Out & About

TexasTVNews

WXIA is launching a temporary 7pm newscast on sister station WATL. They are doing this in order to cash in on all the political ads for the special election for the 6th congressional district.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2017/05/03/11alive-adds-temporary-7-p-m-newscast-on-watl-tv-to-accommodate-ossoff-handel-political-ads/

First covered by me on my blog though I didn't specifically say it was temporary because I didn't know about that part at the time.

[MEDIA=twitter]859847713952870401[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

We shouldn't give ourselves that much credit. Both operations are in Gray's wheelhouse - small-market stations that are ratings-dominant.

Don't be so critical...

Here at KBEX, we often make multi-million dollar decisions based on what we read on TVNT.

• Like 5

Longtime WRC anchor Jim Vance announced his cancer diagnosis on tonight's 6pm newscast. He didn't elaborate on the type of cancer he had, but said that he vowed to continue anchoring the 6pm news "when he can", while doing treatment.

A couple of weeks ago, Jim Vance’s doctors told him he has cancer and needs treatment. On News4 at 6 Thursday, Vance said he insists on continuing to work with his partner, Doreen, when he can, spend time with his kids and his grandkids, and celebrate life with the people he loves.

Let's hope he can recover from this.

• Like 5

Longtime WRC anchor Jim Vance announced his cancer diagnosis on tonight's 6pm newscast. He didn't elaborate on the type of cancer he had, but said that he vowed to continue anchoring the 6pm news "when he can", while doing treatment.

Let's hope he can recover from this.

If he dies unexpectedly, that would be a big severe blow to D.C. television and to the industry as a whole. Jim is really beloved in this market.

• Like 1

When he announced that he had cancer, my heart sank. I am keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. Jim Vance has gone through a lot in his life and I know he will get through this.

• Like 5

Another cancer-related announcement, as WVEC weekend meteorologist Crystal Harper announced that she was diagnosed with Stage 2 Hodgkins lymphoma.

Thankfully, in her case the prognosis is good as far as beating this cancer.

• Like 1

Another cancer-related announcement, as WVEC weekend meteorologist Crystal Harper announced that she was diagnosed with Stage 2 Hodgkins lymphoma.

Thankfully, in her case the prognosis is good as far as beating this cancer.

That has got to be rough on her being so young and after moving into the market for the job just a year or so ago.

That has got to be rough on her being so young and after moving into the market for the job just a year or so ago.

What's rough is wanting to keep all this private...but you have no choice but to tell everyone because the second you disappear from the air, people will speculate and start emailing and calling the station.

Yeah...

Some are actual attention whores...even with cancer..

But most really prefer to keep this quiet however social media makes it worse sometimes.

• Like 5

What's rough is wanting to keep all this private...but you have no choice but to tell everyone because the second you disappear from the air, people will speculate and start emailing and calling the station.

Yeah...

Some are actual attention whores...even with cancer..

But most really prefer to keep this quiet however social media makes it worse sometimes.

I definitely agree. And I've followed her on Facebook for a while now, and she gets quite a few...shall we say "strange" comments every post, be it a personal post or a weather post...

• Like 1

trouble/drama at WGCL

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/9/troubled-times-at-merediths-atlanta-station

Meredith's complete lack of patience at WGCL is annoying. Just when it seems WGCL is showing some signs of life corporate decides to clean house. It doesn't help that (in my opinion) they are showing way too much news. There is no point for a station dead last in the market to air news a 4,5, and 6; especially when powerhouse WSB has news in those same timeslots. Also not helping things is the fact that WGCL's syndication lineup is garbage. 700 club at 9am; infomercial at 1pm; Inside Edition at 7pm; and Insider (soon to be cancelled) at 7:30pm, that's it. Why they don't move some programming (like Hot Bench and Crime Watch Daily) from WPCH to WGCL is beyond me.

trouble/drama at WGCL

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/5/9/troubled-times-at-merediths-atlanta-station

Meredith's complete lack of patience at WGCL is annoying. Just when it seems WGCL is showing some signs of life corporate decides to clean house. It doesn't help that (in my opinion) they are showing way too much news. There is no point for a station dead last in the market to air news a 4,5, and 6; especially when powerhouse WSB has news in those same timeslots. Also not helping things is the fact that WGCL's syndication lineup is garbage. 700 club at 9am; infomercial at 1pm; Inside Edition at 7pm; and Insider (soon to be cancelled) at 7:30pm, that's it. Why they don't move some programming (like Hot Bench and Crime Watch Daily) from WPCH to WGCL is beyond me.

Maybe it's time for CBS to intervene?

• Like 1

trouble/drama at WGCL

"Too much money is being spent on consultants, talent coaches, "big names" with no return," said a Meredith insider to FTVLive.

Well there's part of the problem.

• Like 1

trouble/drama at WGCL

Remember WGCL struggle during the early few years when it switch to CBS. However, it only had a few newscast while the other (3) shops had a more established newscast. When Meredith bought the station from Tribune that when it start beefing up staff with more local news, but during early 2000s they canceled the morning, noon & 5pm news, but they started a 4 pm news while nobody else had one.

Since, Oprah retired and move to cable WSB and many other stations looked at keeping the money in-house instead of spending it on syndicated programs. If CBS is interested in CBS46 I say go for it.

However, CBS46 news has improved and it not ratings hit, but their news coverage is sometimes better than WAGA & WXIA at times.

trouble/drama at WGCL

WGCL should've gotten rid of Swann when they had the chance. That has made the station even more of a laughing stock. Plus, that article has mentioned of how planned afternoon/evening coverage was scrapped after the weeknight anchors sent an e-mail.

• Like 1

Speaking of Raycom cuts:

FTVLive is reporting that WMC will not be renewing its contract for its chopper and its use will end after January 1. That will leave the Memphis market without a helicopter, and WMC without a chopper for the first time in nearly 20 years. WHBQ employs a drone, and the report indicates WMC will be working with Raycom to test drone coverage as well.

Looks like WMC has just debuted their new "First Alert Drone 5."

WGCL should've gotten rid of Swann when they had the chance. That has made the station even more of a laughing stock. Plus, that article has mentioned of how planned afternoon/evening coverage was scrapped after the weeknight anchors sent an e-mail.

I kinda wish Hearst would buy Meredith and pull a WIAT. I have followed Swann over the years and he would be better off doing talk radio. Less complications.

• Like 4

I kinda wish Hearst would buy Meredith and pull a WIAT. I have followed Swann over the years and he would be better off doing talk radio. Less complications.

I agree although the only conflicts for a Hearst-Meredith merger would be in Greenville/Spartanburg and at least 1 or 2 other markets where both Hearst and Meredith own a station

• Like 1

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic