Out & About

TexasTVNews

As we're coming towards the second anniversary of the CBS Indy switch, there's already been changes to the morning talent.

Indianapolis Business Journal stated yesterday that WFMY reporter & anchor Frank Mickens has been hired as a new anchor of WTTV's morning newscast. He'll start early next year.

This comes after the late fall departures of morning anchor Marianne Lyles, and traffic reporter Katie Solove. Solove became the new morning anchor at Lexington's WTVQ; while Lyles took a corporate communications job at a firm outside of Chicago.

The station has also dealt with abysmal ratings in the mornings. During the November books, it was ranked last among the five local AM shows in the A25/54 demo; while its sister WXIN was on top.

In November, WTTV ranked fifth of five local news station in the all-important 25-to-54 age demo during the 5 a.m., 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. news, according to Nielsen Media Research. WXIN, WTTV’s sister station, ranked No. 1 in those time slots in the 25-to-54 age group, which is most sought after by advertisers.

WTTV’s morning news in November had fewer than half the number of viewers in the 25-to-54 demo as the market’s top two stations, WXIN and WTHR, according to Nielsen, and also trailed WISH-TV Channel 8 and WRTV-TV Channel 6 at 5 a.m., 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. by substantial margins.

Bob Kendrick, ABC 6 and FOX 28 News Anchor offered this comment about Harris’ announcement, “I'm sorry to see Yolanda go, but Bill Kelly and I are excited about the success ABC 6 and FOX 28 News has experienced, as well as what the future brings.”

Just checked TV listings and NWCN will go sign-off and be off-the-air for good on Friday January 6th, 2017 at 7 p.m. PT/10 p.m. ET

The last three hours will be Northwest News Today from 4:00-5:30pm, followed by the NWCN 20 special that was already aired earlier this year at 5:30pm and the hour-long Northwest News Evening Edition at 6:00pm will end the channel's 21-year history.

If anybody has access to NWCN right now, please record the final few hours on its last day. It will be history to see because we won't see it again.

• Like 2

It's a New Years Eve Retrans Double Header in Oklahoma...

- First it's Griffin VS Dish, deadline as soon as the ball drops:

KOTV- http://www.keepnewson6.com/ KWTV- http://www.keepnews9.com/

- Followed by Cox VS AT&T, deadline 2:00am Jan. 1:

KOKI- http://www.fox23.com/entertainment/television/attdirectv-faqs/479127871

• Like 1

It's a New Years Eve Retrans Double Header in Oklahoma...

- First it's Griffin VS Dish, deadline as soon as the ball drops:

KOTV- http://www.keepnewson6.com/ KWTV- http://www.keepnews9.com/

- Followed by Cox VS AT&T, deadline 2:00am Jan. 1:

KOKI- http://www.fox23.com/entertainment/television/attdirectv-faqs/479127871

Add Hearst vs AT&T to that list.

Apparently, she may be working out a deal with WBNS, according to FTVLive....

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/12/29/crossing-the-street-in-columbus

Channel 6 has historically been the farm team for Channel 10, and vice versa when someone gets booted from 10. They parked Chris Bradley over at WTHR so he could learn how to use the weather equipment while his non-compete was still around. I think they should do that with Yolanda.

In fact, I don't know why stations don't do more of that. Mix-in your most talented and or attractive people with the other stations in your group. Perfect example was this year's World Series. Put WTHR in charge of the Chicago game coverage and WBNS in charge of the Cleveland games. It makes things more interesting for the viewer to see new people and lets you get more use out of your high-priced talent.

• Like 1

Channel 6 has historically been the farm team for Channel 10, and vice versa when someone gets booted from 10. They parked Chris Bradley over at WTHR so he could learn how to use the weather equipment while his non-compete was still around. I think they should do that with Yolanda.

In fact, I don't know why stations don't do more of that. Mix-in your most talented and or attractive people with the other stations in your group. Perfect example was this year's World Series. Put WTHR in charge of the Chicago game coverage and WBNS in charge of the Cleveland games. It makes things more interesting for the viewer to see new people and lets you get more use out of your high-priced talent.

Why not just bring them up through the groups farm systems....

...and then let us trade them between groups and cities.

just like baseball.

batter-up!

(I will trade 3 old male reporters for 1 young wx bunny)

Why not just bring them up through the groups farm systems....

...and then let us trade them between groups and cities.

just like baseball.

batter-up!

(I will trade 3 old male reporters for 1 young wx bunny)

All I know is this: If I am the Wolfes and I am paying Angela Buchman $400k a year to do the weather in Indianapolis, I'm going to also figure out how to use her in Columbus on a semi-regular basis. She could do "special reports" on Tornado Safety or other such topics. No offense to anybody who is gay and Chris Bradley is a nice enough guy and all, but I would rather look at her.

AngelaBuchman.jpg

• Like 1

So now Comcast is in a pissing match with Spectrum? I'm not sure if it's just specific to KNSD or the whole NBC O&O stations, but there's a website urging viewers to contact Spectrum and voice their complaints...

https://t.co/Rxm4lHcHNU

It's all of them, apparently. This is a big problem in Boston considering that Spectrum is the main cable provider for Worcester and central Mass, and none of the 3 stations carrying NBC Boston (WBTS, WNEU or WMFP) cover the area decently enough.

It's all of them, apparently. This is a big problem in Boston considering that Spectrum is the main cable provider for Worcester and central Mass, and none of the 3 stations carrying NBC Boston (WBTS, WNEU or WMFP) cover the area decently enough.

I noticed on NBC Boston's channel list the Spectrum listing went from "Negotiations Underway" to "TBD". I think they're hunkering down for a battle since it is the last system of note to not come to a deal and when small systems on the fringe are falling like dominoes it says a lot.

• Like 1

Let be-honest with the resurgence of WSYX ratings, and beating WCMH this was WBNS last ditch effort to keep their #1 ratings in tack, but The Wolfe's had to pony up some $$$ for her to jump ship. 4 & 10 have both been courting her many times. I don't see The Family keeping the station as a family owned station. It will be sold to one of the big companies. However, she was the face of the stations brand, but I hope Terri Sullivan who been with WSYX since 1993, will move up to evening shows at least 5,6PM. Sinclair, likes hair models with big tits; not real journalist. It will be interesting to see how this will all come to fruition. WBNS itself has it own drama, and that trying to to stay relevant.

Noticed in my FIOS program guide the other day that WTVR now has a 6:30pm newscast with no mention of CBS-EN at all. While it did air at 6:30 followed by the 7pm news, I wonder if they're planning to bump CBS-EN to 7 after the new year and have a two hour block of local news from 5-7?

Asking WTVR right now for confirmation. Will let you know when I hear back.

• Like 1

Noticed in my FIOS program guide the other day that WTVR now has a 6:30pm newscast with no mention of CBS-EN at all. While it did air at 6:30 followed by the 7pm news, I wonder if they're planning to bump CBS-EN to 7 after the new year and have a two hour block of local news from 5-7?

Sorry for the double post.

WTVR on Facebook: "No that is not true Roly. CBS Evening News at 6:30 is not going anywhere."

I hope that answers your question.

• Like 6

All I know is this: If I am the Wolfes and I am paying Angela Buchman $400k a year to do the weather in Indianapolis, I'm going to also figure out how to use her in Columbus on a semi-regular basis. She could do "special reports" on Tornado Safety or other such topics. No offense to anybody who is gay and Chris Bradley is a nice enough guy and all, but I would rather look at her.

AngelaBuchman.jpg

Yes, Wolfes believe in the Q research and Angie was big in Indy, which was one of the reason WISH-TV had so many cracks in it station, by luring her over to WTHR for 400K. Yolanda, might get a bump at 200K with Indy being bigger than Columbus, market. However, the old man is dead the kids don't want the family dynasty anymore. The health of the family company, should be a concern. Once, the station is sold and depending on which media owner takes over those big salaries get slashed. If TEGNA buys it forget it, but if Hearst does then it a win-win for all. As for Chris, the only reason he was able to jump was the former GM worked with him in Detroit, and his Q ratings were high.

Yes, Wolfes believe in the Q research and Angie was big in Indy, which was one of the reason WISH-TV had so many cracks in it station, by luring her over to WTHR for 400K. Yolanda, might get a bump at 200K with Indy being bigger than Columbus, market. However, the old man is dead the kids don't want the family dynasty anymore. The health of the family company, should be a concern. Once, the station is sold and depending on which media owner takes over those big salaries get slashed. If TEGNA buys it forget it, but if Hearst does then it a win-win for all. As for Chris, the only reason he was able to jump was the former GM worked with him in Detroit, and his Q ratings were high.

Two comments:

1. In real life, I joke around about what a great environmentalist I am. I use both sides of copy paper, and I don't throw anything away which still has a use. In other words, I'm cheap. I can't believe there isn't some way to give some face time to all the high priced talent with the high "Q" ratings -- it is environmentally sound. Hell, Yolanda is good looking enough that I would have her popping up on WTHR as well.

Mike Davis has a great voice, but he looks like a pigged out Howdy Doody; Chris Bradley is just plain dorky and dull. Bill Kelly or Bob Kendrick, on the other hand, would have been much better "gets" than Yolanda, in my opinion.

2. The kids are going to be sorry they let the family dynasty slip away. It sure beats working a day job. But then again, they own plenty of real estate. Maybe that will keep them busy.

BREAKING NEWS (EDIT): And speaking of Buchman, it looks like she has roots in the Columbus area. That makes my idea of her doing cameos on WBNS even better! Check out her FB page ... Grandma and Grandpa appear to be from the Newark area.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1315719021784752

• Like 3

And now the Dispatch is even making such claims....

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2016/12/29/yolanda-harris-leaves-station.html

[url=http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2016/12/29/yolanda-harris-leaves-station.html][/url]

If they and 10TV were still under common ownership, the story wouldn't have surfaced UNTIL 10TV made it official.

Could some of the recently departed from the Columbus airwaves be looking to make a comeback? Andrea Cambern? Mindy Drayer? Heck, even Cabot Rea and Dave Kaylor could resurface on WSYX / WTTE some day....

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic