Out & About

TexasTVNews

I'd like Nexstar to the low powered stations along with WABG, and Raycom or Gray buying WXVT.

Also, WDCW could launch a second 10 PM newscast in DC that will come from WTVR:

http://dcrtv.com/

Or more accurately: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/wdcw-50-psip-in-washington-dc-considering-a-10-pm-newscast.357550/

The last time they had a newscast was in 1991 when WRC produced a 7:30pm show for then when they were WFTY (IND). If this all falls into place, I hope they take a harder approach than WTTG and for the love of God, none of that NewsFix or News with a Twist shit.

• Like 1

Weird things at KCTV in Kansas City.

1) Weekend meteorologist Hallie Shulman is leaving for a PR job in the area. http://kcradio.robzerwekh.com/

2) KCTV fired a staffer because apparently the KC Chiefs didn't like...a headline that was written. http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/2/8/canned-in-kc

3) Their ND seems to be reaching out to new/potential new hires about openings at the station http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/2/8/thats-what-dms-are-for

NewsFix wouldn't work in the District. It's too serious of a market for that.

I think Tribune knows this. IIRC they were planning on doing news in the early 2000s but the 9/11-related economic slowdown killed that and planned launches at WATL and then-WEWB.

It is long, long, LONG overdue to launch though. I'm amazed that Tribune never entered a news share with anyone for that long, the market for a second 10:00 newscast in that market has been there for a long time.

NewsFix wouldn't work in the District. It's too serious of a market for that.
It doesn't really work well here in DFW either because it too is too serious of a market (not as much as DC, but still). It might work better in Miami than it would in DC, DFW, or even Houston in that matter.

I think Tribune knows this. IIRC they were planning on doing news in the early 2000s but the 9/11-related economic slowdown killed that and planned launches at WATL and then-WEWB.

It is long, long, LONG overdue to launch though. I'm amazed that Tribune never entered a news share with anyone for that long, the market for a second 10:00 newscast in that market has been there for a long time.

Yet they had a news share for KRCW with KGW, but that's pretty much it. And why don't they go back to traditional newscasts similar to what WGN, PIX11, and KTLA have?

It doesn't really work well here in DFW either because it too is too serious of a market (not as much as DC, but still). It might work better in Miami than it would in DC, DFW, or even Houston in that matter.

Don't say it works in Miami because for sure I don't watch it. There's no competition against the gorilla WSVN 7 during the 10:00pm timeslot. As many as 250-300K people (to my knowledge of the last ratings period done about Miami) regularly watch their 10:00pm newscast.

Don't say it works in Miami because for sure I don't watch it. There's no competition against the gorilla WSVN 7 during the 10:00pm timeslot. As many as 250-300K people (to my knowledge of the last ratings period done about Miami) regularly watch their 10:00pm newscast.
In that case, it doesn't work on those other markets I just mentioned either
  • Like 1

BREAKING NEWS: I lost count of how many people retired from Tampa Bay's FOX 13 WTVT, but now long time sports director/anchor Chip Carter is hanging up the mike. Chip joined WTVT in 1988 as sports anchor and reporter until 1996 when he was named sports director after the death of long-time sportscaster Andy Hardy from throat cancer. Carter is retiring 2 1/2 weeks from Friday (Feb. 26th).

http://www.fox13news.com/about-us/87813859-story

BREAKING NEWS: I lost count of how many people retired from Tampa Bay's FOX 13 WTVT, but now long time sports director/anchor Chip Carter is hanging up the mike. Chip joined WTVT in 1988 as sports anchor and reporter until 1996 when he was named sports director after the death of long-time sportscaster Andy Hardy from throat cancer. Carter is retiring 2 1/2 weeks from Friday (Feb. 26th).

http://www.fox13news.com/about-us/87813859-story

is there a secret massacre change going on there?

TVNewsCheck stated last night that Miami's ABC station WPLG will be adding a half-hour to it's weekend morning newscast. Beginning this Saturday, WPLG's weekend morning show will start airing at 5am, instead of 5:30am.

Now the article doesn't state that the show ends at 8am for GMA, and comes back on at 9am.

Beginning this Saturday, WPLG's weekend morning show will start airing at 5am, instead of 5:30am.

Why does a weekend morning newscast need to start at 5am? Is there really that much happening in Miami? It's 5am on a Saturday, most people in the city are gonna be well asleep.

• Like 2

Why does a weekend morning newscast need to start at 5am? Is there really that much happening in Miami? It's 5am on a Saturday, most people in the city are gonna be well asleep.

So why is Florida markets like WPB (WPTV 5/WPEC 12 - Sat./WPBF 25) and Orlando (WESH 2/WKMG 6 - Sat./WFTV 9) are up at 5:00am on weekends? Plus, why are markets like Boston and Los Angeles and Chicago and Philadelphia and... you get the point by now.

So why is Florida markets like WPB (WPTV 5/WPEC 12 - Sat./WPBF 25) and Orlando (WESH 2/WKMG 6 - Sat./WFTV 9) are up at 5:00am on weekends? Plus, why are markets like Boston and Los Angeles and Chicago and Philadelphia and... you get the point by now.

I'm just surprised that the guy over at the Changing Newscast blog didn't catch this one. However, I'm sure it will be reported as "First on the Blog" despite it already being known (as other things have).

I'm just surprised that the guy over at the Changing Newscast blog didn't catch this one. However, I'm sure it will be reported as "First on the Blog" despite it already being known (as other things have).

Oh no. Because TVNewsCheck already reported it, I'm not gonna put FIRST ON THE BLOG for that reason.

The point is that they aren't but the extra ad revenue by selling news there is wide awake in a presidential year. Nobody is up at 5am on Saturday.

The one I really don't get is WFTV having a noon newscast on the weekends when their isn't any sports programming. Can anyone explain the logic on that one?

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic