Out & About

TexasTVNews

On the contrary, in this era of centralcasting standby slides have never been so needed!

Hell yes...

And in the day it was uber-cool to have a custom slide...made just for you.

Please feel free to post your favs.

technical_difficulties.jpg.5d517f19f95d0d9dbb985efef04bb19d.jpg

• Like 2

Here a story for you tv newshounds.

From Newsblues 4.11.2017

http://www.gossipextra.com/2017/04/10/cbs4-cameraman-sues-race-religious-discrimination-jim-defede-fat-6935/

Wilfred Ardley (aka Muhamad Hassan) a news photog for 26 years at CBS-owned WFOR-4 in Miami (Market #16), has sued the station for religious, racial, and age discrimination.

Ardley/Hassan, 57, who is a Black Muslim, claims he was demoted for calling veteran reporter Jim DeFede "fat" and for making him look "big on camera," according to Gossip Extra. DeFede weighs close to 400 pounds.

Ardley, a former Florida A&M football player, claims he has suffered from a pattern of discrimination which has caused "stress" and "emotion discomfort."

He says one of his colleagues once asked, "What's wrong with your people?" when Muslims were in the news. Ardley claims he was also asked if he was going to "shoot up the place."

<<<>>>

• Like 1

Lot of new faces popping up on-air at the Hampton Roads "big 3" stations (14 in all; half of those at WTKR).

Among the others; Phillip Townsend has returned to WVEC (where he worked until leaving for WFAA in 2014) as a weekend anchor

http://pilotonline.com/entertainment/tv/larry-bonko/new-faces-are-popping-up-on-hampton-roads-tv-news/article_7aec7302-4574-5406-a0ad-1b570c31971d.html

Fox rebrands WDCA as 'Fox 5 Plus'

Effective July 17, the Fox-owned sister station to WTTG Washington (DMA 7) – MNT affiliate WDCA — will be rebranded “Fox 5 Plus.” As part of the station’s change, WDCA will launch a daily 8 p.m. primetime newscast named Fox 5 News on the Plus.

Anchored by Tony Perkins and Shawn Yancy, the 8 p.m. Monday through Sunday newscast will focus on local and national stories, local traffic, weather and sports updates. In addition to this, Fox 5 Plus will also add various breaking news updates during primetime and throughout the day.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/103316/fox-rebrands-wdca-as-fox-5-plus

• Like 1

Any guesses on when this will roll out to Orlando, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, etc?

Not sure if they would extend this branding to stations that have somewhat of a history like WFTC, WWOR, KCOP, etc.

• Like 5

Looks like former WSVN & WDSU anchor/reporter Adrianna Hopkins is going to be Jummy Olabanji's replacement on WJLA's morning newscast, Good Morning Washington. She will start on May 29th.

Jummy is leaving the station to become the new weekend evening anchor at WNBC at the end of this month.

Bet she's glad to leave that sinking ship in DC. This is definitely a big step up for her.

Even though it is a jump from DMA 50 to 7 for Adrianna, that hardly seems like a promotion...

Especially since she went from Hearst to Sinclair. WTF? I rather wait for an opportunity with another station's group owner than Sinclair or Nexstar. Those two companies sound just horrible to work for.

• Like 4

Especially since she went from Hearst to Sinclair. WTF? I rather wait for an opportunity with another station's group owner than Sinclair or Nexstar. Those two companies sound just horrible to work for.

I wouldn't tar all Sinclair stations with the same brush, but one of the micro-managed stations is a bad thing for sure. They don't interfere as much with their smaller stations but those aren't exactly places you'd expect someone experienced to run to anyway.

If she was at WGNO, that would have been a big promotion...

• Like 1

Even though it is a jump from DMA 50 to 7 for Adrianna, that hardly seems like a promotion...

To me the bigger question is why does WJLA (and others) need three anchors in the morning? Two is sufficient.

• Like 2

To me the bigger question is why does WJLA (and others) need three anchors in the morning? Two is sufficient.

That's nothing - our local Hearst station (WMTW) has TWO METEOROLOGISTS in the morning - one in the studio and one in the field, regardless of weather conditions. This is the last-place station in market #81...

That's nothing - our local Hearst station (WMTW) has TWO METEOROLOGISTS in the morning - one in the studio and one in the field, regardless of weather conditions. This is the last-place station in market #81...

Nexstar's WTAJ Altoona started using two meteorologists this past Monday morning - Christy Shields and hired WJAC's former meteorologist Jim Burton. Jim was released abruptly from WJAC last year.

• Like 2

In case one calls in sick.

Jummy was more of a "Breaking News/Live Desk" anchor instead of sitting at the desk with main anchors Lenny & Autria taking turns reading headlines in a "three-anchor format". However yes Eat, Jummy would fill-in anchor when one of the main anchors is away.

Speaking of two meteorologists, WJLA uses two for GMW. It isn't like they use two simultaneously like some stations have (like WKBW & at one point WEWS). Eileen Whelan anchors the 4:30-7am show on 7, while Veronica Johnson does the 7-10am portion on NewsChannel 8. Johnson also weather anchors a separate 6-7am show on NC8 entitled "GMW Express".

I don't think you need to have two weather anchors on the same show at the same time (especially if both are in the studio, and there's no severe weather event). That bothered me when I saw two weather anchors on WEWS's morning show, and I was like why? Just a waste.

• Like 6

Jummy was more of a "Breaking News/Live Desk" anchor instead of sitting at the desk with main anchors Lenny & Autria taking turns reading headlines in a "three-anchor format". However yes Eat, Jummy would fill-in anchor when one of the main anchors is away.

Speaking of two meteorologists, WJLA uses two for GMW. It isn't like they use two simultaneously like some stations have (like WKBW & at one point WEWS). Eileen Whelan anchors the 4:30-7am show on 7, while Veronica Johnson does the 7-10am portion on NewsChannel 8. Johnson also weather anchors a separate 6-7am show on NC8 entitled "GMW Express".

I don't think you need to have two weather anchors on the same show at the same time (especially if both are in the studio, and there's no severe weather event). That bothered me when I saw two weather anchors on WEWS's morning show, and I was like why? Just a waste.

At least Sinclair is using the two-met format in the case of fatigue. On a side note, why does WJLA need three anchors (two on the main desk and one on breaking news)? It's a really bad gimmick.

... On a side note, why does WJLA need three anchors (two on the main desk and one on breaking news)? It's a really bad gimmick.

Didn't Pittsburgh's WTAE in the early 80s for a time have three anchors during their hour-long 6 pm Action News - iirc, Don Cannon, Paul Long, and Mike Schneider? Their news set anchor desk actually was designed to accommodate three anchors.

Leon Harris to join WRC effective tomorrow.

At NBC4, Harris will be anchoring the weekend editions of News4 at 6 and News4 at 11 along with Erika Gonzalez. During the week, he will contribute to coverage of breaking news and special events and report on segments that focus on inspiring people in our community.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Journalist-Leon-Harris-to-Join-NBC4-on-April-21-2017-419965143.html

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic