Out & About

TexasTVNews

Even though that's what they may do, I think it's overkill. How about moving Extra to one of those time slots, or more news?

Since WNCN followed suit with WRAL and airs Y&TR at 4pm, I'd like to see them move Judge Mabalean from 9-10am, do an hourlong noon news to fully compete with WRAL and WTVD, air a Judge Judy episode at 1, before B&B at 1:30.

• Like 1

Since WNCN followed suit with WRAL and airs Y&TR at 4pm, I'd like to see them move Judge Mabalean from 9-10am, do an hourlong noon news to fully compete with WRAL and WTVD, air a Judge Judy episode at 1, before B&B at 1:30.

With Nexstar soon taking over, forget it. Unless current M.G. management at WNCN decides to do that, they're just waiting for Nexstar management to take over.

• Like 1

Former WREG and Memphis radio sports personality George Lapides passed away today after a long battle with a lung disease. He was 76 years old, and his death came just days after he signed off of radio for the last time.

WREG has an entire section on their website dedicated to their former colleague:

http://wreg.com/tag/george-lapides/

In a weird move, Topeka's KSNT news director Al Carl is moving to WISH-TV to serve in the same position. I haven't heard particularly glowing reviews of the man.

I've worked with him. I like him, and I think he's easy to work for. He's a total job-hopper, though. Like Johnny Cash, it seems he's been everywhere.

Apparently John Oliver's most recent episode Last Week Tonight has not aired in the UK on Sky Atlantic because of the following segment on the Brexit.

Sky Atlantic is reporting that they are not airing the show until after the European Union Referendum because it breaches OfCom rules. Rules in the UK are apparently very strict where shows have to give equal precedence to both sides. The segment in question was fifteen minutes long and was encouraging them to stay in the EU. Some people on Twitter are speculating it has to do with the fact that Rupert Murdoch is the majority shareholder (at (39.14% through 21st Century Fox) in Sky and that his son, James Murdoch, who is the chairman of the board are both assumed to be in the "leave camp". One of Murdoch's News Corp papers, The Sun, is saying that the UK should Leave the EU while The Times is in the remain camp.

• Like 1

WAVY reporter Liz Palka leaving the station next week (no details on next location; though she mentioned she'll have two roles as reporter and Navy wife -- with her marrying a sailor in a few weeks)

http://pilotonline.com/entertainment/tv/wavy-tv-reporter-liz-palka-to-leave-station/article_c97ce68e-344b-5ee9-81ca-d88137b4a314.html

WKBW reporter Desiree Riley is rumored to be eyeing a jump to the Boston market:

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2016/03/10/wiley-likely-to-head-to-major-market-once-ch-7-contract-expires-at-end-of-july/

Interested to see if she ends up at NECN until the new NBC O&O gets up and running...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but Wiley is indeed headed to NECN/NBC Boston.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2016/06/22/ch-7s-wiley-headed-boston-cable-channel/

• Like 1

Meanwhile, at the studios on Bissonent, Dave Ward got a Guiness World Record for being the longest serving anchor at KTRK-TV. Granted someone (cough Don Alhart) might have an argument

http://abc13.com/news/dave-ward-nabs-guinness-world-record/1395170/

Still... its an achievement, nonetheless. I won't make it to 50 years once I get into the business, but damn sure I'll try.

Looks like Waterman Broadcasting WBBH/WZVN pissed off the local sheriff again.

Apparently they were knocking on doors in Missouri possibly letting a suspect in a murder situation get away.

A few days ago it appears that the station pissed off the sheriff when they questioned why an AMBER Alert wasn't issued until four days after a girl went missing. He ignored their questioning and walked away.

In April the station almost compromised a "major heroin bust" by a report that disclosed some of the sheriff's office's surveillance techniques - one of which included cameras that were disguised as telephone boxes on utility poles.

I can understand why the sheriff is getting angry at this station as they are making his job harder but at the same time it is the stations right to report a story and follow up. That being said I believe the station should not compromise ongoing investigations.

The sheriff sounds like a hothead who doesn't want to deal with the public or press. At the same time this is another negative story about WBBH / WZVN.

Looks like Waterman Broadcasting WBBH/WZVN pissed off the local sheriff again.

Apparently they were knocking on doors in Missouri possibly letting a suspect in a murder situation get away.

Missouri? What would they have been doing in Missouri? Otherwise I agree with you. Report on what's happening, but don't meddle in it to the point of compromising law enforcement activity that's to genuinely benefit the public.

Josh Thomas is out at Tampa Bay's WFLA-TV (NBC). Last year, Thomas was demoted to full time reporter when Rod Carter was moved from mornings to weekend anchor last

year and general assignment reporter raised questions on racial diversity. Thomas has been gone from the station for a couple of weeks, there's no word on why he left or where he's going.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/josh-thomas-out-at-wfla/173361

• Like 1

Jason Austell, longtime AM anchor at KNSD NBC7 is moving over to XETV CW6 as the 4/10pm anchor.

http://www.sandiegoradio.org/2016/06/longtime-news-anchor-switching-stations.html

Not sure why he would leave KNSD for a sinking ship at XETV, but it is what it is. He starts CW6 on July 11th. Curious to see who NBC replaces him with.

• Like 2

I was surfing around FCCInfo (what else would a twenty something being doing on a Saturday night?) and noticed KSTS the Telemundo station for San Jose / San Francisco / Oakland has a license for a STL from Murray, UTAH to some business park right next to the Intermountain Medical Center. I thought this was a screw up on FCCInfo.com I checked out the FCC website and it appears to be genuine (unless of course who ever filed it screwed up as well).

• Like 2

Jason Austell, longtime AM anchor at KNSD NBC7 is moving over to XETV CW6 as the 4/10pm anchor.

http://www.sandiegoradio.org/2016/06/longtime-news-anchor-switching-stations.html

Not sure why he would leave KNSD for a sinking ship at XETV, but it is what it is. He starts CW6 on July 11th. Curious to see who NBC replaces him with.

It makes more sense now that CBS8 has been promoting Dan and Nichelle as the longest running morning anchorship team recently.

A little surprising and a head scratcher for sure in this latest SD Newser development. NBC7 seems to have more stability than CW6 in terms of employment, so was he simply tired of waking up in the mornings? I like to root for underdogs, so I hope CW6 will improve for their news organization in all areas for the better, but their on-air product has been lacking and needs tinkering *AHEM stale graphics package*.

Wonder if Greg Bledsoe is being lined up to take over mornings at NBC7 or someone totally new.

• Like 1