Out & About

TexasTVNews

And at least it's still going to be taped in Toledo. All the Heathens are doing is transferring the control room to WSBT. Most of the news personnel will be based in Toledo.

...and in 6 months Toledo will be reduced to 1 or 2 MMJ's.

Just wait and see.

• Like 1

...and in 6 months Toledo will be reduced to 1 or 2 MMJ's.

Just wait and see.

Hell by then, Sinclair might just show chimps flinging poo on WNWO, because all the technical difficulties caused NBC24 to give up on a news department but they still want to be live, local, and late-breaking. Sinclair puts a camera in the chimp enclosure at the Toledo Zoo, problem solved.

Chimps don't have a union, no sick days, and best of all, NO PAYROLL.

• Like 5

And MORE expansion at WKRG beginning on December 5th....they are adding a newscast at 6:30 PM!

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2016/11/30/wkrg-finally-expanding-430-am-also-add-local-news-630-pm

This comes after WPMI cancelled their 6:30 show on sister station WJTC earlier this year.

More shocking is that this newscast will displace Andy Griffith, which has aired in that time slot for well over a decade...maybe longer...usually ranking 2nd to WALA's airing of Wheel of Fortune.

Andy will be moving to 9:30 on sister station WFNA after their 9pm show.

Something has to give sooner or later in Mobile/Pensacola. I don't think there is any other market in the country where you have FOUR LIVE newscasts competing against each other at 9PM.

I wish someone would counter-program WALA in the mornings and bring back a 7-8am or 7-9am newscast or replay the 5-7 on their sister station during that time.

Yep... four 9pm newscasts in Mobile. Similar to Boston until WBZ moved its 10pm news to WSBK (focused on Boston-centric stations though - I know there are 2 NH-focused ones as well)

Exactly! The amount of news that is shown in the Mobile market is overkill. Does Mobile really need a 6:30pm newscast?

Short answer: no. I'd imagine Nexstar will force them to scale back post-merger.

One thing to keep in mind is Mobile-Pensacola is a divided media market. While most of the stations there focus primarily on the Alabama side (with some occasional stories from the Florida side), you have some like WEAR that mainly focus on the Florida side.

Hell by then, Sinclair might just show chimps flinging poo on WNWO, because all the technical difficulties caused NBC24 to give up on a news department but they still want to be live, local, and late-breaking. Sinclair puts a camera in the chimp enclosure at the Toledo Zoo, problem solved.

Chimps don't have a union, no sick days, and best of all, NO PAYROLL.

What's the difference between that and the radio conservatalker KDNL runs at 6 and 11?

• Like 2

And at least it's still going to be taped in Toledo. All the Heathens are doing is transferring the control room to WSBT. Most of the news personnel will be based in Toledo.

Two former co-workers of mine work at a Sinclair station in the western U.S., but they also do news for a Sinclair station in the Midwest. These two stations are 1,500 miles apart and the same anchors and producers are doing news for both. Toledo and South Bend is nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if more of the talent is centralized in the future, especially in regions where one company owns a station in every market.

• Like 2

Two former co-workers of mine work at a Sinclair station in the western U.S., but they also do news for a Sinclair station in the Midwest. These two stations are 1,500 miles apart and the same anchors and producers are doing news for both. Toledo and South Bend is nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if more of the talent is centralized in the future, especially in regions where one company owns a station in every market.

I wonder what 'TTV's news would be like if Sinclair still owned it, or if they'd still just be getting WRTV's newscasts...

But that's the sign of centralization for ya. I bet $10 Sinclair brings back News Central, no matter how much they think how dumb that was.

• Like 2

Cluster centralization makes sense, as much as we abhor it a bit around here. I know the Ackerley stations were rather connected at one point.

• Like 1

Or better yet, sell the NBC 24 intellectual rights to either Gray or Raycom and end this charade.

I know. That's why I said Raycom or Gray should buy the intellectual rights to WNWO, meaning that they transfer "NBC24" to either 11.4 or 13.4 and WNWO goes to HSH.

What about Bonten Media or Cordillera Communications for WNWO? Surprise Sinclair pulling the plug on them. In some markets Sinclair has invested in some stations, but then again; Sinclair pulled the plug on KDNL & WXLV.

Surprise Sinclair pulling the plug on them. In some markets Sinclair has invested in some stations, but then again; Sinclair pulled the plug on KDNL & WXLV.

It's actually not that big a surprise. Channel 24 has languished in last place since... what... the early 1970s? Had they remained under Raycom ownership, it's possible that they could have been somewhat competitive against long-dominant WTOL and WTVG.

Channel 24 has been snake-bit ever since it was the (not kidding) flagship of the Overmyer/United Network. Creditors even owned it throughout the early 1980s when owner Don Overmyer defaulted on loans! It was a miracle that WTVG was bought by ABC, thus giving WNWO the NBC affiliation on a silver platter. (WXYZ would outdraw channel 24 in Toledo during the ABC years, and I wouldn't be surprised if WDIV outdraws WNWO today.)

• Like 8

Short answer: no. I'd imagine Nexstar will force them to scale back post-merger.

One thing to keep in mind is Mobile-Pensacola is a divided media market. While most of the stations there focus primarily on the Alabama side (with some occasional stories from the Florida side), you have some like WEAR that mainly focus on the Florida side.

Having a 6:30 newscast in the Central Time Zone kills the buffer between news and primetime. Imagine if this was on the East Coast and a station did a newscast at 7:30.

I could see their 9am show going away once again. It's always been a half-hour in this incarnation. Nexstar could feel the lifestyle show bug and start one too, competing with Studio ten on WALA and Gulf Coast Today on WPMI and WJTC.

WPMI is maxed out news-wise unless Sinclair finds a way to own them directly....which wouldn't surprise me after the auction dust settles...

Having a 6:30 newscast in the Central Time Zone kills the buffer between news and primetime. Imagine if this was on the East Coast and a station did a newscast at 7:30.

I could see their 9am show going away once again. It's always been a half-hour in this incarnation. Nexstar could feel the lifestyle show bug and start one too, competing with Studio ten on WALA and Gulf Coast Today on WPMI and WJTC.

WPMI is maxed out news-wise unless Sinclair finds a way to own them directly....which wouldn't surprise me after the auction dust settles...

Some stations already do that at 7:30pm in the East Coast, mainly Raycom's WAVE 3 in Louisville and WCSC 5 in Charleston.

You could make a case that KPHO's 6:30 newscast has been its flagship for the past decade, which includes most of the good ratings history for the station. In any event, they didn't face any competition until KNXV extended its 6pm news to an hour — a fairly recent development.

Guest Former Member 207

I guess this would be an appropriate place to put this, but I just saw an ad that KCOP is moving the MyTV lineup back to primetime starting this Monday. The "Harry" replay currently at 9pm, shift to midnight.

• Like 2

Having a 6:30 newscast in the Central Time Zone kills the buffer between news and primetime. Imagine if this was on the East Coast and a station did a newscast at 7:30...

Btw, WWSB 40 in Sarasota recently expanded their 7:00pm news to a full hour so its getting there.

• Like 1

I guess this would be an appropriate place to put this, but I just saw an ad that KCOP is moving the MyTV lineup back to primetime starting this Monday. The "Harry" replay currently at 9pm, shift to midnight.

Sorry to double post but he's right. TV listings show that.

KNSD weekend PM weather anchor Vanessa Herrera leaving the station and moving to Milwaukee. Met her in person in the summer while she was out showing off the Storm Ranger- She was very nice, and answered all my questions. No word if she's jumping to any particular station there, nor word on who's replacing her. Her last day is Dec. 11th.

KNSD has an opening for her position, and interestingly enough, they're advertising for a meteorologist this time around, rather than a weather anchor (which they had done several times before). Kimi Evans has been doing some freelance work for the weekend AM newscasts. Presumably she'll be the fill in until Vanessa's replacement is hired.

Today was Kerri Corrado's last day on WJAR Ch.10 in Providence. She makes the short move up 95 to WHDH in Boston where they are beefing up staff once they go Independent. I'm sure WJAR will just replace her with cheap talent from another Sincrap station. Several people of left there this year. Surprisingly the opposite at WPRI where you would think they would be making a mass exodus before the worst of the worst Nexstar takes over.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic