Out & About

TexasTVNews

Longtime WLTV (Miami's Univision affiliate) anchor Guillermo Benites passed away Saturday morning after battling an undisclosed illness. Benites retired in September 2015 after 39 years with the station.

http://www.mediamoves.com/2016/12/guillermo-benites-dies-illness.html

Very sad when I heard of this. I have watched him since forever. Sucks that he's now gone and was one of the good guys in the market.

Guy Gordon leaving WDIV in Detroit for his own radio show at WJR-Radio.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/guy-gordon-leaving-wdiv/183266

It's a great move for WJR. Micheal Savage was a corporate cramdown by the Dickeys and was a terrible fit for a station known for congenial hosts like Paul W. Smith, Frank Beckmann and Mitch Albom.

Here's an interesting article from TVNewsCheck's Playout vertical about how LiveU is preparing for the inauguration. They will primarily be relying on the cellular network but like other high profile events they'll setup WiFi hotspots.

Maybe I'm mistaken but doesn't the secret service use cell phone jammers when the president's on the move?

Also, I think their COO's comments about Fox and NBC not repairing their satellite trucks when they break down is a bit off. I understand that cellular news gathering is a lot more common place but I can't see the networks not repairing a vehicle. The trucks are extremely expensive and can't imagine they would put it off to the side if it's still within its useful life cycle. Additionally the networks frequently own/lease transponder space for the long term so it would be a waste to NOT fix a truck.

Here's an interesting article from TVNewsCheck's Playout vertical about how LiveU is preparing for the inauguration. They will primarily be relying on the cellular network but like other high profile events they'll setup WiFi hotspots.

Maybe I'm mistaken but doesn't the secret service use cell phone jammers when the president's on the move?

Also, I think their COO's comments about Fox and NBC not repairing their satellite trucks when they break down is a bit off. I understand that cellular news gathering is a lot more common place but I can't see the networks not repairing a vehicle. The trucks are extremely expensive and can't imagine they would put it off to the side if it's still within its useful life cycle. Additionally the networks frequently own/lease transponder space for the long term so it would be a waste to NOT fix a truck.

The article is messed up. The COO and writer don't have much of a clue about what the issues are. The COO thinks bonded cellular is the end all solution to the worlds ENG issues???

BC is fine if you have a shitload of 4G frequencies available...not a strained 3g/4g system like what is available in most cities.

When you try to cram 1 million people and their devices into an area of a few square miles...you get problems.

Bonded Celluar(BC) does not offer dedicated lines, and the COO want us to believe that a few "hotspots" will help? What is the bandwith availability of the hotspots? The public cell networks will be overloaded...no argument there.

The COO is high.

BC won't be used for the vital feeds or uplinks...

BC is still "kinda questionable" (IMHO) under these conditions.

WHCA sure as hell wont go for a BC Pool feed from the press "parade" pool truck (maybe as backup only). BC will probably be ok outside the 3 square mile radius from the capitol, but fiber SNG and ENG will still be the drug of choice for feeds.

When you run out of available frequencies and channels...the back packs get knocked into 3G modes and the sound and pictures go to shit (pixaly). Sound always goes first. These things eat up channels faster then my brother (Mac) eats up harp seals .

Maybe DC can handle the pressure this time. But if you see those pictures goto crap, then it's most likely a BC unit hitting only on 3G and begging for channels..

• Like 2

You sure ask a lot of questions for somebody from Maryland.

The SS can jam frequencies ...but so can just about anybody else with off the shelf equipment.

What do they wish to jam?

There are at least 6 different regularly used commercial cellular bands or blocks of frequencies used in North America. More worldwide.

Unless you know the target frequency of your subject/ device, you will have to jam the entire band or block of frequencies. So if I'm concerned with an IED using a GSM, TDMA, CDMA trigger...then you need to jam the entire suspected frequency range . You need to block that trigger from hearing a signal inside the target area.

If the secret service deployed a jammer that covered every Verizion, Sprint, AT&T user inside a 3 square mile radius... the FCC would shit bricks the size of Maryland.

They would still shit bricks if you knocked out every user within a 500ft radius. You need a lot of wattage to kill signals like that, and only the Military does that kind of stuff during wars.

In the world of jamming that's "scorched earth" stuff.

But...

There are off the shelf Cell Jammers available that target much smaller areas under 100 feet, depending on conditions. So if you suspect that someone has hidden a device triggered by a signal in one of the traditional cellular bands...then it's no big deal to jam and knock out that band inside a 50 foot radius.

Everyone inside that protected 50ft radius is presumably already screened and under your control...and the Secret Service has a pretty secure/ encrypted 400mhz spread spectrum radio system that is used inside the bubble(within 25ft) of protection.

Target+Range= Power

It's likely the jammers deployed are low power and very transiant in use inside the USA.

Outside the USA is a different story....

Entire Cell systems and bands sometimes go dark during Presidential visits in 2nd and 3rd world countries.

Regular members of the POTUS press pool report mysterious cell "blackouts" in places like Brazil, Vietnam, and most of the African countries. The blackouts are annoying but usually short in duration.. It's pretty much understood that it's the Secret Service radio techs testing the limits of the jammers outside the view of the FCC...and on unsuspecting 3rd world countries. (win win).

So yes...jamming happens...but in the USA it's limited and highly directed in nature if deployed....to limit interference to our domestic cellular networks. Any other larger deployment in the USA would just piss-off tons of cell users including public safety etc..

You can get away with landing Air Force One on the 405 freeway in the middle of rush hour...but if you Jam the Facebookers, Tweeters and Fapchatters from posting the pics, then you will have bloody hell to pay.

• Like 2

The article is messed up. The COO and writer don't have much of a clue about what the issues are. The COO thinks bonded cellular is the end all solution to the worlds ENG issues???

BC is fine if you have a shitload of 4G frequencies available...not a strained 3g/4g system like what is available in most cities.

When you try to cram 1 million people and their devices into an area of a few square miles...you get problems.

Bonded Celluar(BC) does not offer dedicated lines, and the COO want us to believe that a few "hotspots" will help? What is the bandwith availability of the hotspots? The public cell networks will be overloaded...no argument there.

The COO is high.

BC won't be used for the vital feeds or uplinks...

BC is still "kinda questionable" (IMHO) under these conditions.

WHCA sure as hell wont go for a BC Pool feed from the press "parade" pool truck (maybe as backup only). BC will probably be ok outside the 3 square mile radius from the capitol, but fiber SNG and ENG will still be the drug of choice for feeds.

When you run out of available frequencies and channels...the back packs get knocked into 3G modes and the sound and pictures go to shit (pixaly). Sound always goes first. These things eat up channels faster then my brother (Mac) eats up harp seals .

Maybe DC can handle the pressure this time. But if you see those pictures goto crap, then it's most likely a BC unit hitting only on 3G and begging for channels..

I with what you said. I attributed some of it to a language gap. But the COO mentioned a 100 Mbps backbone by Time Warner (I don't think they even operate there) - which does not seem like enough.

I with what you said. I attributed some of it to a language gap. But the COO mentioned a 100 Mbps backbone by Time Warner (I don't think they even operate there) - which does not seem like enough.

Exactly,

I guess the question we should be asking is what do they(ULIVE) consider a "hotspot" to be? If it's a dedicated or isolated user system then it's not really being forced to use the public cell networks then that's cheating.

You sure ask a lot of questions for somebody from Maryland.

I must of asked the right questions through out life because as I turned 18 I found myself admitted into Johns Hopkins.

The hospital that is. :p

• Like 6

As mentioned in the chat box...

latest?cb=20161217020732

A brand new logo for Wilmington's WWAY 3, all in preparation for WWAY receiving the CBS affiliation on DT2. The letters aren't bad, but the 3 looks so 80s-ish.

I kinda like this. Has a retro vibe...WAY better than all the derivative crap passing as new logos now. (Or just horrible like WFXT).

It looks like there was some actual thought put into this, which is refreshing.

• Like 3

idk whats going on but for some reason my outdoor roof antenna (I also have Directv on the other side of the house because half the wiring in the wall that used to be Directv was cut off in my bedroom due to budget reasons) it decides to pickup not only more stations in sacramento but also Bay Area stations as well....i was getting 63 channels before now im getting 83 channels instead with KTVU being the strongest signal. did KTVU upgrade their towers? something tells us they did something over in the san francisco and san jose transmitters.

idk whats going on but for some reason my outdoor roof antenna (I also have Directv on the other side of the house because half the wiring in the wall that used to be Directv was cut off in my bedroom due to budget reasons) it decides to pickup not only more stations in sacramento but also Bay Area stations as well....i was getting 63 channels before now im getting 83 channels instead with KTVU being the strongest signal. did KTVU upgrade their towers?

It sounds like the cut cable created it's own antenna that just happens to be well suited for those off-air signals.

And I would also guess you are close to Fairfield. The antenna may behave a bit differently once the rain stops....but ya never know.

• Like 3

It sounds like the cut cable created it's own antenna that just happens to be well suited for those off-air signals.

And I would also guess you are close to Fairfield. The antenna may behave a bit differently once the rain stops....but ya never know.

i'm in Rancho cordova. KTVU is located 94 miles.

• Like 1

idk whats going on but for some reason my outdoor roof antenna (I also have Directv on the other side of the house because half the wiring in the wall that used to be Directv was cut off in my bedroom due to budget reasons) it decides to pickup not only more stations in sacramento but also Bay Area stations as well....i was getting 63 channels before now im getting 83 channels instead with KTVU being the strongest signal. did KTVU upgrade their towers? something tells us they did something over in the san francisco and san jose transmitters.

You might be getting tropo.

• Like 1

That's pretty darn good for an accidental antenna.

yeah that is until you get to the weakest station it picks up. KNTV.

You might be getting tropo.

yeah could be that. they might go away because i once did a channel surfing video on this and some of the bay area channels never came back that night until the next weekend or when the wind was picking up.

And Denise Dufala will be at WKYC in 3...2...

A six-month non-compete is more than enough time for WKYC to move Ellen and Phil McGraw up one hour each... and finally launch a 5pm newscast with Denise and Jim Donovan.

So many WOIO/CBS19 castaways jump over to WKYC. It be nice to see Denise go over to Channel 3, or go back to WJW/FOX8.

WJW already has a lot of news anchors in their stable. And given Tribune's recent insistence on contract buyouts...

• Like 2

A six-month non-compete is more than enough time for WKYC to move Ellen and Phil McGraw up one hour each... and finally launch a 5pm newscast with Denise and Jim Donovan.

WJW already has a lot of news anchors in their stable. And given Tribune's recent insistence on contract buyouts...

What about WEWS? I can still picture her on at Noon and 4pm or 5pm.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic