Out & About

TexasTVNews

For those wondering where Shiba Russell's ending up...

[MEDIA=twitter]732304833689075713[/MEDIA]

Official release: http://www.11alive.com/news/local/mornings/shiba-russell-to-join-atlanta-alive-as-morning-co-anchor/197192251

From evening anchor at an O&O in NYC to anchor of the 4th place morning show in Atlanta? Ouch!

• Like 1

From evening anchor at an O&O in NYC to anchor of the 4th place morning show in Atlanta? Ouch!

I heard something about her coming here, but maybe as Keith Whitney's replacement on Weekend Evenings, they still have Blayne Alexander working Weekend Mornings and Evenings right now, time will tell, maybe putting shiba on mornings till Brenda Wood does retire and move shiba to evenings, just a thought

I heard something about her coming here, but maybe as Keith Whitney's replacement on Weekend Evenings, they still have Blayne Alexander working Weekend Mornings and Evenings right now, time will tell, maybe putting shiba on mornings till Brenda Wood does retire and move shiba to evenings, just a thought

Meanwhile, over at Fox 5...

Portia Bruner has succeeded Gurvir Dhindsa on Good Day Atlanta and is groomed to replace Lisa Rayam at noon; also, they've been remodeling their newsroom and temporarily operating from another area in the studio.

In other words...they really want to get everything ready for Stephany Fisher (which will probably be by the fall)!

Meanwhile, over at Fox 5...

Portia Bruner has succeeded Gurvir Dhindsa on Good Day Atlanta and is groomed to replace Lisa Rayam at noon; also, they've been remodeling their newsroom and temporarily operating from another area in the studio.

In other words...they really want to get everything ready for Stephany Fisher (which will probably be by fall)!

Stefany will most likely do 6 & 10 pm with Russ Spencer. Cynne will continue at 5 pm drop the 10 pm and join her 5 pm co-anchor Tom Haynes at 11 pm. This is of course if Stefany is actually joining the station.

I was thinking that too, but usually when the giants in Atlanta retire they try to stay in the market. Monica Kaufman (Pearson)- Jovita Moore. Amanda Davis -Cynne Simpson she had worked at rival station. Brenda Wood I totally seeing TEGNA trying to get Jaquitta Williams who worked at two other stations in the market.

I think the current news director at WXIA worked with Williams at WSB. However anything is possible, and WXIA/ with TEGNA plays fast and loose. The Atlanta market, they like familiarity and most of all the talent in that market have either stayed at the same shop or jump around, but for the top 10 market it not like NYC, LA, or Chicago.

Stefany will most likely do 6 & 10 pm with Russ Spencer. Cynne will continue at 5 pm drop the 10 pm and join her 5 pm co-anchor Tom Haynes at 11 pm. This is of course if Stefany is actually joining the station.

I don't see that. I see Stephany Fisher anchoring the 5pm &11pm and Cynne at 6 &10PM, but I wouldn't be surprise if FOX 5 move into the 4:00PM real estate with news. There several changes they can continue to make. Russ Spencer been with WAGA for 20 years and FOX is looking at makes cuts too. Ken Rodriguez would be Russ' replacement one day. Ken can move into anchor role, and move Ron Gant off Good Day into evening sports. Tom Haynes move him up to Good Day.

• Like 5

I was thinking that too, but usually when the giants in Atlanta retire they try to stay in the market. Monica Kaufman (Pearson)- Jovita Moore. Amanda Davis -Cynne Simpson she had worked at rival station. Brenda Wood I totally seeing TEGNA trying to get Jaquitta Williams who worked at two other stations in the market.

I think the current news director at WXIA worked with Williams at WSB. However anything is possible, and WXIA/ with TEGNA plays fast and loose. The Atlanta market, they like familiarity and most of all the talent in that market have either stayed at the same shop or jump around, but for the top 10 market it not like NYC, LA, or Chicago.

I don't see that. I see Stephany Fisher anchoring the 5pm &11pm and Cynne at 6 &10PM, but I wouldn't be surprise if FOX 5 move into the 4:00PM real estate with news. There several changes they can continue to make. Russ Spencer been with WAGA for 20 years and FOX is looking at makes cuts too. Ken Rodriguez would be Russ' replacement one day. Ken can move into anchor role, and move Ron Gant off Good Day into evening sports. Tom Haynes move him up to Good Day.

Why should Stefany do 5 & 11 as opposed to Cynne? It would make more sense to have Stefany do 6 & 10 pm with Russ and in the future Ken while keeping Tom & Cynne paired together at 5 and Cynne adding 11 pm tho it seems the 11 pm has been a solo-anchor show since it launched and if it remains so then I see Cynne being moved off the 10 pm for Stefany but for all we know Stefany could be Lisa Rayam's replacement at noon & 6 pm.

Possible Pairings/schedules:

Cynne & Tom 5 & 11pm

Stefany & Russ/Ken 6 & 10 pm

Cynne & Tom 5

Tom 11 pm

Stefany noon

Stefany & Russ 6 pm.

And yes I know Stefany anchored 5 & 11 pm as well as 4 & 6 pm at WGCL but that doesnt necessarily mean she would get the same schedule at WAGA.

Seems to me that NBC is going to keep both of their channels alive in Dallas. The station bought a pair of UHF transmitters to get them through the repack and ATSC 3.0 transition. I bring this up because somewhere there was mentioned that NBCU was looking at their options in the incentive auction. If they were going to elect to change bands or sell one station and share a channel they probably wouldn't be buying two new transmitters.

• Like 1

Why should Stefany do 5 & 11 as opposed to Cynne? It would make more sense to have Stefany do 6 & 10 pm with Russ and in the future Ken while keeping Tom & Cynne paired together at 5 and Cynne adding 11 pm tho it seems the 11 pm has been a solo-anchor show since it launched and if it remains so then I see Cynne being moved off the 10 pm for Stefany but for all we know Stefany could be Lisa Rayam's replacement at noon & 6 pm.

Possible Pairings/schedules:

Cynne & Tom 5 & 11pm

Stefany & Russ/Ken 6 & 10 pm

Cynne & Tom 5

Tom 11 pm

Stefany noon

Stefany & Russ 6 pm.

And yes I know Stefany anchored 5 & 11 pm as well as 4 & 6 pm at WGCL but that doesnt necessarily mean she would get the same schedule at WAGA.

In Atlanta, I'm looking at the shape of the demographics and if you look at all (4) stations it's the same white male/black female. I think that what has been their thing. First, is Stephany coming to WAGA? Second, with Lisa Rayam leaving or whatever the case maybe Stephany, will move into the 6pm anchor desk. Cynne already does the 10pm with Russ. I'm just looking at what has been the norm for that market in particular. Nobody, know how anything will shape out. Again, it just my opinion, and not written in stone.

Why? News Edge has done great under Haynes. And why would you assume their sports director would move to news?

We've seen stations streamline talent and moving them away from sports to news. Jeff Hullinger former sports anchor at WAGA now lead anchor at WXIA and does sports there too. Ken has a great personality, and if they were looking to find the right person to replace Russ. Ken, would be great at the job! He's great at doing live shots from whatever game he covering. Russ is a strong male anchor, and Ken also solid, but to me Tom doesn't seem as solid, and that just my opinion. The Edge has done well, but there are time ratings points fluctuate with the competition.

• Like 1

Why? News Edge has done great under Haynes. And why would you assume their sports director would move to news?

Ken did the noon news one time last year while Lisa Rayam was away and they couldn't get anybody (occasional fill-in Joanne Feldman apparently left for the day); it was a bore. What's next, WSB's sports guy Zach Klein subbing for Craig Lucie (or Justin Farmer, for that matter)?

As for 4:00? Fox 5 sure as hell ain't going to give up their beloved "Judge Judy" for news, considering she's still the #1 show in all of syndication (and beating Ellen DeGeneres locally). Since the expansion to midnight, News Edge's audience has continued to grow as most of us wanted a serious alternative to Fallon, Colbert, and Kimmel before calling it a night.

Of course, the only two people who'll end this speculation once and for all regarding Stephany Fisher joining Fox 5 are News Director Mike McClain and Vice President/GM Bill Schnieder.

• Like 2

Former WAGA anchor Amanda Davis was on WGCL last night talking about her DUI's

http://www.cbs46.com/clip/12444985/amanda-davis-answers-questions-about-her-dui-crash

This is the first time Davis has been on TV since her forced retirement from Fox5 after a DUI. WGCL hired her last year as part of their "just a minute" commentary, where longtime Atlanta reporters give their thoughts on the news of day. Before she could start she was arrested for another DUI.

I can't help but think her being on WGCL now is part of a May Sweeps ratings stunt.

• Like 1

Veronica Johnson has quietly left WRC this past Friday with no mention on air or online. Her profile has been scrubbed from the NBC Washington website and social media pages. She's posted two forecasts on her Facebook page. Her Twitter username is still VJohnsonNBC4 but her bio is changed and hasn't been updated since last Friday 13 May.

One or two people on DCRTV are guessing she's going to another station given the lack of on air farewell.

WTKR set to add a weeknight sports anchor for the first time in about 7-8 years this summer with the hiring of KEYE's Adam Winkler

[MEDIA=twitter]732987819136782336[/MEDIA]

Maybe the station's expecting to have something they hadn't had for nearly a quarter-century prior to pulling the plug on the sports report: stability (and perhaps WTKR is planning to highlight Winkler's youth compared to veteran sports anchors Bruce Rader at WAVY and WVEC's Scott Cash).

• Like 2

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic