Out & About

TexasTVNews

WCCB in Charlotte has had that bizarre "WCCB News Edge" at 10:35p for as long as I remember. You'd think once WJZY launched, they'd ditch that concept to compete head to head with WSOC's 10pm show on WAXN and WJZY as well.

Well don't they have a regular 10 p.m. newscast and the News Edge follows after.

As far as talent within, my initial guess was Wendy Carona (maybe even Sophia Choi). I think Wendy Carona and Craig Lucie used to anchor together on weekend evenings before he got promoted to take John Bachman's place.

On second thought, Carol Sbarge could be a strong contender to be Erin Coleman's replacement. I thought she was a long shot, but now I don't know. She's been on not only at noon this week, but also at 4, in addition to 6 and 11 today and Monday when Jovita Moore was absent. I think yesterday she was on at noon, 4,5,6 and 11. I would think if Wendy was a favored frontrunner she would be getting more airtime at the anchor desk wouldn't she? Wendy has only been on twice this week so far at 5pm today and Monday.

• Like 4

On second thought, Carol Sbarge could be a strong contender to be Erin Coleman's replacement. I thought she was a long shot, but now I don't know. She's been on not only at noon this week, but also at 4, in addition to 6 and 11 today and Monday when Jovita Moore was absent. I think yesterday she was on at noon, 4,5,6 and 11. I would think if Wendy was a favored frontrunner she would be getting more airtime at the anchor desk wouldn't she? Wendy has only been on twice this week so far at 5pm today and Monday.

Maybe Sbarge should relinquish the noon news so she could do the 4:00; that way, we would once again have solo anchors at noon: Fred Blankenship on WSB, Kim Passoth on WGCL, and ? on WAGA.

Maybe Sbarge should relinquish the noon news so she could do the 4:00; that way, we would once again have solo anchors at noon: Fred Blankenship on WSB, Kim Passoth on WGCL, and ? on WAGA.

Why not have her do (2) newscast, which wouldn't be hard to do, and I don't think should would want to come in just to do (1) newscast. WSB being the leader likes to have a heavy bench of anchors.

• Like 1

Wow....another major departure soon at WCMH. I certainly hope the upcoming Nexstar takeover wasn't a deciding factor. Jym is a fixture in Columbus and at WCMH.

At least they still have Ben Gelber and Bob Nunnally. Either one could be promoted to the chief slot and they would still have four meteorologists post Jym.

• Like 1

Wow....another major departure soon at WCMH. I certainly hope the upcoming Nexstar takeover wasn't a deciding factor. Jym is a fixture in Columbus and at WCMH.

At least they still have Ben Gelber and Bob Nunnally. Either one could be promoted to the chief slot and they would still have four meteorologists post Jym.

I see Colleen leaving after the sale is completed. I see her leaving in 2017 giving 30 years to the station next year.

KSHB Creative Services Director was arrested on July 4th for domestic battery, but the show went on without him for a promo shoot they recently had. Unlikely KSHB will report it, but it's likely a new position will open up over there..

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/7/8/scripps-creative-services-director-busted-for-domestic-battery

• Like 1

Radio, in Atlanta, Yes, I can see that, but V-103, NO! Staff too heavy, and CBS is getting out of radio I see more cuts @ V, I don't see that happening. I see her going to any of the (3) outlets in TV, or radio, PR. Idk, just speculating-

CBS has said they are thinking about getting out of radio, but that does not mean they are going to make cuts to WVEE. CBS allows the large staff for the station because WVEE is a major revenue maker for them. It's one of the highest revenue generating radio stations in the country. Les Moonves is behind the selling off the radio division notions, but the Redstones have not backed him on this.

Monday Night Football for the Green Bay Packers are heading to WLUK FOX 11. If the Packers don't play in the Wild Card game this season, this would mark the first season in 63 years (since inception) that WBAY 2 has not carried at least one Packer Game in a season.

http://fox11online.com/sports/packers-and-nfl/fox-11-to-air-hall-of-fame-game-packers-mnf-games

• Like 1

Monday Night Football for the Green Bay Packers are heading to WLUK FOX 11. If the Packers don't play in the Wild Card game this season, this would mark the first season in 63 years (since inception) that WBAY 2 has not carried at least one Packer Game in a season.

http://fox11online.com/sports/packers-and-nfl/fox-11-to-air-hall-of-fame-game-packers-mnf-games

Ironically, WBAY's main anchor Bill Jartz is the PA announcer for Lambeau Field.

I've seen stuff about forecaster Geoff Fox doing weather remotely for Nebraska and previously Palm Springs beforehand but Newtek - the equipment manufacturer he uses reposted a link to their blog post featuring his setup.

Anybody know what type of weather services he uses for his forecasts?

Edit: Looked at another post which says his maps and graphics are produced at the station, FTP'd to him and he puts it together.

I've seen stuff about forecaster Geoff Fox doing weather remotely for Nebraska and previously Palm Springs beforehand but Newtek - the equipment manufacturer he uses reposted a link to their blog post featuring his setup.

Anybody know what type of weather services he uses for his forecasts?

Edit: Looked at another post which says his maps and graphics are produced at the station, FTP'd to him and he puts it together.

Recently overheard school yard cutdown in Irvine ....

"Well your Dad does weather from his garage"....

I gotta say he has a nice thing going, and you can expect a whole slew of ex-wx types and some wx-wannabees to try this.

But where do you draw the line?

If this guy is the face of DMA 215 during sharknado season is that OK? What if the station cannot afford any local mets/mitzies?

Sure he is just one guy, but it's a interesting concept that stations are noticing.

Recently overheard school yard cutdown in Irvine ....

"Well your Dad does weather from his garage"....

I gotta say he has a nice thing going, and you can expect a whole slew of ex-wx types and some wx-wannabees to try this.

But where do you draw the line?

If this guy is the face of DMA 215 during sharknado season is that OK? What if the station cannot afford any local mets/mitzies?

Sure he is just one guy, but it's a interesting concept that stations are noticing.

I am intrigued as to what would happen during severe weather especially when the meteorologist isn't able to control the computers?

I'm also curious as to the cost savings - those stations have someone there that is trained to operate the weather computer on staff to upload the files to him . I wonder why they can't rely on one of their anchors to present the forecast for even more cost savings.

Also wonder how much the price point is between this and some AccuWeather services?

CBS has said they are thinking about getting out of radio, but that does not mean they are going to make cuts to WVEE. CBS allows the large staff for the station because WVEE is a major revenue maker for them. It's one of the highest revenue generating radio stations in the country. Les Moonves is behind the selling off the radio division notions, but the Redstones have not backed him on this.

I know that WVEE had to cut some personalities paychecks over the last few years, so it profitable yes, but they've had many cuts over the last 7-8 years.

http://www.tvnewsinsider.com/story/cbs-planning-to-spin-off-radio-stations-in-ipo/ Les, wants his hands in CBS and will fight the Redstones left/right.

Yeah, they have made cuts in the years past, but the station has just rehired former morning drive personality Frank Ski, former slow jams show host Joyce Littel, and former WHTA afternoon jock Emperor Sercy. All of those people have been added to the staff in the past 12 months alone.

The station carries the entire Atlanta radio station cluster alone on its revenue. DC urban sister station WPGC carries its radio cluster in a similar fashion as WVEE with revenue.

I remember reading that back when it was posted earlier this year. Les will have a major battle on his hands that he might not realize with the Redstones over the radio division.

• Like 2

Changes in the sports department at KTVT CBS 11. Keith Russell who was hired to replace Babe Laufenberg last year is moved to weekends, while Bill Jones

moved to weekdays at six and ten on an interim basis. Now KTVT not only looking for a new chief meteorologist in their weather department, they're now looking

for a new sports director/anchor. I could be wrong though.

http://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/f6f363e9bf46045b88d362ebd34a9d86-3715.html

• Like 2

Actually, the longest running anchor team in San Diego (not just mornings). I think Dan and Nichelle have been paired together for over 10 years.

I do wonder if they were not going to renew him, and he just decided to leave seeing as his start date at CW6 is only a few weeks away. Still, this move is very surprising. I am not sold on Greg yet. He still is not ready to take over as an anchor, plus they can't afford to slide down more in the ratings... KNSD has a history of going both ways when it comes to filling anchor vacancies. They hired from outside to fill Marty Levin's spot, and Bill Menish was replaced in-house by Jason Austell. I do think this time around, they'll get someone from the outside.

It seems they are going in house. I just saw a promo featuring Greg Bledsoe and Marianne Kushi for News Today.

• Like 1

It seems they are going in house. I just saw a promo featuring Greg Bledsoe and Marianne Kushi for News Today.

Yeah, saw that on Friday. Greg is ehh. Too vanilla, even more so than Jason. They should have gone outside and filled the position. The AM newscast has been getting stale for years, and they went with the safe, stale choice. Not sure if that's going to help them out in the long-run. Not saying Greg isn't qualified, but they needed to inject a bit of personality/life into the show.

• Like 2

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic