Out & About

TexasTVNews

Following the trend like the other Hearst stations, KCCI will add a new 9pm newscast on its Me-TV subchannel, beginning March 21.

WXII, KETV, WCVB, WLWT, WLKY, WBAL, WMUR, WPTZ and WGAL are the ones that broadcasts local news on their MeTV subchannels. WTAE broadcasts their 7:00pm weeknight newscast on their This TV subchannel.

Btw, what a surprise for KCCI to do this on Me-TV and not on their MyTV subchannel which is also home to H&I.

In that case, shouldn't Hearst own up to 50% of Me-TV?

It doesn't matter if 11Alive goes #4 or CBS 46 goes #3, the top 2 will always be WSB at #1 and WAGA at #2. They are just too good for 11Alive or CBS 46 to even pass them.
In part because of the Falcons' games on Fox 5 ATL (WAGA).

News from Channel 12 in Market 12 from FTVLive:

KPNX ND Sandra Kotzambasis resigned after the station had two bad books. Former ND Mark Casey takes over in the interim.

Less than a decade ago, KPNX was the top dog in Phoenix. The two headed monster that is KPHO/KTVK can't be eating their lunch that badly these days (quite possibly KNXV may be the only bright spot in the Scripps legacy portfolio--no one ever posts the market's sweeps results anymore). Could it be that the station has caught TEGNitis, or isn't Vanessa Ruiz connecting with viewers that well?

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/3/8/phoenix

Speaking of TEGNitis, WFAA is now struggling to keep their position as market leader according to the recent sweeps results, which were posted on the Feb 2016 sweeps post.

I remember when WGNX was an Indy outlet had a 7:30PM newscast, before switching to CBS. By 96 the 7pm news move to 6PM. They did see an influx with CBS' primetime ratings, but I agree Meredith did do a lot more with investing in a new building, resources and more newscast.

I don't see CBS46 moving Y&R unless CBS said so, because Y&R ratings at 3PM wins it time slot & beating WSB-TV. When your in last place you have to do some bold moves, and Y&R is a good lead-in to the 4PM news.

I think another bold move for CBS46 would be to take Wheel/Jeopardy from WXIA.

Also wish TEGNA would drop some $$$ on WXIA to be more competitive and maybe it time to drop the 11Alive moniker, but after 40 years would viewers really be upset because it no longer 11Alive? I know around 93/94 viewers were so pissed off about it no longer identify as 11ALIVE. :( :smash:

There's no way that WXIA would drop the 11Alive branding again because just like in 93/94, viewers would still be pissed about the change in the longtime branding. However, a new logo for 11Alive is more likely.

Wow. Had no idea. But in all fairness, I did say that I may be wrong and I admit that I was. I guess the affiliation switch at the time affected many FOX O&Os that became FOX, including WAGA.

No, I wasn't jumping down your throat, but wanted to clarified on some points. Cleveland, Detroit, Atlanta, Milwaukee affiliates at that time the audience didn't jell to well with the affiliation switch in those markets. However, later on Atlanta, Cleveland those two FOX outlets did rebound. It all good, no worries.
In large part because The Simpsons was a very popular show and was still in its heyday when WAGA and WJW rebounded.
  • Like 2

News from Channel 12 in Market 12 from FTVLive:

KPNX ND Sandra Kotzambasis resigned after the station had two bad books. Former ND Mark Casey takes over in the interim.

Less than a decade ago, KPNX was the top dog in Phoenix. The two headed monster that is KPHO/KTVK can't be eating their lunch that badly these days (quite possibly KNXV may be the only bright spot in the Scripps legacy portfolio--no one ever posts the market's sweeps results anymore). Could it be that the station has caught TEGNitis, or isn't Vanessa Ruiz connecting with viewers that well?

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/3/8/phoenix

KPNX has become what some longtimers may recall as a slogan for another station: "The Place with More Fluff". It's just...not there. KTVK is decidedly un-fluffy (and has been for most of this decade) and KPHO moreso.

Keep in mind that KPNX had to disconnect itself from the Arizona Republic, which was a tall order for both operations and I think a real ding to KPNX's news operation.

KNXV has been on its once-a-decade hot streak. I think they can keep it up this time, though. 15 has managed to shed its "barren" label, and that's rather amazing.

KNXV was good for the first two years or so of their news operation (1994-96) when they started until the staffers who made the startup great left. They then got good again in the mid-2000s, promptly stumbling again. They're back at it now.

KPNX has become what some longtimers may recall as a slogan for another station: "The Place with More Fluff". It's just...not there. KTVK is decidedly un-fluffy (and has been for most of this decade) and KPHO moreso.

Keep in mind that KPNX had to disconnect itself from the Arizona Republic, which was a tall order for both operations and I think a real ding to KPNX's news operation.

KNXV has been on its once-a-decade hot streak. I think they can keep it up this time, though. 15 has managed to shed its "barren" label, and that's rather amazing.

KNXV was good for the first two years or so of their news operation (1994-96) when they started until the staffers who made the startup great left. They then got good again in the mid-2000s, promptly stumbling again. They're back at it now.

But then KNXV will stumble again a few years later. And though KPNX disconnected itself from the Arizona Republic, it didn't do so entirely considering that Gannett's newspapers still work with TEGNA's stations. One thing you forgot about is, what about Fox 10?

But then KNXV will stumble again a few years later. And though KPNX disconnected itself from the Arizona Republic, it didn't do so entirely considering that Gannett's newspapers still work with TEGNA's stations. One thing you forgot about is, what about Fox 10?

I don't know how to characterize them... That's the thing.

Absolutely. KPNX is the king of human interest stories and it seems that the ratio between fluff pieces as opposed to hard news is about 2 to 1. They have been doing this before Vanessa Ruiz even joined the station, and their numbers started to drop once she became co-anchor. There's no mistake that Ruiz was a bad hire, especially over Fay Fredricks, but they wanted their staff "to reflect the diversity of the Phoenix metropolitan area," and many of the Hispanics are already watching KTVW or KTAZ.

As for KTVK, they still have fluff. They're just keeping it relegated to their morning show, where it's all about saying "good morning" to each other. Given their pretty conservative spending approach with their stations, I'm still scratching my head why Meredith decided to keep the two stations' separate identities, including anchors, weather guessers, and graphics packages, while consolidating their reporting staff. But Meredith is known for giving control of their stations to their local managers (other than the decisions with how they use their .2 and .3 channels).

What KSAZ has going for it is consistency. Their main anchor team has been there for much of the past two decades. Sure, once Roger Ailes became Chairman of the Fox Stations Group, they decidedly started to lean right politically on the stories they choose, but familiarity keeps viewers coming back, despite their consistent technical guffaws.

Kimi Evans, formerly of KFMB and XETV just popped up during the 11am news on KNSD. I'm not sure if she is freelancing or is a permanent part of the weather team. Interesting to note that the midday anchors/weather anchor are off the midday show today.

There's no way that WXIA would drop the 11Alive branding again because just like in 93/94, viewers would still be pissed about the change in the longtime branding. However, a new logo for 11Alive is more likely.

Just goes to show that even the worst branding in the world becomes acceptable and loved over time.

"Alive" is so 1970's Storer...and even then it sucked....but if you have people that love it, then leave it alone.

• Like 1

Kimi Evans, formerly of KFMB and XETV just popped up during the 11am news on KNSD. I'm not sure if she is freelancing or is a permanent part of the weather team. Interesting to note that the midday anchors/weather anchor are off the midday show today.

All of them were off???

They probably had to do the NBC mandated sexual harassment training class.

Or it's a promo shoot day.

Did anyone even notice that Preston Phillips of KGTV weekend show has bounced to Phoenix KPHO as a weekend anchor.

He has star wars jammies...and can now afford a real house in PHX.

• Like 3

KRON will soon be competing against KTVU at 10:00 p.m. for the first time since the failed "Early Prime" experiment involving it and KPIX in the early 1990s. As reported by FTV Live and relayed by Roly Ortega's Changing Newscasts Blog, the station will debut a nightly, hour-long 10:00 p.m. newscast in May. However, oddly, the addition of the program will result in the existing 11:00 p.m. newscast being slashed by 15 minutes to 15 minutes in length.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2016/03/10/kron-getting-back-into-1000-pm-news-7-days-a-week-1100-pm-news-shortened/

KRON will soon be competing against KTVU at 10:00 p.m. for the first time since the failed "Early Prime" experiment involving it and KPIX in the early 1990s. As reported by FTV Live and relayed by Roly Ortega's Changing Newscasts Blog, the station will debut a nightly, hour-long 10:00 p.m. newscast in May. However, oddly, the addition of the program will result in the existing 11:00 p.m. newscast being slashed by 15 minutes to 15 minutes in length.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2016/03/10/kron-getting-back-into-1000-pm-news-7-days-a-week-1100-pm-news-shortened/

Another smart reader of my blog. My twitter for the blog, @ChangeNewsBlog, reached 100 followers today. I know its not much, but its something.

Btw, I have another story to relay from FTVLive today and I'll post it here once I'm done.

• Like 2

All of them were off???

They probably had to do the NBC mandated sexual harassment training class.

Or it's a promo shoot day.

Did anyone even notice that Preston Phillips of KGTV weekend show has bounced to Phoenix KPHO as a weekend anchor.

He has star wars jammies...and can now afford a real house in PHX.

Yup. Jason, Marianne and Whitney were all off. I'm guessing Jodi wasn't available which is why they had Kimi fill in. This is going to be one pretty busy month for them.

• Like 1

KGTV's 11am news today (03/10) included a story from Arizona about an abandoned newborn which was "reported by Preston Phillips, reporter"

Just goes to show that even the worst branding in the world becomes acceptable and loved over time.

"Alive" is so 1970's Storer...and even then it sucked....but if you have people that love it, then leave it alone.

actually, it was a combined comm. thing, they got bought by ganett in 1980

actually, it was a combined comm. thing, they got bought by ganett in 1980

Did both Storer and Combined use Frank Magid at some point? And it did linger at a few Storer stations. I mean, KCST was still using "39 Alive" until Storer sold it and it was relaunched as KNSD.

What KSAZ has going for it is consistency. Their main anchor team has been there for much of the past two decades. Sure, once Roger Ailes became Chairman of the Fox Stations Group, they decidedly started to lean right politically on the stories they choose, but familiarity keeps viewers coming back, despite their consistent technical guffaws.

That's a good summary. KSAZ has the market's longest-running anchor team (15 years or so at 9pm, three of the four going back to the 90s or earlier), stability all around, and a flashy, custom Fox look (they use a custom open with a theme that still isn't in the NMSA 2.5 years later) with some annoying right-wing skews (their Flashpoint segment, The Americans with Charlie LeDuff, a few network pieces) and ever-present technical problems.

They're so hard to describe because they are a combination of Big Three station with Fox presentation approaches — and honestly have been ever since about 1997.

KGTV's 11am news today (03/10) included a story from Arizona about an abandoned newborn which was "reported by Preston Phillips, reporter"

Yeah...

That's what clued me into the bounce, I was waiting for (Jason "Cheerboy" Martinez) the anchor tool to mention something because it was news to me for sure.

Yeah...

That's what clued me into the bounce, I was waiting for (Jason "Cheerboy" Martinez) the anchor tool to mention something because it was news to me for sure.

Preston has been gone since December. He and Ashley De Martino are working the weekend shift at KPHO. Go figure.

• Like 1

Which is strange in its own right. It's funny that KGTV most likely took a story from CNN NewsSource and not from sister station KNXV directly.

• Like 1

Which is strange in its own right. It's funny that KGTV most likely took a story from CNN NewsSource and not from sister station KNXV directly.

Yes it came from NewsSource.

CheerBoy (Martinez) looked awkward reading the lead and the tag...he wanted to say something about Philliips...but he didn't...but it showed.

Yes it came from NewsSource.

CheerBoy (Martinez) looked awkward reading the lead and the tag...he wanted to say something about Philliips...but he didn't...but it showed.

Martinez and Cha always have that awkward, deer in the headlights look. LOL

• Like 1

Sounds like WJBF-TV has made the switch from the Media General Group Package by JDK Music to Stephen Arnold's Aerial.

Here's an opening clip from today's Noon news:

Looks like WJBF is trying to get Nexstarized before Nexstar takes over MG.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic