Out & About

TexasTVNews

Not long ago, I said on this forum that WEWS anchor Chris Flanagan would remain at the station. Well, that's not going to happen because he's

going to Beantown. Flanagan is moving to Boston and as weekend evening anchor at FOX 25 (WFXT). His first day is on September 8th.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/cleveland-anchor-moving-to-boston/174400

Guys, PLEASE look and use search before posting. This was literally mentioned two posts above.

Too many people trying to be "first" and not looking before they post.

• Like 7

Some changes over at WSMV in Nashville per The Tennessean newspaper from two days ago:

- Veteran reporter Dennis Ferrier is no longer employed at the station as of this past Tuesday, although no reason was given for his firing. He had recently taken time off to attend his father's funeral in California.

- Weekend meteorologist Nancy Van Camp is also gone from the station as her contract was not renewed. Her last day at WSMV was June 25th.

Also of note, WSMV recently hired Daphne DeLoren as their newest meteorologist. She previously worked at WNEM before joining the station in mid-June. http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2016/06/wnem_tv-5_meteorologist_daphne.html

Well another lawsuit has been filed for sexual harassment from an employee from their boss. The logistics of this case is somewhat similar to Gretchen's from Fox News but in this case, it is a male accusing Armstrong Williams of sexually harassing him (grouping and fondling). The article also mentioned that Armstrong was accused of sexual harrasment in 1997 but settled out of court.

Link: http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/armstrong-williams-faces-sexual-assault-lawsuit/174495#disqus_thread

P.S. I read some more articles about Williams first harassment claims and the current one is very similar to the previous situation.

Looks like some shuffling in the anchor roles at WTKR come September; with Erica Greenway being added to the morning newscasts as an anchor/reporter (though it sounds more like the newsreader position on the network morning shows) and Todd Corillo becoming the weekend evening anchor

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/7/14/shuffling-the-anchors-in-norfolk

• Like 1

anchor/reporter (though it sounds more like the newsreader position on the network morning shows)

If "reporter in the building" is the same thing as I've seen popping up in other markets, it's basically someone stationed in the newsroom who covers news that comes in during the broadcast or is developing but not local or not big enough to warrant sending a live truck out. I figure it's either an attempt to keep from having to constantly feed the anchors in the studio new copy or a way of looking on the ball with breaking news.

• Like 2

Looks like some shuffling in the anchor roles at WTKR come September; with Erica Greenway being added to the morning newscasts as an anchor/reporter (though it sounds more like the newsreader position on the network morning shows) and Todd Corillo becoming the weekend evening anchor

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/7/14/shuffling-the-anchors-in-norfolk

If "reporter in the building" is the same thing as I've seen popping up in other markets, it's basically someone stationed in the newsroom who covers news that comes in during the broadcast or is developing but not local or not big enough to warrant sending a live truck out. I figure it's either an attempt to keep from having to constantly feed the anchors in the studio new copy or a way of looking on the ball with breaking news.

It'll probably be just that -- a "breaking news" anchor to cover large, non local breaking stories who will, on occasion fill in for someone who is off.

see: Sandra Parker on Daybreak. She's done the newsroom, the anchor desk when Andre or Lucy are off AND has filled in for Ashley doing traffic.

• Like 1

WMC Memphis has quietly expanded their noon newscast back to one full hour after truncating it some time ago to 30 minutes. I'm not sure how recently this took place, but their own online guide does not reflect the update yet, so it was almost certainly within the past few weeks, if not launching today.

Staff at KFOR/KAUT were evacuated early this morning (July 20) when a piece of equipment belonging to the Uninterrupted Power Supply unit in the duopoly's rack room suffered a catastrophic failure around 3:40 a.m., with staff reporting power flashes in that area. Smoke from the fire could be visible within the KFOR weather center, as staff were preparing for the station's morning newscast, which was delayed by one hour due to the fire and evacuations (an impromptu newscast was streamed on Facebook Live during the 4:00 a.m. hour, with KFOR presumably carrying a feed of Early Today once master control operations resumed around 4:30 a.m.).

Once NewsChannel 4 This Morning went on the air at 5:00 a.m. after Oklahoma City Fire Department officials gave the all-clear for staff to return to the building, since the computers powering those aspects were offline, pre-roll video footage, the time/temp/logo bug and lower third graphics were absent for much of the program (side-by-side graphics and weather graphics were not affected). The computers delivering the affected footage and graphics were brought back online by 7:00 a.m.

http://kfor.com/2016/07/20/kfor-evacuated-after-fire/

http://kfor.com/2016/07/20/kfor-crews-talk-about-how-they-handled-early-morning-fire/

As a side note, when noting the age of the affected equipment in an interview with reporter Ashley Kringen during the morning newscast, KFOR/KAUT president/general manager Wes Milbourne confirmed that pre-construction preparations on the new studio facility previously announced to replace KFOR's 63-year-old building are underway, rounding the completion date to be sometime around 2018.

• Like 2

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has photobombed Hallie Jackson's live shot on MSNBC.

[MEDIA=twitter]755260192892280832[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]755260596883521536[/MEDIA]

Meanwhile over at FOX News.....

Lassie is getting leg-humped by Rodger.

• Like 3

Staff at KFOR/KAUT were evacuated early this morning (July 20) when a piece of equipment belonging to the Uninterrupted Power Supply unit in the duopoly's rack room suffered a catastrophic failure around 3:40 a.m., with staff reporting power flashes in that area. Smoke from the fire could be visible within the KFOR weather center, as staff were preparing for the station's morning newscast, which was delayed by one hour due to the fire and evacuations (an impromptu newscast was streamed on Facebook Live during the 4:00 a.m. hour, with KFOR presumably carrying a feed of Early Today once master control operations resumed around 4:30 a.m.).

Once NewsChannel 4 This Morning went on the air at 5:00 a.m. after Oklahoma City Fire Department officials gave the all-clear for staff to return to the building, since the computers powering those aspects were offline, pre-roll video footage, the time/temp/logo bug and lower third graphics were absent for much of the program (side-by-side graphics and weather graphics were not affected). The computers delivering the affected footage and graphics were brought back online by 7:00 a.m.

http://kfor.com/2016/07/20/kfor-evacuated-after-fire/

http://kfor.com/2016/07/20/kfor-crews-talk-about-how-they-handled-early-morning-fire/

As a side note, when noting the age of the affected equipment in an interview with reporter Ashley Kringen during the morning newscast, KFOR/KAUT president/general manager Wes Milbourne confirmed that pre-construction preparations on the new studio facility previously announced to replace KFOR's 63-year-old building are underway, rounding the completion date to be sometime around 2018.

Did KFOR get a new set recently? That set looks newer than the one I recall.

Oklahoma City's CBS affiliate KWTV has launched a new technology called StreetScope that allows them to overlay maps live onto their helicopters life feed in addition to some features such as creating maps to calculate space. I imagine they are using this CineFlex Geo+ technology for the overlays. I was wondering when and if a station would ever pick up this technology.

• Like 7

Oklahoma City's CBS affiliate KWTV has launched a new technology called StreetScope that allows them to overlay maps live onto their helicopters life feed in addition to some features such as creating maps to calculate space. I imagine they are using this CineFlex Geo+ technology for the overlays. I was wondering when and if a station would ever pick up this technology.

Even a grumpy old salt like me thinks that's pretty badass.

But if they accidentally fly over an NFL game do they get the line of scrimmage in the shot?

• Like 1

Even a grumpy old salt like me thinks that's pretty badass.

But if they accidentally fly over an NFL game do they get the line of scrimmage in the shot?

I wish, but no because the line of scrimmage is an invisible line and only appears in broadcasts of football games. Hasnt stopped commercials from featuring someone lifting the line of scrimmage and putting it farther back

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic