Out & About

TexasTVNews

Well...the year-long speculation that has had Atlanta on the edge of their seats is finally over.

Stephany Fisher just announced on her Facebook page that she's back on the job...as a freelancer for the Washington Post, though she'll stay put in Atlanta.

(More: http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/16/former-cbs46-anchor-stephany-fisher-nabs-freelance-job-for-washington-post/)

But I'm sure that soon enough, all those rumors about Fox 5 becoming her next TV home will become true.

The amount of news expansion in Boston over the past couple of years has been such overkill. These stations barely have enough amusing content to fill the 11pm and yet these expansions continuously happen. I know, I know, the bottom line is the only thing that matters. :smash:

I agree. And it's not just Boston. It's all over the country.

These crazy news expansions have been extremely ridiculous. And what's worst, some stations will gloat about having more hours of news then any other station in promos. It doesn't make the content of your newscast (or your station as a whole) any better, if you just keep on getting rid of other programming and replacing it with news. If news is all you show, then that would give viewers (and even non-news viewers) a reason to change the channel.

These crazy news expansions have been extremely ridiculous. And what's worst, some stations will gloat about having more hours of news then any other station in promos. It doesn't make the content of your newscast (or your station as a whole) any better, if you just keep on getting rid of other programming and replacing it with news. If news is all you show, then that would give viewers (and even non-news viewers) a reason to change the channel.

I'm so grateful stations here in Grand Rapids haven't gone to utter extremes... It's bad enough that the news they report, let's say at 5pm is the same news that's exactly the same content at 6pm... This is why I HATE news in general... It's basically iTunes with the repeat button stuck on 1 track... Unless some of these stations actually puts efforts into making each 1/2 hour segment interesting and separate from the others...

• Like 1

And in turn, partly reason why the CW/MNTV/Indy stations benefit from viewers is because of the decisions the almost all-news stations make, not because of content they have to make.

• Like 1

I'd be very curious to see how Gray uses these (and other LPTV recent acquisitions) They are all in markets where Gray has dominant stations (KALB in Alexandria; KNOE in Monroe; WTOK in Meridian; and KYTV (KSPR) in Springfield. Could their weaker competition in these other markets be cashing out in the Auction?

In Springfield, at least, I would not be particularly surprised if KSPR ended up being shunted to the LP...

I'm so grateful stations here in Grand Rapids haven't gone to utter extremes... It's bad enough that the news they report, let's say at 5pm is the same news that's exactly the same content at 6pm... This is why I HATE news in general... It's basically iTunes with the repeat button stuck on 1 track... Unless some of these stations actually puts efforts into making each 1/2 hour segment interesting and separate from the others...
Thats why I'm not going to care about media ownership anymore once the m&a craze is over with (which by the time I leave this site, it'll be close to being done with)

NPG is launching a low-power NBC affiliate for St. Joseph, Mo. I have no idea what the station runs right now, if anything.

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/business/nbc-affiliate-coming-to-st-joe/article_48ed5f08-6859-5134-ba6b-fde5c295eb26.html

KNPG-LD is currently the Telemundo affiliate for St. Joseph, but channel 21, the channel the article says the new NBC affiliate will be on, is currently KBJO-LD with The CW. This must mean they will move the KNPG-LD callsign over to channel 21.

KNPG-LD is currently the Telemundo affiliate for St. Joseph, but channel 21, the channel the article says the new NBC affiliate will be on, is currently KBJO-LD with The CW. This must mean they will move the KNPG-LD callsign over to channel 21.

It seems like KNPG-LD would move to Channel 21 from Channel 30 and that Channel 30 could get the KBJO-LD call letters, unless if those change too.

The way I read this is NBC on 21.1 and The CW on 21.2, but that could be changed.

Cleveland 19 is a mess. Their triple digit-market stations have put on a better product than WOIO has put on post-Action-News. Given Cleveland's size, I would hope that it puts something on the level of WBTV or WVUE. Part of the problem seems to be the number of anchor teams, as they simply have TOO MANY ANCHORS to begin with!

Hopefully they can hit the reset button in the post-Dick Goddard era and put a little more ACTION into their product. As former "Dirty Dining" reporter Scott Taylor used to say....they need to "CLEEEAN UP!!!!!"

I'm calling it now, another rebrand for WOIO might come in 2017.

• Like 1

How would you know that?

Prior to Action News, WOIO was 19 News (1995), CBS 19 News (1997), Hometeam 19 News (1999), and back to 19 News (2001). With Mancuso resigning, it's safe to say that Cleveland 19 News is a failure. The only way I could see WOIO being competitive again is if they bring back Action News but similar to the last few years of the format.

• Like 1

NPG is launching a low-power NBC affiliate for St. Joseph, Mo. I have no idea what the station runs right now, if anything.

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/business/nbc-affiliate-coming-to-st-joe/article_48ed5f08-6859-5134-ba6b-fde5c295eb26.html

I'm curious how this will affect news programming on KNPN. The article linked above states that KNPG and KNPN combined will carry 28 hours of news per week, compared to the 19.5 hours that KNPN runs now. KNPN currently airs news from 5:30 to 8:00 a.m. and noon-12:30 p.m. on weekdays and for a half-hour at 5:00 and 9:00 p.m. nightly. I assume that, based on the schedule, KNPG will simulcast the first 90 minutes of KNPN's morning newscast as well as its 5:00 p.m. show (unless they plan to move KNPN's early evening news back to 5:30), with the remaining newscasts being exclusive to the respective stations.

I'm curious how this will affect news programming on KNPN. The article linked above states that KNPG and KNPN combined will carry 28 hours of news per week, compared to the 19.5 hours that KNPN runs now. KNPN currently airs news from 5:30 to 8:00 a.m. and noon-12:30 p.m. on weekdays and for a half-hour at 5:00 and 9:00 p.m. nightly. I assume that, based on the schedule, KNPG will simulcast KNPN's morning and 5:00 p.m. shows, with the remaining newscasts being exclusive to the respective stations.

Unless if KNPN moves the 5:00pm news back to 5:30pm and lets KNPG have the 5:00pm timeslot.

Why not? How many people remember or care about an old brand from somebody else...

There's folks that remember distinctive brands that resonates with a station. Some have dropped the brand just to bring it back. Look at KYW & WLS. I would think folks would be outraged if KGO uses the Eyewitness News name, and KPIX has used it off and on for several years. Yeah, KPIX is not using it now, but you never know they might bring it back.

WOIO might as well go back to either Action News or just 19 News. And whether they change the branding or not (doubt they will) their ratings will still be a status quo, unless they change their content formula. Good luck trying to beat 3 & 8.

• Like 3

There's folks that remember distinctive brands that resonates with a station. Some have dropped the brand just to bring it back. Look at KYW & WLS. I would think folks would be outraged if KGO uses the Eyewitness News name, and KPIX has used it off and on for several years. Yeah, KPIX is not using it now, but you never know they might bring it back.

WOIO might as well go back to either Action News or just 19 News. And whether they change the branding or not (doubt they will) their ratings will still be a status quo, unless they change their content formula. Good luck trying to beat 3 & 8.

WKYC was Action 3 News decades before WOIO even went on the air, so 19 Eyewitness News isn't out of the realm of possibilities.....

• Like 1

Agreed on CBS 19 being their next brand. Even though it was already used from 1996 to 2000, "CBS" is the best thing going for them.

And their logo already represents it anyway.

Couldn't WOIO rebrand as say, "CBS Action News", or worse, "CBS Cleveland News"?

It seems like KNPG-LD would move to Channel 21 from Channel 30 and that Channel 30 could get the KBJO-LD call letters, unless if those change too.

The way I read this is NBC on 21.1 and The CW on 21.2, but that could be changed.

Telemundo would have to go somewhere. Either it gets moved to Channel 30, or stays on Channel 21, but gets moved to a subchannel once the main feed joins NBC. I don't see how it gets dropped entirely, even though a Telemundo affiliate would be better suited for the nearby Kansas City market rather than St. Joseph, the News-Press and Gazette Company's relationship with Telemundo is seemingly about as tight as ABC's with Hearst and Scripps or Fox's with Tribune.

Frank Holland is leaving WCVB to join NBC Boston: http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local/boston/frank-holland-joining-necn-nbc-boston-as-anchor-reporter.html

Susan Tran is joining NBC Boston (after leaving us a nasty voicemail denying it - listen in the link): http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local/boston/susan-tran-joining-necn-nbc-boston-as-reporter.html

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic