Out & About

TexasTVNews

CBS would go to WUPA as they own that station with the CW either going to a subchannel or to elsewhere.

WUPA would go to CBS and start a news department

WPCH would replace WUPA as a CW affiliate (given that Time Warner owns the other 50% of the CW)

WGCL would go Independent

IF that happens but I highly doubt it

trouble/drama at WGCL

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/9/troubled-times-at-merediths-atlanta-station

Meredith's complete lack of patience at WGCL is annoying. Just when it seems WGCL is showing some signs of life corporate decides to clean house. It doesn't help that (in my opinion) they are showing way too much news. There is no point for a station dead last in the market to air news a 4,5, and 6; especially when powerhouse WSB has news in those same timeslots. Also not helping things is the fact that WGCL's syndication lineup is garbage. 700 club at 9am; infomercial at 1pm; Inside Edition at 7pm; and Insider (soon to be cancelled) at 7:30pm, that's it. Why they don't move some programming (like Hot Bench and Crime Watch Daily) from WPCH to WGCL is beyond me.

I understand some of their concerns - there should be a prompter and an off air monitor at the minimum. They could have handled it much differently. As for things like the factoids or famous moments they talk about - they should do their research. I understand there are things that are expected to be prepared but they are the anchors of the show. This is an event they knew ahead of time and they should be brushing up on it. They should do their homework. It's not like they are being asked to do play by play. Hell if they can't be bothered they should download media guide or even Wikipedia which is filled with on facts.

• Like 2

trouble/drama at WGCL

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/9/troubled-times-at-merediths-atlanta-station

Meredith's complete lack of patience at WGCL is annoying. Just when it seems WGCL is showing some signs of life corporate decides to clean house. It doesn't help that (in my opinion) they are showing way too much news. There is no point for a station dead last in the market to air news a 4,5, and 6; especially when powerhouse WSB has news in those same timeslots. Also not helping things is the fact that WGCL's syndication lineup is garbage. 700 club at 9am; infomercial at 1pm; Inside Edition at 7pm; and Insider (soon to be cancelled) at 7:30pm, that's it. Why they don't move some programming (like Hot Bench and Crime Watch Daily) from WPCH to WGCL is beyond me.

As someone who has produced many live stadium/sports-related newscasts, it certainly seems like WGCL didn't plan much in advance. Preparation is key. I write as much as possible in advance, then throw it out the window when the anchors see things happening on location. We have meetings and test sessions with engineers to make sure IFBs, monitors and iPads work.

The anchors are right to be concerned, but they need to speak with management. Don't shame the newsroom.

By the way, we do most of our "live" shows without a field producer.

As someone who has produced many live stadium/sports-related newscasts, it certainly seems like WGCL didn't plan much in advance. Preparation is key. I write as much as possible in advance, then throw it out the window when the anchors see things happening on location. We have meetings and test sessions with engineers to make sure IFBs, monitors and iPads work.

The Brewers do a lot to help stations plan for their opening day coverage too; every single year since Miller Park opened (even the first year) they were all over the place making all the TV and radio people comfortable and set in wherever they're positioned and coordinating things (alumni appearances, sausage racers, 5am lighting of the field, scoreboard playouts). Most teams do the same in their markets, and I'm sure the Braves were doing the same since the ballpark opening needed to be perfect, especially when the Cobb County funding controversy and I-85 issues are still in the news. These two Norma Desmonds definitely overthought about everything involving their liveshot and maybe could have just had the ND send off an email to the Braves with a few questions. For the most part, Opening Day should definitely be ad-libbed for most of the time and it shouldn't be as canned as these anchors think it should be.

• Like 1

I kinda wish Hearst would buy Meredith and pull a WIAT. I have followed Swann over the years and he would be better off doing talk radio. Less complications.

I agree Hearst should buy Meredith. They seem like they fit like a perfect glove. I wanted Hearst to get Belo stations too. I can see WGCL/CBS46 being owned by CBS too.

I agree Hearst should buy Meredith. They seem like they fit like a perfect glove. I wanted Hearst to get Belo stations too. I can see WGCL/CBS46 being owned by CBS too.

I think Raycom might buy Meredith and revamp WGCL, but then I think "Atlanta 46".

• Like 2

The anchors are right to be concerned, but they need to speak with management. Don't shame the newsroom.

By the way, we do most of our "live" shows without a field producer.

And if the iPads didn't work what do you make the anchors use? Paper Scripts?

• Like 1

I think Raycom might buy Meredith and revamp WGCL, but then I think "Atlanta 46".

Please God, no more renaming the station brand identity. How many more times can this station changes its name? From CBS 46 to CBS Atlanta to CBS 46 and so on. Just leave it as CBS46.

Raycom & WGCL eh no maybe Raycom should see if it can get a Mobile, Ala station instead. I'm just sayin'.

• Like 3

And if the iPads didn't work what do you make the anchors use? Paper Scripts?

Yes. We have a portable printer too, in case someone needs to print in the field.

I'd make them use their cell phones.

WEWS in Cleveland has hired Katie Ussin as the new co-anchor of "Good Morning Cleveland." She starts in June, and comes from WDTN in Dayton.

http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2017/05/channel_5_hires_katie_ussin_as_new_morning_anchor.html#incart_river_index

She'll be paired with Terrence Lee, but no word on what Corrina Pysa's role will be after Ussin arrives. Pysa filled in after Jackie Fernandez was let go late last year.

Jamie Sullivan has been named co-anchor of the 4:30am newscast on WOIO in Cleveland. She'll be joined by Nichole Vrsansky at the anchor desk. Sullivan will also continue to handle traffic anchor duties for the rest of the morning newscast.

[

WUPA would go to CBS and start a news department

WPCH would replace WUPA as a CW affiliate (given that Time Warner owns the other 50% of the CW)

WGCL would go Independent

IF that happens but I highly doubt it

TWX already sold WPCH to Meredith.

• Like 1

Did Time Warner competely sell off WPCH? Last time I knew WPCH was operated under the LMA by Meredith

It was fully sold recently for $70 million (I think), probably in anticipation of the Time Warner-AT&T merger.

• Like 1

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic