Out & About

TexasTVNews

New Orleans will have a familiar face back on the airwaves as Chris Franklin will be back on the air at WWL-TV on a part-time basis, mainly on weekends. Franklin has not been seen on-air in several months since his contract was not renewed with WVUE-TV in 2015.

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2016/05/meteorologist_chris_franklin_wwl_2812.html#incart_2box_tv

WPTA in Fort Wayne appears to be getting ready to launch a Weekend Morning newscast to compete with WANE-TV.

http://www.careersatquincy.com/story/31819654/weekend-morning-producer-internet-producer-wpta

They are also hiring for a (assuming Weekend) Morning anchor and meteorologist.

That ain't the only station adding morning news soon.

I'll reveal it first on here since I don't have enough details for my blog yet:

KVRR will soon add weekday morning news

KXRM will soon add weekend morning news

I'll have more details as it becomes available.

Sad news coming out of Corpus Christi. Meteorologist Matt Terhune of NBC affiliate KRIS-TV has passed away this morning after a long and courageous battle of brain cancer. Matt leaves behind his beloved wife, Michelle and two adorable children Madeline and Nathan. Matt Terhune was 39 years old. TVNT would like to take this time to offer our prayers and condolences to The Terhune Family and to staff of KRIS 6 News.

Rest in Peace, Matt and Godspeed.

Matt Terhune

(1977-2016)

http://www.kristv.com/story/32082062/meteorologist-matt-terhune-passes-away-at-age-39

Sad news coming out of Corpus Christi. Meteorologist Matt Terhune of NBC affiliate KRIS-TV has passed away this morning after a long and courageous battle of brain cancer. Matt leaves behind his beloved wife, Michelle and two adorable children Madeline and Nathan. Matt Terhune was 39 years old. TVNT would like to take this time to offer our prayers and condolences to The Terhune Family and to staff of KRIS 6 News.

Rest in Peace, Matt and God Speed.

Matt Terhune

(1977-2016)

http://www.kristv.com/story/32082062/meteorologist-matt-terhune-passes-away-at-age-39

I found this article about him, published a couple of months ago.

http://mysoutex.com/bookmark/27147095/article-Weathering%20cancer-s%20storm-%20Faith%20helps%20beloved%20TV%20meteorologist%20to%20keep%20fighting#.VwR1m9bXCPc.facebook

So WSB did something interesting last night.

Rather than show a rebroadcast of "Madoff", they instead preempted it to 2am to show a movie called "Henry's Crime". It wasn't even a big-time theatrical film - it was a low-budget, independent film starring Keanu Reeves. I can't figure out why they did it, but a) did any other ABC station preempt "Madoff" and b) is this par for the course for 'SB? (for those who have lived in ATL longer than I have)

• Like 2

Rather than show a rebroadcast of "Madoff", they instead preempted it to 2am to show a movie called "Henry's Crime". It wasn't even a big-time theatrical film - it was a low-budget, independent film starring Keanu Reeves. I can't figure out why they did it, but a) did any other ABC station preempt "Madoff" and b) is this par for the course for 'SB? (for those who have lived in ATL longer than I have)

Madoff part 1 was bumped in Memphis for the 901 Fest, the Memphis in May finale which may have replaced the Sunset Symphony. And next Saturday's part 2 won't air in Louisville because of the Crusade for Children telethon.

BTW, here's the IMDb page for Henry's Crime:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220888/

• Like 3

Sounds like it was preempted so they could make more ad revenue or offer make goods.

• Like 4

Sounds like it was preempted so they could make more ad revenue or offer make goods.

Did any stations preempt this morning's Monaco Grand Prix on NBC or yesterday's UEFA Champions League Final on FOX?

• Like 1

You won't believe this, but WSVN actually aired the UEFA Champions League Final, live.

According to TV listings, WPLG did show Madoff yesterday and WTVJ had the Monaco Grand Prix this morning.

Meet the Press has two unusual times for this week and next week. The usual LIVE times of 9am this week was instead at 10am due to F1 and will instead be at 8am next week due to French Open coverage at 9am.

Big deal; WGCL on Friday preempted CBS primetime (which were all reruns, of course) for an even better film: "Awakenings" (followed by something called "Raw Travel" at 10:30)!

On two different Saturdays in 2014, it was CBS 46 who ran "Gran Torino" and "Rudy" in primetime. You should say that it was a throwback to their independent days (as WANX/WGNX), when they used to air movies nightly at 8:00 pm.

• Like 1

I have no clue just knew this new girl is replacing her since the PR stated she was hired as weekend morning meteorologist for WTVJ.

I think I have it figured out now. Erika Delgado moves to weekend evenings, Adam Berg weekdays, and the new meteorologist weekend mornings.

Saw this explanation on a VARTV retweet for a power outage at WWLP that (since WWLP is one of Media General's master control hubs) wreaked havoc on several other MG stations (including WAVY/WVBT) and thought it was a joke at first; but yes a squirrel must have went berserk and triggered the outage last week

http://www.fybush.com/nerw-20160530/

Elsewhere, WAVY's The Hampton Roads Show apparently has a revolving door for the female co-host opposite Chris Reckling. Luana Munoz was the latest to exit; with former WAVY morning anchor Kerri Furey brought in as a substitute

[MEDIA=twitter]737400715665149953[/MEDIA]

News Director Larry Perret & Senior EP out at WGCL/CBS Atlanta; Frank Volpicella steps in as new ND coming from KVUE in Austin.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/5/31/blowout-in-atlanta

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2016/05/31/yet-another-cbs46-news-director-departs-this-time-after-20-months/

When will Meredith ever cut their losses here? I'm thinking CBS still hangs on to WUPA so they can either take back their network one day or buy WGCL....

• Like 3

DCRTV now confirms that Veronica Johnson will be joining ABC7/News Channel 8 as a morning meteorologist, working alongside Eileen Whalen. Jacqui Jeras will be leaving the station in July to return to Atlanta with her husband who was just transferred back there.

Also in ABC7/NC8 news, weekday evening anchor and DC/Baltimore news veteran Morris Jones announces his departure from the station.

When will Meredith ever cut their losses here? I'm thinking CBS still hangs on to WUPA so they can either take back their network one day or buy WGCL....

I'm thinking if Meredith doesn't get it act together(Yeah right) they could just sell it to CBS and create a combo with 46/69 under the CBS umbrella. However, I think Meredith wants to merge with another media company. Idk maybe Hearst or Graham. Time will tell on how CBS 46 goes through so many managers throughout the years.

Anchor changes take affect at Wichita's KAKE 10 (ABC). My ole' friend of mine Jim Grimes (Formerly at KDAF and other stations) is now the new evening anchor

and Deb Farris takes over Susan Peters place and joins Jim on KAKE News.

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/blog/2016/06/kake-shuffles-evening-anchors.html

I'm thinking if Meredith doesn't get it act together(Yeah right) they could just sell it to CBS and create a combo with 46/69 under the CBS umbrella. However, I think Meredith wants to merge with another media company. Idk maybe Hearst or Graham. Time will tell on how CBS 46 goes through so many managers throughout the years.

As much as you think Meredith will cut there losses, they won't. The station is probably the cash cow for Meredith and won't give it up unless and only unless CBS makes them a pretty impressive offer.

I am glad for the new ND and I hope he is able to make some great strides with the station and bring forth some of the KVUE ideas and adapt them to Atlanta.

• Like 3

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic