time at our home in Santa Fe (wife still busier than ever with her business … and we still have a student up at CU).”

Greene will become a part-time contributor at the station, doing fill-in work and representing the station at community events.

• Like 2

They've already been doing that for a while. It's a little odd, and there's little doubt the station is trying to phase out an old timer when the young blonde starts cutting into his airtime. Though Westword's article interestingly suggests that Ed bad mouting the station in the press may have been deliberately planned.

http://www.westword.com/news/how-ed-greenes-slow-retirement-from-cbs4-turned-ugly-9067657

But a station source tells Westword that what was portrayed by the Denver Post yesterday as a brusque dumping was actually a deliberate process negotiated over the course of a year with the full cooperation of Greene, whose evident displeasure over the plan left management feeling blindsided.

6 News, a local cable news operation in Lawrence, KS, will be shutting down its operations after 45 years. Minnesota cable company Midco is expanding their Midco Sports Network into the market and ending 6 News. Lawrence is technically in the Topeka DMA but receives signals from both Topeka and Kansas City, so both markets cover them equally. A very sad day indeed.

https://www.6lawrence.com/6lawrence/index.php/2017/05/16/midco-sn-expands-lawrence-6-news-operations-end/

• Like 3

6 News, a local cable news operation in Lawrence, KS, will be shutting down its operations after 45 years. Minnesota cable company Midco is expanding their Midco Sports Network into the market and ending 6 News. Lawrence is technically in the Topeka DMA but receives signals from both Topeka and Kansas City, so both markets cover them equally. A very sad day indeed.

https://www.6lawrence.com/6lawrence/index.php/2017/05/16/midco-sn-expands-lawrence-6-news-operations-end/

Lawrence is in the Kansas City DMA, even though it's slightly closer to Topeka. When I was a kid, the K.C. stations were crystal clear over the air, and the Topeka stations were not (broadcast pattern favored towns west/north of Topeka).

That's too bad, though. "6 News" was a recorded newscast for many years. Their first live broadcast was the 1988 K.U. National Championship parade.

• Like 1

That's a shame, hopefully someone will fill in the hole that 6NEWS left behind for the Lawrence area

Tracey Rogers VP/GM of WMC5/Memphis will head down the road for the same job at WKRN2/Nashville.

Betty Nguyen will move over to PIX11/NYC Morning News.

http://pix11.com/2017/05/16/betty-nguyen-joins-wpix-as-anchor-of-pix11-morning-news/

Newsblues.com has a new owner; Rick Iler former news director at KSHB, KARK and slew of other stations. Here's the article from newsblues.com

NewsBlues has a new owner.

Rick Iler, the former news director at Scripps-owned KSHB-41-NBC in Kansas City (Market #33), Nexstar's KARK-4-NBC in Little Rock (Market #57), Gannett's KCEN-6-NBC in Temple, TX (Market #87), and Nexstar's KSNF-16-NBC in Joplin, MO (Market #151), has acquired the legacy TV news insider website NewsBlues.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed (because it's none of your damn business), but I can tell you (and this is just between us) it was more than an 18-pack of Busch Light and less than a 2007 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano.

"This is really a dream come true for me," said Iler. "NewsBlues has been a staple of broadcast news for nearly 20 years and I have been reading it since the beginning. Having the opportunity to continue a great media broadcast tradition is an honor."

Iler says his vision for the future is to refresh the site while staying true to its iconic, subversive brand. "I am very excited for some of the changes people will see in the near future with NewsBlues. It will have some of the old mixed in with a new aggressive look, style and feel. I think people are going to love it."

beer-ferrari.jpg

For the immediate future, your Surly Editor® will continue to write and produce the daily newsletter through Friday, May 26, at which point Ilerand his staff will take over production. Initially, the website will remain pretty much the same...sort of a NewsBlues Lite. But, later this summer, the website's look and feel will change dramatically. There are big things ahead.

What does this mean for you? Your current NewsBlues membership will remain in place, and we will soon begin selling extended memberships again of 3-and-6 months. The valuable SourceBook will continue.

Mrs. B's Grammar Yammer will live on in re-runs.

Personally, I look forward to working with Rick and his crew and will continue in an advisory role for the foreseeable future. Good things are ahead. Stay tuned. (You can reach out to Iler at rick@newsblues.com.)

• Like 2

WKYC in Cleveland adds Matt Wintz as the station's new weekend evening meteorologist. He comes from WLTZ in Columbus, Georgia.

http://wkycdirectorscut.blogspot.com/2017/05/wkyc-adds-meteorologist-matt-wintz-to.html

WKYC has also made current reporter Andrew Horansky co-anchor on the Saturday evening newscasts with Hillary Golston. Chris Tye continues to anchor solo on Sunday nights.

WWL's traffic reporter Tamica Lee has bounced from the station and is the new co-host of WGNO's "News With A Twist". LisaMarie Luminais (ugh) is her replacement.

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2017/05/tamica_lee_wwl_wgno_05052017.html#incart_river_index

That's what I call a career-killing move to jump from the market's strongest station to a ratings joke...

• Like 1

Former KHOU morning anchor turned 4 pm features reporter Lily Jang is now hawking real estate:

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/former-houston-reporter-opens-real-estate-firm/188605

She'll be doing real estate segments on KPRC's weekend morning shows.

WWL's traffic reporter Tamica Lee has bounced from the station and is the new co-host of WGNO's "News With A Twist". LisaMarie Luminais (ugh) is her replacement.

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2017/05/tamica_lee_wwl_wgno_05052017.html#incart_river_index

Out of all people, why would they want to pick her to replace Tamica? I guess it's alright to put an annoying bimbo on to get viewers right? I'm hoping they'll find a true replacement soon.

Tegna is blowing up the WWL morning team. First it was Buchtel, then Hoss and now Tamica. I wouldn't be surprised if Paulsen and/or Sally-Ann be next out the door before its all over.

She'll be doing real estate segments on KPRC's weekend morning shows.

Out of all people, why would they want to pick her to replace Tamica? I guess it's alright to put an annoying bimbo on to get viewers right? I'm hoping they'll find a true replacement soon.

Tegna is blowing up the WWL morning team. First it was Buchtel, then Hoss and now Tamica. I wouldn't be surprised if Paulsen and/or Sally-Ann be next out the door before its all over.

Paulsen, Sally-Ann, and Meg Farris are about the last of the old-guard WWL (when Loyola owned them and J Michael Early and Phil Johnson had the station running at top form)

• Like 2

ABC O&Os are on a hiring freeze at the moment

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/21/exclusive-hiring-freeze-at-abc-oos

(sidenote: I really like that ABC/Mickey Mouse hybrid logo)

Follow up. A communications VP at ABC wrote an email stating that the info relating to a hiring freeze was not true. But according to Scott, he said that two people who were looking for work at two separate O&Os, management from both stations said that they can't make any hires until the fall.

Out: KOTV6/Tulsa--Scott Thompson

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/25/gone-in-tulsa

From Newsblues 5.25.17

ANOTHER BOSTON POWER PLAY?

wbpx-hq-185.jpg

An anonymous tipster reports that Ion Media has agreed to sellWBPX-32 in Boston (Market #9) to the ABC Owned Television Stations Group in a deal that could lead to Hearst's WCVB-5-ABC in Boston, and Hearst's WMUR-9-ABC in Manchester, NH, eventually losing their ABC affiliation.

WBPX is simulcast on two full-power satellites: WPXG-TV(virtual channel 21, digital channel 33) in Concord, New Hampshire and WDPX-TV (virtual channel 58, digital channel 40) in Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts; and two low-power translator stations: WMPX-LP (channel 33) and W40BO in Boston.

WDPX, the Martha's Vineyard-based repeater of WBPX, was sold at the recent FCC auction for $43.5 million.

abc.jpg

According to the tipster, ABC hopes to take over the Ion stations in September. "ABC is expected to sign a purchase agreement for a studio/office complex in suburban Boston within a day or two and will immediately start work to convert it into offices, a newsroom/studio, and a second studio for other local programs and commercials, as well as hiring a full staff, including a news staff of 80-90 persons."

If true, the ABC scenario would echo NBC's recent power play in Boston in which Sunbeam's WHDH-7 was stripped of its network affiliation. We have been unable to confirm the anonymous report.

Out: KOTV6/Tula--Scott Thompson

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/25/gone-in-tulsa

From Newsblues 5.25.17

ANOTHER BOSTON POWER PLAY?

wbpx-hq-185.jpg

An anonymous tipster reports that Ion Media has agreed to sellWBPX-32 in Boston (Market #9) to the ABC Owned Television Stations Group in a deal that could lead to Hearst's WCVB-5-ABC in Boston, and Hearst's WMUR-9-ABC in Manchester, NH, eventually losing their ABC affiliation.

WBPX is simulcast on two full-power satellites: WPXG-TV(virtual channel 21, digital channel 33) in Concord, New Hampshire and WDPX-TV (virtual channel 58, digital channel 40) in Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts; and two low-power translator stations: WMPX-LP (channel 33) and W40BO in Boston.

WDPX, the Martha's Vineyard-based repeater of WBPX, was sold at the recent FCC auction for $43.5 million.

abc.jpg

According to the tipster, ABC hopes to take over the Ion stations in September. "ABC is expected to sign a purchase agreement for a studio/office complex in suburban Boston within a day or two and will immediately start work to convert it into offices, a newsroom/studio, and a second studio for other local programs and commercials, as well as hiring a full staff, including a news staff of 80-90 persons."

If true, the ABC scenario would echo NBC's recent power play in Boston in which Sunbeam's WHDH-7 was stripped of its network affiliation. We have been unable to confirm the anonymous report.

Isn't WCVB one of ABC's highest rated affiliates? This would have made more sense for NBC. Nothing is confirmed here, so who knows how accuracy there is to this, at this point in time.

• Like 2

Isn't WCVB one of ABC's highest rated affiliates? This would have made more sense for NBC. Nothing is confirmed here, so who knows how accuracy there is to this, at this point in time.

That one doesn't pass the smell test. I can't see how ABC will uproot one of their top affiliates - and one of their top company groups - for such. The repercussions could be enormous there. The only way I can see WCVB become an O&O is either by Hearst buying ABC as a whole from Disney, or by a trade with (at least) WTVD and KFSN. As for just gutting WCVB, do they want to make Hearst really mad in their largest market?

• Like 6

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic