Out & About

TexasTVNews

WWL will be scaling back the "Eyewitness Morning News" starting December 5. Currently airing 4:30 - 9 am, it will run from 4:30 - 7 am.

That same day, "CBS Morning News" - currently airing on WUPL - will air on WWL from 7-9 am.

Will WUPL carry "Eyewitness Morning News" from 7-9am? Or will it be canned altogether?

Sad, sad day in New Orleans for this finally happening.....

But it is the LAST CBS affiliate to clear the show on its main station...meaning that CBS has finally found a morning show that works? I prefer local newscasts from 7-9, but CBS's morning show is a great alternative to Today and GMA without all of the hype and lack of substance.

• Like 5

Sad, sad day in New Orleans for this finally happening.....

But it is the LAST CBS affiliate to clear the show on its main station...meaning that CBS has finally found a morning show that works? I prefer local newscasts from 7-9, but CBS's morning show is a great alternative to Today and GMA without all of the hype and lack of substance.

Has to be an edict from the network. Maybe it came up at affiliation renewal time? No way they'd willingly give up that cash cow of a newscast and send viewers in search of local news over to Fox 8, a station that's been gaining on them in most time slots.

Just off the top of my head, KUTV still only runs the 8am hour. That is probably the biggest exception by market size. KGMB runs it in full, but from 8-10am according to schedules. There may be a few others as well?

Actually, KUTV airs the first hour at 8am while KMYU airs the second hour at 9am.

• Like 1

From a release back in June from WWL's website, its morning show will be split. The 7-9am portion will be moved to WUPL 54.

Sorry for the double post, but yeah. Its official. That's pretty sad because if it does horribly on WUPL, then the 30-year-old 7-9am block will be vanished. I'd bet WVUE is ECSTATIC at this news considering that this can hurt WWL's morning news ratings.

• Like 2

Just off the top of my head, KUTV still only runs the 8am hour. That is probably the biggest exception by market size. KGMB runs it in full, but from 8-10am according to schedules. There may be a few others as well?

WFMY airs CBS This Morning from 8-10am after The Good Morning Show, a program that's been around since the late 1950s. I know it's a Piedmont Triad tradition and all, but will it be next to move CTM to 7am (meaning cutting an hour of TGMS)?

• Like 1

WWL has been losing ground over the last few years, and this move could be what puts either WDSU or WVUE ahead of them in the ratings.

If their CBS affiliation was ever in jeopardy, WWL would do just fine as an independent.

WWL still beats both stations by a good margin, but that 7-9 am block will be interesting, especially during February sweeps.

I suspect Tegna forced this change...the network had no problem all of these years.

WWL still beats both stations by a good margin, but that 7-9 am block will be interesting, especially during February sweeps.

I suspect Tegna forced this change...the network had no problem all of these years.

Stupid decision for Tegna to drop WWL Morning News on Channel 4. Are viewers really going to switch over to WUPL to watch the news? CBS This Morning has come a long way, but WWL Morning news has been king for decades.

• Like 1