Out & About

TexasTVNews

TVNewser stated this morning that former WCBS weekend morning anchor Diane Macedo will become the new anchor of World News Now & America This Morning.

Current anchor Reena Ninan will go back to her reporting duties.

Well look at this. After leaving World News Now almost two weeks ago, Reena Ninan has apparently joined CBS News as a correspondant and will also anchor on its online streaming channel, CBSN.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in Orlando, the recently refreshed WFTV has announced Bob Opsahl's retirement. His last newscasts, after 38 years, will happen May 27th. The following Monday, Greg Warmoth will assume duties at 5 and 6, in addition to the 11pm. Jorge Estevez will replace Warmoth on the 4pm.

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/bob-opsahl-announces-retirement/230835965?ecmp=wftv_social_twitter_sfp

Meanwhile in Orlando, the recently refreshed WFTV has announced Bob Opsahl's retirement. His last newscasts, after 38 years, will happen May 27th. The following Monday, Greg Warmoth will assume duties at 5 and 6, in addition to the 11pm. Jorge Estevez will replace Warmoth on the 4pm.

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/bob-opsahl-announces-retirement/230835965?ecmp=wftv_social_twitter_sfp

Therefore, the Echols-Warmoth pairing is broken up AGAIN and it looks like that Warmoth goes from sports to morning news to 4 and 11pm news to main evening news.

Bob Opsahl has been one of my favorites in Orlando. Whenever I turn to Orlando news at home or on vacation to Orlando, I'm always watching Bob. He is definitely a LEGEND and an icon there. I will definitely miss him for sure.

I thought this was a late April Fools' Day joke, but this ain't no joke. It's 100% real and confirmed... KTVU Plus launches Monday on KICU-TV 36.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/mobile-app-ktvu/127581119-story

The biggest programming changes? Mostly in News.

• KTVU Mornings on 2 expands to another hour to 10:00am on KTVU Plus.
  • KTVU's half-hour 6:00pm newscast on weeknights is being expanded to a full hour on KTVU.
  • KTVU FOX 2 News at 7:00 on TV 36 will be renamed to include the new name and will be expanded to a full hour.
  • The 10:00 O'Clock News on KTVU FOX 2 repeat at 11:00pm will remain.
  • If news is pre-empted on KTVU due to FOX Sports, the news will instead be seen on KTVU Plus.

Therefore, the Echols-Warmoth pairing is broken up AGAIN and it looks like that Warmoth goes from sports to morning news to 4 and 11pm news to main evening news.

In my opinion, the Echols-Warmoth pairing is the best thing they've got going for them. Now more than ever, longevity is key in this business, and they've been a team largely on and kinda off since 1997 (though we could split hairs and say they've been together since 1994, I believe, on the weekend shift). No offense to Martha Sugalski - I met her once when she was at WESH, and she was very warm - but why mess with what works? If anything, they could've kept Echols and Warmoth at 4, and have Estevez with Sugalski at 5 - they have a good rapport as well. Then again, Estevez gels with anyone easy. Watch him with Nancy Alvarez if you don't believe me.

If anything, they could've kept Echols and Warmoth at 4, and have Estevez with Sugalski at 5 - they have a good rapport as well. Then again, Estevez gels with anyone easy. Watch him with Nancy Alvarez if you don't believe me.

I already notice that at 10:00pm on TV 27.

At WMC Action News 5, Andrew Kozak and Spencer Denton have switched shifts... not sure what spurred the switch, but Kozak has been out seemingly random days in addition to week-long vacation multiple times over the past several weeks, so that may have been involved in the decision. Additionally, traffic anchor Janeen Gordon has added the role of co-anchor of the 4:30AM half-hour.

[MEDIA=twitter]723126094216462336[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]723124263151144960[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]723086756761985025[/MEDIA]

I wonder if Lisa Rayam will take her place on Good Day Atlanta, making room for Stephany Fisher in the evenings.

I wonder if Lisa Rayam will take her place on Good Day Atlanta, making room for Stephany Fisher in the evenings.

That would be a slap in the face for Lisa, to go to Good Day. However back in 1997, when Brenda Wood jump from WAGA to WXIA; Amanda Davis took over the evenings from Good Day. Lisa Rayam was doing the 5PM news and was moved to Good Day and Cynthia Good moved from weekends to 5PM. However, it didn't last long Cynthia Good left WAGA and Lisa Rayam was back on the 5PM news, and Gurvir became the new anchor of Good Day Atlanta until she left for D.C.

Now in 2016 I see Karen Graham probably moving up doing all of Good Day, but what if Stephany Fisher comes and do Good Day Atlanta? Let see how this shakes out....

WHBQ sports director Matt Stark is leaving the station at the end of May after stating his position has been "eliminated"

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1263251517036167

Naturally that phrasing makes one wonder if this means that Cox is eliminating WHBQ's sports department entirely. Stark had been with WHBQ since 2001. He is looking to continue in the Memphis area so best of luck to him in finding a new venture.

I don't understand this one either.

Now in 2016 I see Karen Graham probably moving up doing all of Good Day, but what if Stephany Fisher comes and do Good Day Atlanta? Let see how this shakes out....

Stephany Fisher on Good Day?! That would be an even slap in the face!

My guess is that Karen Graham will be doing the 7-9 with Lisa Rayam at 9:00 (she'll still do noon); Stephany will be saved for the 6:00 pm with Russ Spencer and of course News Edge with Tom Haynes.

By the way...I remember first watching Gurvir as a weekend anchor/reporter on WLOX some 25-plus years ago.

And I brought this up at work this week, but Fisher's near year-long hiatus from Atlanta TV has already outlasted Maria Stephanos's five-month break in between WFXT and WCVB.

Yeah I get the newscasts airing on KICU, but really? KTVU Plus? If you're going to do that, move it to 2.2! Would not put it past them to do the same thing with WMYT in Charlotte.

Can they move it to 2.2 later if they wish?

Do the rules allow or prohibit that kind of simulcast on a sub channel?

He died!? Wow. That's completely shocking. He's been there for a very long time and its sad that his illness over the last two months is what killed him. This is so awful.

I hope staffers from 'rival' stations can work for WKRC when the staffers can attend his private funeral services, whenever that happens. It would be very respecting and amazement for other stations to do for WKRC in this very shocking time.

Anyways, RIP to one of Cincy's great weathermans because he truly died, doing what he loved.

Most likely Jeff Booth from sister station up I-75 WKEF in Dayton will sub in so that WKRC staffers can attend his funeral.

John Mahaffey, longtime anchor for WAFB and then WBRZ, passed away Friday after surgery to remove a tumor from his bladder. He was 77.

http://theadvocate.com/news/15564113-123/wbrz-tv-says-former-anchor-john-mahaffey-dies-overnight

Longtime weather guy Pat Shingleton did a fitting tribute, doing "A Final Note", which Mahaffey did at the end of each newscast.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/funeral-services-set-for-former-wbrz-anchor-john-mahaffey

• Like 1

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic