Out & About

TexasTVNews

Next to KHOU legends like Steve Smith, Marlene McClinton, and the late Sylvan Rodriguez; Greg Hurst (A close personal friend of mine) is Houston news legend in my book. I'll miss him at 5 & 6PM, but we'll always keep in touch on Facebook. As for who succeeding him, expect Len Cannon to be promoted to the 5 and 6PM in addition to his 4 & 10PM duties.

This is from July of 1999 when Greg was hired in June to take over for the retired Steve Smith.

This had to have happened on Tuesday. He was posting WIS weather updates until Wednesday. A complete 360 of riding bikes and a "Cashmeousside" to find out how the weather is. He also responded to someone and said he may be heading back to Indianapolis. I'm wondering what happened to cause this. It's just too strange.

Well here's a wee bit more info.. He's moving back to Indy due to a "long-distance relationship" and wants it to work out... He says he's got a few gigs here and there, but can't announce any "permanent" plans... This was via his Facebook page on March 17...

https://www.facebook.com/wxrobb/

• Like 2

Scott Levin making a smart move by leaving on his own terms rather than taking a TEGNA buyout

If I was management over at WKBW/Channel 7 I would seriously make an offer to lure him over to help the once dominated station in the market. I'm sure he has a following of viewers.

Viewers are outraged over Greg's ouster. And some have feared that the current AM anchor might replace Greg, because its ND is the wife of that anchor.

I can't believe Russ Lewis "liked" some of the posts from angry viewers criticizing him and and his wife, the ND. That seems rather tacky. All it does is further upset viewers of a station whose newscasts are in 3rd place in many timeslots. Not smart.

• Like 1

I can't believe Russ Lewis "liked" some of the posts from angry viewers criticizing him and and his wife, the ND. That seems rather tacky. All it does is further upset viewers of a station whose newscasts are in 3rd place in many timeslots. Not smart.

I'm sure in just a few days we will all learn that Mr. Lewis had his account hacked. That will explain all those "likes" to the his angry netizens.

• Like 1

I know that, at least based on opinions I've seen here, some love him and some hate him, but I did want to point out that Charlotte media columnist Mark Washburn is leaving the Observer. Hopefully they will still cover ratings and local comings and goings.

http://businessnc.com/charlotte-observer-taps-new-editor-amid-media-industry-turbulence/

• Like 2

FTVLive is reporting that former NBC 5 (KXAS) Anchor/Reporter Deanna Dewberry has been hired by Rochester's 10NBC (WHEC) to be their new main anchor vacated

by the retired Janet Lomax. Also, the station also hired former WIS News 10 anchor Charles Molineaux to be their new Nightside Reporter.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3/23/first-on-ftvlive-former-dallas-reporter-headed-to-rochester

FTVLive is reporting that former NBC 5 (KXAS) Anchor/Reporter Deanna Dewberry has been hired by Rochester's 10NBC (WHEC) to be their new main anchor vacated

by the retired Janet Lomax. Also, the station also hired former WIS News 10 anchor Charles Molineaux to be their new Nightside Reporter.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3/23/first-on-ftvlive-former-dallas-reporter-headed-to-rochester

Charles also used to be a morning anchor long time ago for my market in WSVN 7 as Today in Florida anchor.

• Like 2

Our longtime main anchor at WDAF-TV will retire later this year.

http://fox4kc.com/2017/03/24/fox-4-news-anchor-phil-witt-announces-retirement/

Sorry to double post but god bless him. What a delight for WDAF to have had him for so long. Wendall Anschutz (KCTV) and Larry Moore (KMBC) are right there with him as the best of the best.

I'm sure by now you already know, today is Greg Hurst last day at KHOU-TV. Greg posted his thank you note to the viewers on Facebook.

YOU’RE NOT JUST FRIENDS, YOU’RE FAMILY!

For 18 years we’ve been through a lot together and I want to thank you for being there every step of the way. Now, as I leave, to pursue new challenges and better opportunities, I want you to know, I owe you a tremendous debt of gratitude. Over the years, your thoughtful and kind words have not only been greatly appreciated, and unbelievably gracious but tremendously humbling.

This journey started together in 1999. Six months into it, on an early November morning we would discover we were part of a new wave of coverage that would change the way breaking news stories were told in Houston. After getting word that a group of young people had been killed and injured when the A&M bonfire collapsed, we sent a talented team of journalists to campus. From that point on, local news in Houston would be seen anytime of the day or night and would “routinely” be extended beyond the customary 30 minute segment. We spent the next couple of days in College Station talking about what happened. We stood in shock and disbelief, and when the dust finally cleared we all mourned the loss together, just as close families do.

Unfortunately, it wouldn’t be the first time we shed a tear together. We watched as evil brought down the “twin towers” and America went to war. It was a life changing experience for all of us. I was privileged to ride through the Iraqi desert with the United States Marines as they charged toward Baghdad in the Gulf War. I was able to take so many of you through Saddam Hussein’s Palace, talk with the enemy, share their stories and, by the grace of God, dodged more than a bullet or two.

The timeline of tears would flow again on a beautiful, crystal clear February day in 2003. We would lose seven courageous astronauts when the Space Shuttle Columbia exploded into a dust ball of disbelief upon re-entry.

Over the years, we spent too many nervous nights, watching Ike or Katrina or any of their evil siblings, splinter trees, shatter windows and blow rain sideways. We awaited the hurricane’s landfall and would bend to its will, while helplessly watching the water rise. When daybreak came, we waded through debris soaked flood water. We’d pull out the carpet, try to salvage the cars, clean up the mess, then carry on, like good Houstonians always do.

Over time, I’ve had to navigate more than a few chaotic elections and hopefully provided some historical context or reasoning. I’ve also had the pleasure of being the ringmaster (moderator) for numerous debates. I would try (and at times fail miserably) to solicit straight talk from politicians who too often would try to dodge difficult questions. The search for clarity can make you crazy.

I hope, along way, during some unnerving active shooter situation, hostage crisis or police chase, I’ve been able to provide some analysis or perspective, that gave you a better understanding of what was unfolding and perhaps (even when the bullets would fly) some reassurance, “it’ll be ok.”

Honestly, in this job, it’s sometimes difficult to find the right words – Tragedy has a way of putting a grip on the tongue, and even leaving speech makers speechless. On those occasions, I apologize for my inadequacies.

Hopefully, I pray on the balance of 18 years, that I’ve been able to provide a word or encouragement on nervous nights of uncertainty, a ray of hope when the day seemed darkest, and a voice of reason when it looked like all hell was about to break loose. Through the years we’ve watched good people come and go -- I've worked with more than 22 Anchors on the KHOU news desk – But, sometimes change can be good. In fact, good change can be productive, and life affirming.

I’m happy to say, through challenges and difficulties, the one that has never changed is your loyalty to “The Spirit of Texas” and a station that “Stands for Houston.” I could not have been prouder to be a part of it. I've been humbled and honored that you gave me a front row seat on one of life’s great stages and I’ll never be able to thank you enough for so many great memories.

God Bless you all,

Greg Hurst

• Like 3

Get ready for another diginet.

Marquee Broadcasting's WGTA will be the primary affiliate of the MeTV Network, replacing Cox-owned WSB, effective March 25. But here's the issue. WGTA use to be former CBS affiliate WNEG in Toccoa, and its signal doesn't reach the immediate part of metro Atlanta. So people who don't have cable or satellite, (or have an outdoor antenna pointing to the east) won't be able to receive MeTV programming in Atlanta.

Follow-up.

The MeTV affiliate change from WSB 2.2 to WGTA 32.1 happens Monday morning (3/27) at 9am. That means OTA viewers in the immediate metro Atlanta area won't be getting MeTV. But WGTA's signal will be carried on U-Verse, DirecTV & Dish Network in the Atlanta area.

WSB hasn't publicly announce a replacement to MeTV, but looking at the guide past 9am tomorrow, it looks like its programming from the Escape diginet.

Also, KSAT 12's new 9am newscast starts tomorrow. And the major shift in programming that follows.....

• Like 1

According to DCRTV, WJLA will be dropping MeTV effective 3/1. No word on if another DC station will pick it up or if local cable providers will pick up the Baltimore or Richmond feed.

They're going to add Sinclair's new action-themed diginet Charge! on that allotment.

Wouldn't be surprised if Fox gets MeTV, since it already carries its other networks on WDCA. Fox also carries MeTV on Austin's KTBC 7.4.

Follow-up.

DCRTV stated that Fox will be carrying MeTV on WTTG's subchannel 5.3.

Me-TV Moving From 7 To 5 - 3/25 - From DCRTV's Saturday Mailbag: "Just saw an ad during 'MacGyver' this evening (the original, not the CBS reboot) on WJLA's Me-TV subchannel that the popular classic TV diginet will be moving from Sinclair's WJLA (7.2) to Fox's WTTG (5.3) this Monday. No word if Comcast (the 'only game in town,' in terms of Frederick County, Maryland) will carry Channel 5's upcoming Me-TV affiliation. According to the advertisement, the cable providers listed (for DC-area viewers) are Atlantic Broadband (Channel 157), Hardy OneNet (252/1252) and will be coming soon to Antietam Cable in Washington County (Hagerstown). Might have to invest in a strong antenna to watch 'Svengoolie' (if Comcast does not carry WTTG 5.3 soon)"

The MeTV website has already have the updated listing.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic