Out & About

TexasTVNews

Frank Holland is leaving WCVB to join NBC Boston: http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local/boston/frank-holland-joining-necn-nbc-boston-as-anchor-reporter.html

Susan Tran is joining NBC Boston (after leaving us a nasty voicemail denying it - listen in the link): http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local/boston/susan-tran-joining-necn-nbc-boston-as-reporter.html

That voicemail makes it sound like she's not a very friendly person.

Telemundo would have to go somewhere. Either it gets moved to Channel 30, or stays on Channel 21, but gets moved to a subchannel once the main feed joins NBC. I don't see how it gets dropped entirely, even though a Telemundo affiliate would be better suited for the nearby Kansas City market rather than St. Joseph, the News-Press and Gazette Company's relationship with Telemundo is seemingly about as tight as ABC's with Hearst and Scripps or Fox's with Tribune.

Well according to Wikipedia, Telemundo is on Channel 30 and The CW is on Channel 21.

So no "KX4" on channel 4? From NorthPine earlier this week:

NORTH DAKOTA/MINNESOTA:

The FCC has dealt Gray TV a blow in the Fargo market, saying Gray did not retain the rights to use cable channel 4 when it sold the license associated with that channel number. Gray sold the former KXJB-TV/4.1 (Valley City-Fargo) to comply with ownership caps but retained its longtime "KX4" CBS affiliation by moving it to a subchannel of KVLY-TV/11.1 (Fargo). Channel 4.1 is now KRDK-TV and its new owner, Ravi Kapur's Major Market Broadcasting, sought carriage on Cable One channel 4. Cable One initially rejected KRDK's must-carry request, saying it already had a contract with Gray to carry "KX4" on that channel. Gray contendedthat KRDK's new owner had agreed not to seek carriage on cable channel 4, a claim which KRDK denied and which the FCC's Media Bureau has now rejected as an "unsubstantiated and self-serving argument." It orderedCable One to begin carrying KRDK on channel 4, or a channel mutually agreed upon by KRDK and Cable One, within 45 days. The FCC also recently denied Gray's request to move KRDK's virtual channel to 38.1 so that KVLY could use both virtual channels 4.1 and 11.1. KRDK carries Cozi TV and local sports on channel 4.1. (8/15/2016)

Well according to Wikipedia, Telemundo is on Channel 30 and The CW is on Channel 21.

Right, I forgot. I should have meant that assuming The CW moves from Channel 21 once KBJO becomes KNPG/NBC, would Telemundo stay on Channel 30.1, be moved to a newly created subchannel of that station or, probably more likely, move to a newly created Channel 21.2?

Right, I forgot. I should have meant that assuming The CW moves from Channel 21 once KBJO becomes KNPG/NBC, would Telemundo stay on Channel 30.1, be moved to a newly created subchannel of that station or, probably more likely, move to a newly created Channel 21.2?

I think that The CW will be on 21.2 with NBC on 21.1 and TMD on 30.1

Why not? How many people remember or care about an old brand from somebody else...

Couldn't WOIO rebrand as say, "CBS Action News", or worse, "CBS Cleveland News"?

Pls, God don't speak CBS Action News horrible brand news just either go back to 19 Action News or CBS 19. WFTS has a horrible brand name ABC Action News. Might as well place that up there with WGCL's Clear News.

I'm curious how this will affect news programming on KNPN. The article linked above states that KNPG and KNPN combined will carry 28 hours of news per week, compared to the 19.5 hours that KNPN runs now. KNPN currently airs news from 5:30 to 8:00 a.m. and noon-12:30 p.m. on weekdays and for a half-hour at 5:00 and 9:00 p.m. nightly. I assume that, based on the schedule, KNPG will simulcast the first 90 minutes of KNPN's morning newscast as well as its 5:00 p.m. show (unless they plan to move KNPN's early evening news back to 5:30), with the remaining newscasts being exclusive to the respective stations.

The "noon" news is just a replay of the 7:30 half hour of the morning show. They produce it with weather separate, that weathercast seems recorded as well. The broadcast simply says "previously recorded" and the open is generic.

According to FTVLive, Dispatch Broadcast Group is looking to sell WTHR (NBC) Indianapolis, IN and WBNS (CBS) Columbus, OH. Word is that TEGNA, Hearst, or Tribune have shown interest in both stations. However, Tribune already owns a station in Indianapolis (WTTV/WXIN), so you can cross Tribune out of the running to buy WTHR.

If I have a vote, I put my money on TEGNA on purchasing WTHR and/or WBNS. As for Hearst, I have to say its 50-50 on when they'll purchase 'THR and/or 'BNS. It a wait and see match.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/8/22/dispatch-looking-to-sell-indianapolis-station

• Like 1

According to FTVLive, Dispatch Broadcast Group is looking to sell WTHR (NBC) Indianapolis, IN and WBNS (CBS) Columbus, OH. Word is that TEGNA, Hearst, or Tribune have shown interest in both stations. However, Tribune already owns a station in Indianapolis (WTTV/WXIN), so you can cross Tribune out of the running to buy WTHR.

If I have a vote, I put my money on TEGNA on purchasing WTHR and/or WBNS. As for Hearst, I have to say its 50-50 on when they'll purchase 'THR and/or 'BNS. It a wait and see match.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/8/22/dispatch-looking-to-sell-indianapolis-station

I wonder if Dispatch is open to selling the stations separately. That may allow for other potential buyers to line up.

If Dispatch is cashing out seperately, I would expect Raycom to possibly entertain talks of buying WBNS and having a statewide bureau for its other stations (WXIX, WOIO, and WTOL). Then again, Raycom had a chance to get a station in Mobile and they didn't take it due to probably having to trade something in return.

Dispatch is going to stick with just WBNS-AM "ESPN 1460" and WBNS-FM "97.1 The FAN?" That's a bit of a surprise... then again, both stations bill tremendously with the IMG/tOSU PBP package (which has been on 1460 since 1979). Not to mention that radio in general is no longer a buyer's market by any stretch of the imagination... I would have thrown them in with both TV stations.

Dispatch also runs ONN Radio, a statewide co-op comprised of member radio affiliates, WBNS-TV and the TV partners of the old ONN cable network. 10TV's meteorologists also provide weather forecasts to ONN Radio affiliates that request it.

TBH, I would favor Scripps getting WBNS AM/FM/TV and the ONN remants, and TEGNA getting WTHR.

TBH, I would favor Scripps getting WBNS AM/FM/TV and the ONN remants, and TEGNA getting WTHR.

Scripps getting WBNS?!? That might just propel WSYX/WTTE to #1 if Nexstar can't get WCMH up and running again. If Scripps gets a hold of WBNS, 10 can say goodbye to WoF and J!

• Like 3

Before I go deep into wild speculation....here's my thoughts on where the Dispatch stations COULD end up...

VERY unlikely: Nexstar, Sinclair, Tribune

Somewhat likely: Raycom, Gray, Scripps, Graham, Cox, BH Media

VERY likely: Tegna, Hearst, Meredith

In a perfect world, I still would like to see Dispatch join forces with either CBC/Raleigh, Griffin, or both. THAT would be a merger for the ages.

Hearst is very plausible and would give them the market leaders in Columbus, Indianapolis and Cincinnati (while also reuniting WLWT with WTHR, the erstwhile WLWI).

Cox would also be a good buyer, and given their radio presence (esp. in Dayton, their original market), may want to buy the radio assets too.

That Dispatch has nothing to say about their radio operations, and presumably aren't going to sell them, says an awful lot about how bad the radio industry is now. (And could you blame them after witnessing CBS failing to find any buyer for their radio unit?)

Before I go deep into wild speculation....here's my thoughts on where the Dispatch stations COULD end up...

VERY unlikely: Nexstar, Sinclair, Tribune

Somewhat likely: Raycom, Gray, Scripps, Graham, Cox, BH Media

VERY likely: Tegna, Hearst, Meredith

In a perfect world, I still would like to see Dispatch join forces with either CBC/Raleigh, Griffin, or both. THAT would be a merger for the ages.

Scripps can't because they have WRTV ABC 6 in Indy

End of an era for the Wolfe Family which has been a staple in the Capital City.

Not entirely. Again, they'll still have the WBNS radio stations and ONN Radio... or, more accurately, they may be stuck with the radio operations unless Cox decides to buy Dispatch as a whole.

(Off topic but is it possible for someone to move this and the preceding posts onto the Dispatch thread I just saw?)

Can you see ONN return to the TV airwaves?

Probably not, seeing how TV stations are dropping their local news feeds (such as the upcoming dropping of HTSN from WRTV 6.2 in Indianapolis, to be replaced by Grit).

People nowadays have the Internet to get their news from, and local news at some companies seems to be a joke anymore (*coughSCRIPPScough*), therefore, I really cannot see any 24-hour local news channel being successful.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic