Out & About

TexasTVNews

The only permanent weekend news pairing I've ever known and watched at WGN Television, Robert Jordan and Jackie Bange, is about to be broken up.

Robert Jordan plans to retire after 43 years with WGN-TV next month, September 25th.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/08/14/wgns-robert-jordan-to-retire-with-profound-gratitude/

Godspeed to an incredible journalist. Bob is definitely one of the good guys in broadcasting, he will certainly be missed.

• Like 3

Here we go. Some news expansions.

Following what KTVI did earlier this year, KDVR's sister-station KWGN is launching an 11pm newscast beginning September 12.

EDIT: Also KSHB will be launching a 6:30pm newscast, also beginning September 12. Scripps-produced syndie show "The List" will be moved to KMCI 38 at 9pm.

The McLaughlin Group's host & EP John McLaughlin was unable to host the program this weekend because he was "under the weather". This was the 89-year-old's first time missing his namesake panel program since the show debuted in 1982.

Soledad O'Brien will be taking over the hosting duties of Hearst's Matter of Fact starting next month. She will be replacing Fernando Espuelas. The show launched a little under a year ago. The show will continue to be taped at the Newseum and her production company will make specials for Hearst. In addition the show will be syndicated to stations covering 75% of the country.

WOIO's GM will be resigning at the end of the month.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/8/15/cleveland-gm-out

I guess the rebrand to Cleveland 19 didn't go so well

Cleveland 19 is a mess. Their triple digit-market stations have put on a better product than WOIO has put on post-Action-News. Given Cleveland's size, I would hope that it puts something on the level of WBTV or WVUE. Part of the problem seems to be the number of anchor teams, as they simply have TOO MANY ANCHORS to begin with!

Hopefully they can hit the reset button in the post-Dick Goddard era and put a little more ACTION into their product. As former "Dirty Dining" reporter Scott Taylor used to say....they need to "CLEEEAN UP!!!!!"

• Like 1

Another veteran at WVEC exiting. Sandra Parker (with the station since 1990) leaving on her own

[MEDIA=twitter]765461302777184256[/MEDIA]

For those keeping score; that makes four members of the on-air team that had been at WVEC 15+ years leaving (TEGNA buyout/retirement of Joe Flanagan and Velma Scaife; Craig Moeller leaving for St. Louis).

Big news from my station: 5pm/9pm anchor Susan Hiland is leaving after 17 years here at FOX 4. She will work in public relations for the North Kansas City School District.

Wow! Do you know anything more about her departure? That's awfully sudden. She's always seemed like a really nice lady. She had a cool and calm demeanor about her on the desk.

• Like 2

Another veteran at WVEC exiting. Sandra Parker (with the station since 1990) leaving on her own

[MEDIA=twitter]765461302777184256[/MEDIA]

For those keeping score; that makes four members of the on-air team that had been at WVEC 15+ years leaving (TEGNA buyout/retirement of Joe Flanagan and Velma Scaife; Craig Moeller leaving for St. Louis).

She definitely will be missed, although outside of fill-ins and her daily Consumer Minute videos for the web, she hasn't really seen significant air time since the early 2010s when she was on the PM shows.

Big news from my station: 5pm/9pm anchor Susan Hiland is leaving after 17 years here at FOX 4. She will work in public relations for the North Kansas City School District.

Wow! Do you know anything more about her departure? That's awfully sudden. She's always seemed like a really nice lady. She had a cool and calm demeanor about her on the desk.

It was her choice. She won't make as much money, but the hours will be much better.

How do you get one anyway?

You need to be a professional organization that has a need for such a service. I believe subscriptions cost $500/month. There was a trial a year or two ago where Fox sued the company for redistributing content and the likes of NBC and CBS filed briefs in support of Fox's claim. But oddly enough they all subscribe to the service.

Something like TVEyes is the only way I can imagine that NBC Archive on YouTube is able to get the clips. Based on the content of their YouTube channel I don't think they are affiliated with the network.

WBZ is launching an 8pm newscast on August 29th which will air on WSBK (myTV38).

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154446117207010

The amount of news expansion in Boston over the past couple of years has been such overkill. These stations barely have enough amusing content to fill the 11pm and yet these expansions continuously happen. I know, I know, the bottom line is the only thing that matters. :smash:

• Like 1

WBZ is launching an 8pm newscast on August 29th which will air on WSBK (myTV38).

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154446117207010

The amount of news expansion in Boston over the past couple of years has been such overkill. These stations barely have enough amusing content to fill the 11pm and yet these expansions continuously happen. I know, I know, the bottom line is the only thing that matters. :smash:

I don't believe this is an expansion but rather a move. My understanding is the 10pm is moving to 8pm.

• Like 1

In Ansin's announcement that he will not fight NBC leaving anymore, it was announced News will be on WHDH at 9 pm and 10 pm. Smart of CBS to move the broadcast to 8 where there is no competition (for now). CBS does this in NY where news is on TV55 at 9 so they do not compete with the awful Fox5 and PIX11 10 pm newscasts. It also seems to indicate CW will stay on channel 56 rather than move to 7? That surpises me, or will it move to WSBK but begin at 9 rather than 8. I think this was tried in St. Louis with mixes results (though an hour earlier due to central time).

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic