Out & About

TexasTVNews

And now, an anniversary for someone not about to be kicked out the door for 'being there too long (or making too much money)', by the end of their contract.....

Deborah Ferguson, morning co-anchor at KXAS, just celebrated her 25th anniversary with the station. A recent newscast included a clip-reel of several stories Ferguson either reported on or anchored over the years, plus several congrats from locals and well-knowns (and even 1 from her original morning co-anchor, Jeff Eliasoph, who has since moved onto another NBC station) from her career in north Texas. Betsy Price, mayor of Fort Worth, even issued a 'Deborah Ferguson day' in the city.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Deborah-Ferguson-Celebrates-25-Years-at-NBC-5-369251881.html

A separate clip on the same page shows Savannah Guthrie from Today adding well-wishes on behalf of the show.

Hard to believe it's been 25 years...congrats Deborah!

Out with the old and in with the new in Tampa Bay. Long-time sports director/anchor Chip Carter at FOX 13 Tampa Bay (WTVT) signed off for the last time last week on a Friday. Succeeding him in his place as sports director/anchor is Scott Smith of Washington DC's WTTG. Smith takes over for the sports anchoring duties this Wednesday.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/scott-smith-named-sports-director-at-wtvt/164839

Chip Carter's Signs Off: http://www.fox13news.com/about-us/fox-13-staff/98040869-story

This tweet will say it all...

[MEDIA=twitter]703013618548391936[/MEDIA]

I wonder how WKBN will program it's E/I seeing as how they're constrained by CBS starting at Noon often. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if, Fall 2016, 27 programs either news or an infotainment show at 4pm, and FINALLY expands the morning news to 4:30am.

I wonder how WKBN will program it's E/I seeing as how they're constrained by CBS starting at Noon often. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if, Fall 2016, 27 programs either news or an infotainment show at 4pm, and FINALLY expands the morning news to 4:30am.

All three still do news at 5:00am. And if not at 4pm, then maybe at 6:30pm on FOX Youngstown?

• Like 1

San Francisco's NBC Bay Area (KNTV 11) has hired Jaxon Van Derbeken as a general assignment reporter, Chris Cumura as a consumer investigator

and Colin Resch as sports reporter.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/kntv-hires-in-news-and-sports/164908

And Denise Valdez of Las Vegas KLAS (CBS) will succeed the retiring Paula Francis in early April.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/tv/denise-valdez-replace-retiring-paula-francis-channel-8

All three still do news at 5:00am. And if not at 4pm, then maybe at 6:30pm on FOX Youngstown?

All 3 start at 5am. WYTV has morning, 6pm and 11pm newscasts, the 530pm news was removed in Sept 2015. I could see Newswatch27 starting a 430am newscast. Whoops 27 first news. 4pm newscast in Youngstown market it could happen, if no more stronger syndicated programs are produced. WFMJ has a strong syndicated line-up, with Live, Judge Judy, Dr.Phil, Hot Bench and Ellen as a lead in to 6pm news. WFMJ is one the few stations to carry that many strong syndicated shows. If they had WOF and Jep they would have it made.

Youngstown was a very late market to get a FULL HOUR of news at 5pm. If I remember correctly, WYTV was the first to do a 5:30 news back around 2004 when they were a stand-alone station. WKBN had a 5pm half hour show for years, and only went a full hour when WYTV's newscast was rolled over to WKBN a few years ago.

WFMJ never had a 5pm show, thanks to Oprah, and now Ellen.

Emily Miller is gone from WTTG. She was the chief investigative reporter. FTVLive reported that earlier this month the was working on a story about a charter school that had a black / white segregated fountain that was spiked after the dean complained. Apparently she promoted the story even after it was canned and hadn't been seen since.

Emily is also a pro gun advocate (I'm not against guns but think there should be controls) who has spoken at the Maryland state house and wrote a book entitled Emily Gets Her Gun: But Obama Wants to Take Yours . Surprisingly the station had no problem with their chief investigative reporter taking a stance on this controversial issue.

It's a Fox O&O...so not really, considering she took the "right" stance.

Sinclair announces her hire in 3...2...1...

Youngstown was a very late market to get a FULL HOUR of news at 5pm. If I remember correctly, WYTV was the first to do a 5:30 news back around 2004 when they were a stand-alone station. WKBN had a 5pm half hour show for years, and only went a full hour when WYTV's newscast was rolled over to WKBN a few years ago.

2014 was the year when WYTV discontinued their 5:30pm newscast and moved it to WKBN and is currently home to the area's ONLY hour-long 5:00pm newscast.

WKBN started the first 530pm newscast in early 90s. In 1998 they move to 5pm. WYTV added 5pm newscast in early 2000s displacing Judge Judy over to WFMJ. You are correct WFMJ has never had a 5pm newscast. They carried Maury at 5pm when it first debuted in 1992 then Oprah was on at 4pm. Then not sure what year they flipped it around.

• Like 1

Actually, WKBN used to do a 5:30 show back in the 90s until it moved to 5 in the early 2000s. WYTV actually had a hour-long 5pm news from 2004 to 2009 when they dropped the 5pm for "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader".

• Like 1

New Orleans will lose a unique legend this Wednesday, March 2 as WVUE FOX8 Chief Meteorologist Bob Breck retires after nearly 40 years in New Orleans. Ch. 8 will air a one-hour special on Wednesday (03-02-16) from 6-7 p.m. CDT.

David Bernard will officially take Bob's place as chief meteorologist after that.

Here's a follow-up from this thread.

The Daily Variety posted last night that former host of long time Saturday night program Sabado Gigante, Don Francisco, has landed a new job as senior national correspondent at Telemundo.

He will also be involved in a new joint production venture with the network.

Wish I saw this before starting this thread.

Rob Williams of Cincinnati's WXIX FOX 19 is moving from mornings to evenings starting Monday, March 14. Williams has anchored mornings at the FOX affiliate

since 1998.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/cincinnati-station-moves-am-anchor-to-evenings/165057

Scott Inman of Little Rock's ABC station KATV is leaving after 17 years at the station.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/tearful-goodbye-for-arkansas-anchor/165048

WBTV has FINALLY overtaken WSOC in the ratings for the first time since 1990.

Here's the numbers from the Charlotte Observer

In the 10pm race, WAXN still has a solid lead over WCCB, but CCB's numbers are down from last year. WJZY is still in the basement with anemic numbers despite some gains (and a sharp decline at 10pm).

If only WBTV and WCCB joined forces....then they would be a force to be reckoned with. But given Bahakel's refusal to sell (and causing a total monopoly in Montgomery, AL if they did so), a merger with Raycom would never happen.

• Like 1

WBTV has FINALLY overtaken WSOC in the ratings for the first time since 1990.

Here's the numbers from the Charlotte Observer

In the 10pm race, WAXN still has a solid lead over WCCB, but CCB's numbers are down from last year. WJZY is still in the basement with anemic numbers despite some gains (and a sharp decline at 10pm).

If only WBTV and WCCB joined forces....then they would be a force to be reckoned with. But given Bahakel's refusal to sell (and causing a total monopoly in Montgomery, AL if they did so), a merger with Raycom would never happen.

I know this sounds like a post for Speculatron 9000, but if the Raycom/Bahakel merger happened, WFXB would be merged with WMBF, WBBJ would be all alone, WBTV is with WCCB, WOLO joins WIS (in which one of them would have to be sold off) and WAKA/WNCF/WBMM would join WSFA (in which for sure, somebody would have to be sold).

• Like 1

In

New Orleans will lose a unique legend this Wednesday, March 2 as WVUE FOX8 Chief Meteorologist Bob Breck retires after nearly 40 years in New Orleans. Ch. 8 will air a one-hour special on Wednesday (03-02-16) from 6-7 p.m. CDT.

David Bernard will officially take Bob's place as chief meteorologist after that.

Breck is the last remaining hire during Alec Gifford's era at WVUE to persevere at the station. My forecast: warm wishes and a sunny retirement for Bob! :)FB_IMG_1456099714941.jpg.d21660a0866bc84d22e1654ef3982f26.jpg

• Like 5