Out & About

TexasTVNews

San Diego XETV CW6

According to the channel info Jim Patton moved from evenings to mornings replacing Marc Bailey. On the evening info it just has Neda Iranpour and Sabrina Fein. Laura Cavanaugh has been filling in lately. Any word on where or why Marc left?

Just checked Marcs Twitter page and he is now in Media Production at National University

• Like 2

Why is Charlotte the biggest US city without Doppler radar?

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article69059387.html

From a TV perspective, this tells me that neither station in Charlotte has their own Doppler. I mean seriously, if you need to rely on NWS Radar, then that means you don't have a Doppler radar of your own and that's pretty sad, especially for a big market like Charlotte.

From an NWS perspective, I think there should be a radar in Charlotte. Every major metro area has one that covers is specific area.

• Like 1

From a TV perspective, this tells me that neither station in Charlotte has their own Doppler. I mean seriously, if you need to rely on NWS Radar, then that means you don't have a Doppler radar of your own and that's pretty sad, especially for a big market like Charlotte.

From an NWS perspective, I think there should be a radar in Charlotte. Every major metro area has one that covers is specific area.

News flash. Most tv stations rely on the the NWS's Doppler for their use. Very few stations can/have Doppler Radars of their own. I don't know how it's sad that a tv station does not have it's own doppler radar... the reality is, that it's a costly expense to have.

• Like 5

News flash. Most tv stations rely on the the NWS's Doppler for their use. Very few stations can/have Doppler Radars of their own. I don't know how it's sad that a tv station does not have it's own doppler radar... the reality is, that it's a costly expense to have.

That's a good point to make. For example all three stations in the Hampton Roads area own a Doppler radar system, but none of them have operated it on a regular basis since the mid 2000's, instead relying on NWS radar (and branding it as their own).

• Like 1

That's a good point to make. For example all three stations in the Hampton Roads area own a Doppler radar system, but none of them have operated it on a regular basis since the mid 2000's, instead relying on NWS radar (and branding it as their own).

Silly question...

Why don't those stations operate the in-house radars?

Your common, ordinary hair dryer (fin dryer in your case) has more power and wattage than any of the in-house systems in that market.

Fin Dryer?

Is that some kind of shark slur?

My brothers gave up their fins for your soup!

So basically they are about 1200 watts?

That's pretty sad.

• Like 1

The landmark doppler balls that TV stations own(ed) and used to flaunt in marketing long ago are almost as extinct as helicopters and editorials.

Lest we forget the problems of being inside of a "doppler dead zone"

And all of the benefits of Doppler 4000 crammed into a concise 3 minutes of promo gold...

• Like 3

Time for some news from Hispanic media:

KTAZ has a new female anchor and a new news director. The new anchor is Jimena González, who starts next week replacing Rebeka Díaz. Díaz was promoted to network as a reporter. González worked in Tijuana and San Diego. The new news director is Miguel Gaytán, who replaces Andrea Ospina. Ospina left to be the deuce at KTMD.

I wonder how much it costs for a station to upgrade their radar system to go HD (assuming that's when they stopped using it) compared to purchasing a new system from WSI or Baron (I heard it's about $100,000 for the computers) and $5000/month for data?

I also imagine that the data and services provided by the updated NWS and TDWR systems is of a much better quality than a stations radar.

I believe WJZ is the only station that operates their own radar in Baltimore. The other three rely on NWS radar from Philadelphia, Dover, DE and Sterling,VA. TDWR from BWI Airport and Andrews AFB. I don't think it's that big of a deal here as all of the radar sites are within 100 miles or so of each other.

• Like 1

The landmark doppler balls that a TV stations own and used to flaunt in marketing long ago are almost as extinct as helicopters and editorials.

Lest we forget the problems of being inside of a "doppler dead zone"

And all of the benefits of Doppler 4000 crammed into a concise 3 minutes of promo gold...

So is that dome still sitting on top of the RCA/GE bldg?

• Like 1

WNCN has cancelled their mid-morning lifestyle/paid programming show, My Carolina Talk. No word on a replacement as of yet, although TitanTV listings still show "new episodes" to be aired through at least the next week.

How bout yet another episode of Judge Judy? Basically, WNCN will air it four times: 9:00, 9:30am, 7:00 and 7:30pm.

• Like 1

True. Cox (WSOC/WAXN) does own a "National Weather Service quality radar" in Charlotte. It has been a promo point in the past. Everyone else has to rely on the NWS radar system exclusively.

How bout yet another episode of Judge Judy? Basically, WNCN will air it four times: 9:00, 9:30am, 7:00 and 7:30pm.

Even though that's what they may do, I think it's overkill. How about moving Extra to one of those time slots, or more news?

• Like 1

emory.jpeg?quality=70&strip=all&w=770

Sad news to report on this Thursday. It is with a heavy heart and sadness to inform you that legendary news anchor Patrick Emroy has passed away of natural causes in his home in Florida. Emroy worked at KMOV-TV (Then known as KMOX-TV) in the 1970's before moving to KSD (Now KSDK) at the time. He was also main 5 & 10PM anchor at KDNL in the mid-late 90's. Emory worked in Los Angeles, Philadelphia, CNN and Tampa where he worked as morning anchor at WFTS (ABC). Patrick Emory was 73.

TVNT would like to take this time to offer our prayers and condolences to the Emory family in this difficult time.

http://www.kmov.com/story/32231494/former-kmov-news-anchor-patrick-emory-passes-away

• Like 1

emory.jpeg?quality=70&strip=all&w=770

Sad news to report on this Thursday. It is with a heavy heart and sadness to inform you that legendary news anchor Patrick Emroy has passed away of natural causes in his home in Florida. Emroy worked at KMOV-TV (Then known as KMOX-TV) in the 1970's before moving to KSD (Now KSDK) at the time. He was also main 5 & 10PM anchor at KDNL in the mid-late 90's. Emory worked in Los Angeles, Philadelphia, CNN and Tampa where he worked as morning anchor at WFTS (ABC). Patrick Emory was 73.

TVNT would like to take this time to offer our prayers and condolences to the Emory family in this difficult time.

http://www.kmov.com/story/32231494/former-kmov-news-anchor-patrick-emory-passes-away

Aww. Sad that he's gone. I think he used to work in Indianapolis as well at WTHR.

So is that dome still sitting on top of the RCA/GE bldg?

I was looking for something unrelated but I came across this link about 30 Rock and apparently NOAA installed a weather radar there in 1961 until it was moved in 1993. I guess WNBC must of bought it and updated it for Doppler 4000.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic