Out & About

TexasTVNews

It's a Cox thing for some reason as I believe WSB-TV does this as well.

Yes. WFTV, WSOC, WHIO and WSB all do weekend 12:00pm noon newscasts. WFLA does their on Sundays only for an hour and WKYC used to do one until they canned it back in September of last year. I'm surprised that no station in Los Angeles does one, considering how many hours all LA news stations do, each weekday and there's still a huge amount on weekends too.

Per WREG's Twitter feed, the station is adding a "new" face to their morning newscasts beginning Monday morning (adding that she is a familiar one to Memphis television).

[MEDIA=twitter]698192202565025792[/MEDIA]

My guess is that it's Donna Davis, who hasn't been in the news business since 2008 when WMC-TV was forced to lay people off due to budget cuts by Raycom at the time.

• Like 1

Yes. WFTV, WSOC, WHIO and WSB all do weekend 12:00pm noon newscasts. WFLA does their on Sundays only for an hour and WKYC used to do one until they canned it back in September of last year. I'm surprised that no station in Los Angeles does one, considering how many hours all LA news stations do, each weekday and there's still a huge amount on weekends too.

I'd say it would be difficult to have a regularly scheduled noon newscast on the west coast due to sports being well underway. There probably would be numerous preemptions that I'd think would make it difficult for them to find a dedicated audience.

• Like 3

I'd say it would be difficult to have a regularly scheduled noon newscast on the west coast due to sports being well underway. There probably would be numerous preemptions that I'd think would make it difficult for them to find a dedicated audience.

Yep. The East Coast is lucky. But also, the West Coast is more towards having 5pm weekend news than the East Coast where if you are CBS and NBC in the East Coast, forget it. ABC is more relaxed now and so much so that WABC 7 has 5pm weekend news, several FOX affiliates in the East Coast (WOFL, WSVN are examples) have 5pm news, CW if it has a news department (WPIX 11 does one) and MyTV, but there's no MyTV stations with news departments in the East Coast.

UPDATE: As of January, an ex-CBS46er has joined Fox 5; that's the good news.

The bad news (at least for now)? It's Annalee Penny; however, Stephany Fisher may still join her as she was reportedly in contacts with David Chandley and other Fox 5 talent on Twitter. My guess is they'll make some sort of official announcement by May sweeps, meaning the new "News Edge at 11" with her and Tom Haynes will still not be far behind.

As for Penny? Fox 5 needed their own version of WSB's Heather Catlin, and that they may be developing a "Hot Topics"-like show around her on the weekends. Stay tuned!

Per WREG's Twitter feed, the station is adding a "new" face to their morning newscasts beginning Monday morning (adding that she is a familiar one to Memphis television).

My guess is that it's Donna Davis, who hasn't been in the news business since 2008 when WMC-TV was forced to lay people off due to budget cuts by Raycom at the time.

That seems most likely. Donna Davis actually recently co-hosted a few episodes of 'Local Memphis Live' on WATN a month or so ago. Perhaps the bigger question may be whether a substantial format change may be coming to WREG's morning show, similar to the change WMC has undergone over the last year with three anchors (but with more of a primary focus on two female anchors), assuming Markova Reed is staying which there is no indication she isn't.

NorthPine has given us a better understanding of what "KXJB-D2" was meant regarding the CW affiliation agreement with Gray:

Gray Television has brought the KXJB callsign back to the Fargo market. The FCC says low-power station K30LT-D (Horace), which is not yet on the air, became KXJB-LD on Jan. 27. KXJB was the callsign associated with the CBS affiliation in the market for decades until Gray moved "KX4" to channel 11.2 of KVLY-TV in 2014. The KXJB callsign had been parked on a Gray translator in Wyoming. Gray announced last year that it would carry the CW on KXJB-D2 in Fargo, though that announcement was made before the callsign was changed. Gray is taking the CW affiliation from Forum's WDAY-DT2 (Fargo) and WDAZ-DT2 (Devils Lake-Grand Forks) this fall. (2/14/2016)

That seems most likely. Donna Davis actually recently co-hosted a few episodes of 'Local Memphis Live' on WATN a month or so ago. Perhaps the bigger question may be whether a substantial format change may be coming to WREG's morning show, similar to the change WMC has undergone over the last year with three anchors (but with more of a primary focus on two female anchors), assuming Markova Reed is staying which there is no indication she isn't.

Well, as it turns out the new face of WREG's Daybreak was really more of a promotion from within the station than an actual new person joining the staff. Reporter Stephanie Scurlock has moved to weekday mornings to anchor alongside Markova Reed as of today (she was previously a weekend anchor before then). Not sure what this means for Adam Hammond though since he wasn't on air this morning.

EDIT: Per Adam Hammond's Facebook page, he recently accepted an anchor job at a news station in another city. Unfortunately, WREG was unwilling to let Hammond finish out his current contract and immediately replaced him at the morning anchor desk with Scurlock.

NorthPine has given us a better understanding of what "KXJB-D2" was meant regarding the CW affiliation agreement with Gray:

NorthPine said:

Gray Television has brought the KXJB callsign back to the Fargo market. The FCC says low-power station K30LT-D (Horace), which is not yet on the air, became KXJB-LD on Jan. 27. KXJB was the callsign associated with the CBS affiliation in the market for decades until Gray moved "KX4" to channel 11.2 of KVLY-TV in 2014. The KXJB callsign had been parked on a Gray translator in Wyoming. Gray announced last year that it would carry the CW on KXJB-D2 in Fargo, though that announcement was made before the callsign was changed. Gray is taking the CW affiliation from Forum's WDAY-DT2 (Fargo) and WDAZ-DT2 (Devils Lake-Grand Forks) this fall. (2/14/2016)

And the other two translators that'll serve north of that LP are K28MA-D Argusville & K30LR-D Grand Forks.

Denise White is back on Tampa Television.

She's now doing University Beat with co-host Hetal Gandhi, Sunday nights at 6:30pm on WUSF Channel 16, the secondary PBS station in Tampa.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/92329/wusf-tampa-hires-two-journalists

Glad to hear that Denise White is back on Tampa Television. Well respected, well honored and well deserved. Plus, I guess she wasn't ready to "retire" after all.

• Like 1

Sad Breaking news everyone. WBNS Drops This Is Your News after it has been used since 1998.

WBNS-TV_Logo.png

If by "sad" you mean "a little disappointing", and by "breaking news" you mean "happened a week ago", then yes, that's some "Sad Breaking News".

• Like 4

If by "sad" you mean "a little disappointing", and by "breaking news" you mean "happened a week ago", then yes, that's some "Sad Breaking News".

Yeah i meant a week ago my bad. also what's worse they took the News part of the logo out so now its just Simply 10.