Out & About

TexasTVNews

Could this be a sign Fox is going to put KICU in the spectrum auction? Of all the SF stations, it has one of the highest values on the FCC list. KTVU Plus on 2.2 or 2.3 makes way more sense than KTVU Plus on 36, IMHO. Seems like that'd be confusing to viewers.

Well I don't think FOX needs spectrum auction cash like some others do, and I would fester a guess that the viewership via the cable channel is much greater then the sub-channel would be.

My guess is they are just going to "dual image" KTVU and KICU. Not more news or really anything different. Just more consolidation in graphics and places where you can save money.

Somebody elsewhere floated the thought that it may be a news intensive thing. Right now there is no indication of that in any way, shape or form.

It will not be the new home of the KTVU Castaways.

• Like 6

WVEC releases the official retirement announcements for Joe Flanagan and Velma Scaife

http://vartv.com/pdf/WVEC_2016_04_15.pdf (Flanagan)

http://vartv.com/pdf/WVEC2_2016_04_15.pdf (Scaife)

I'm gonna build me a city called "Old News City" and fill it full of Tegna retirees and all the rest of the washed up and disrespected news men and women.

Every night will be awards night...rubber chicken dinners and all.

Major news story re-enactments, story time with Uncle George.

We will have a weather club for all the old weather people.

We will allow drinking, smoking and swearing.

We will bury you with your Emmy.

Die with what little respect you still have left.

• Like 2

I still think it's a joke. Who's Twitter posted it? Link?

Why wouldn't they put KTVU Plus on 2.2? Wouldn't other FOX O&Os follow suit?

Could this be a sign Fox is going to put KICU in the spectrum auction? Of all the SF stations, it has one of the highest values on the FCC list. KTVU Plus on 2.2 or 2.3 makes way more sense than KTVU Plus on 36, IMHO. Seems like that'd be confusing to viewers.

Is it anymore confusing than "KQED Plus" (KQEH) on channel 54? If Bay Area viewers can figure out the difference between KQED and "KQED Plus" I don't think they'd have an issue with KTVU and a "KTVU Plus" (KICU) on channel 36. And, yes I am aware that KQED and KQEH simulcast each others signals.

Also, they could just "neighborhood" all their channels under a common virtual channel number, like say 2. It's not like they don't have a pair of sister stations doing that or anything. ;)

As to the spectrum auction question. I don't see it. "Worse case scenario" they participate and channel share with themselves. So, they'd still keep the KICU license and virtual channel assignment. It would be ridiculously stupid (for anyone) to surrender the license and just move the programming to a subchannel if you have a duopoly in the market. You could accomplish the same thing by channel sharing with yourself and keep the benefits that come with keeping the license.

Well I don't think FOX needs spectrum auction cash like some others do, and I would fester a guess that the viewership via the cable channel is much greater then the sub-channel would be.

My guess is they are just going to "dual image" KTVU and KICU. Not more news or really anything different. Just more consolidation in graphics and places where you can save money.

Somebody elsewhere floated the thought that it may be a news intensive thing. Right now there is no indication of that in any way, shape or form.

It will not be the new home of the KTVU Castaways.

I think you nailed it. It's a new branding/imaging to align the two stations.

Oddly, and this is more to TVNewsLover's question above. But, I'm not sure any other Fox O&O could pull off the "[Call Letter] Plus" branding. Fox for pretty much it's entire history has de-emphasized Call Letters in favor of "Fox [number]" branding. The fact that the KTVU calls still hold value and that Fox apparently sees that kind of speaks volumes to the KTVU brand.

But, I do have one question. Is it safe to assume that MyNetworkTV will be staying on KRON? The affiliation agreement is/was up in Aug./Sept. of this year. It seems odd for Fox to hold out this long, not move MNT to their station and choose to re-brand KICU as "KTVU Plus". I suppose they could still have MNT programming even with the "KTVU Plus" branding. But, The timing seems odd...you know what mean.

WDCW's new 10pm newscast debuts tomorrow night. I gotta say I'm excited for this, thankfully it's not going to be one of those "Newsfix" or "News w/ a Twist" type shows. It'll be interesting to see how local Tribune is going to make this, especially with it being produced from WTVR's studios down in Richmond.

[QUOTE="Breaking News, post: 155230, member: 2334"]WXYZ/ Detroit News Director Dave Manney out. (Newsblues has him going to WNBC) @ns8401 How do you feel about this and what's going on at Broadcast House?[/QUOTE] He came from WNBC, He'll be their investigative EP. He was their managing editor. He only lasted 2 years and 4 months... The product got way way better, the ratings sunk... Go figure. The garbage WJBK puts out works in this lousy market.

My thoughts/observations on DCW50's new 10pm news (so far)

They're using CBS6's main set and graphics, obviously using a DCW50 logo, though.

"Top 10 at Ten": Top ten stories in the first ten mins of the show, however the graphic kept on the left of the screen is obnoxious.

Overall, I think this will be a refreshing alternative to FOX5 and News Channel 8, given time I think this could gain some sort of traction and hopefully develop into an hour-long show all from DC and eventually a morning newscast as well.

It smells more of, "we want to retire the Cox-era 'TV-36' brand, but KRON is holding onto MyTV for dear life, so ehhh... 'KTVU Plus.'"

• Like 1

WHBQ sports director Matt Stark is leaving the station at the end of May after stating his position has been "eliminated"

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1263251517036167

Naturally that phrasing makes one wonder if this means that Cox is eliminating WHBQ's sports department entirely. Stark had been with WHBQ since 2001. He is looking to continue in the Memphis area so best of luck to him in finding a new venture.

WHBQ sports director Matt Stark is leaving the station at the end of May after stating his position has been "eliminated"

Naturally that phrasing makes one wonder if this means that Cox is eliminating WHBQ's sports department entirely. Stark had been with WHBQ since 2001. He is looking to continue in the Memphis area so best of luck to him in finding a new venture.

Either that or they've decided to outsource its sports coverage to a local radio station (most likely to WHBQ-AM).

• Like 2

WDCW's new 10pm newscast debuts tomorrow night. I gotta say I'm excited for this, thankfully it's not going to be one of those "Newsfix" or "News w/ a Twist" type shows. It'll be interesting to see how local Tribune is going to make this, especially with it being produced from WTVR's studios down in Richmond.

wdcw.thumb.jpeg.8ee675345db574999b3048dc17760d9f.jpeg

• Like 1

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/11alives-lost-on-the-line-investigation-wins-peabody/143107488

Now each of Atlanta's Big Three have Peabodys; WAGA won theirs in 1982 (for their "Paradise Saved" documentary) and 1999 (for "Singled Out" (absolutely no relation to the MTV game show)) and WSB's was in 1986 ("The Boy King" TV movie).

• Like 1

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news-1/2016/4/20/kc-station-hires-traffic-reporters-doppelgnger

I used to enjoy reading this website, however, I've become disgusted as of late. First, he posted video of the child of a WFOR producer a while back. You leave family, particularly minor children, out of your stories. No ifs, ands, or buts. Then when the Wendy Bell story broke, there was a story about her almost everyday for many days straight. Now, his new obsession is Kacie McDonnell. He doesn't like when they question him and instead posts their emails (which I'm sure he cuts and pastes to his benefit). Like I said, I used to enjoy reading his website, however, I think he has become a mean bully who has no boundaries as far as crossing the line.

• Like 3

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic