Out & About

TexasTVNews

It makes me wonder if a move from market 210 to 1 is possible...

It's getting harder and harder to tell the difference. I watched the weekend offerings in Palm Springs and L.A. and they were both just as good / bad depending on how you view.

Large markets need super cheap people just like the smaller ones.

It' s really starting to show.

• Like 1

It's getting harder and harder to tell the difference. I watched the weekend offerings in Palm Springs and L.A. and they were both just as good / bad depending on how you view.

Also, for weather at least, markets in the west are generally smaller than their number appears compared to eastern or central markets due to much less in the way of demanding situations. Many western stations have non-meteorologists on their weather staff, while that is increasingly rare even in small markets in eastern and central states.

I'm defining "western" as west of the Rocky Mountains.

I'm curious to know how much they're not paying her and who she beat out. I've never seen her stuff, so I'm not going to act like she isn't qualified or anything, but it's certainly a surprise given what market she's coming from.

So she's moving to WSCV Telemundo 51? Because I know she does weekend evening weather there and can speak Spanish fluently.

I have no clue just knew this new girl is replacing her since the PR stated she was hired as weekend morning meteorologist for WTVJ.

Can they move it to 2.2 later if they wish?

Do the rules allow or prohibit that kind of simulcast on a sub channel?

WUSA simulcasts their 7pm news on their Bounce subchannel and also will air regular CBS programming over there in the event of longform breaking news coverage or when a Nats baseball game is on the main channel.

Yeah I get the newscasts airing on KICU, but really? KTVU Plus? If you're going to do that, move it to 2.2! Would not put it past them to do the same thing with WMYT in Charlotte.
In fact, why donsn't Fox do the same thing with all their MyNetworkTV stations?

WUSA simulcasts their 7pm news on their Bounce subchannel and also will air regular CBS programming over there in the event of longform breaking news coverage or when a Nats baseball game is on the main channel.
Doesn't Hearst do the same thing on their Me-TV subchannels?

Nope. The last was WWOR and KCOP but gone since 2013 and WFTC but gone in over a decade.
So in that case, the only duopoly partner that has any news is KICU as KTVU Plus. So why don't they start bringing news on their duopoly partners (and in the case for many mynet O&Os that were UPN affiliates, bringing news back)?
  • Like 2

So in that case, the only duopoly partner that has any news is KICU as KTVU Plus. So why don't they start bringing news on their duopoly partners (and in the case for many mynet O&Os that were UPN affiliates, bringing news back)?

Except for maybe WWOR, which requires "news programming" of some sort due to licensing, the reasoning is that it would cannibalize the ratings for their Fox sister stations.

Except for maybe WWOR, which requires "news programming" of some sort due to licensing, the reasoning is that it would cannibalize the ratings for their Fox sister stations.
Then at why doesn't any of the fox O&O stations at least use their mynet stations for overflow of news, or on the occasion that any program (more than likely a football game that starts at about 8 colonial time, 7 central time) that flows into the time period where their (mynet stations) senior partners would normally air their newscasts?

There's a new main anchor over at Houston's FOX 26 (KRIV). Jonathan Martin will take over the 5:00 & 9:00PM newscasts for FOX 26 News starting May 9th. Martin, who most recently served as a national correspondent for Al Jazeera America. Previously, he was weekend anchor and general assignment reporter for WSMV/Nashville. Prior to that, Martin was weekend anchor and daily reporter for WRDW/Augusta, GA.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/former-al-jazeera-reporter-joins-kriv-as-evening-anchor/169447

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic